Vulcan Bagger Forums

Vulcan Bagger Forums (http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/index.php)
-   1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager (http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Voyager Fuel Filter (http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49139)

Pilot747 02-07-2020 02:18 PM

Voyager Fuel Filter

1 Attachment(s)
I just changed the filter, and thanks to the person that posted all the info on how to do it. I printed all the pictures and instructions and followed them. I didn't experience any problems. Sorry I can't remember who it was but many thanks. Anyway, My Voyager has 72000 miles. I found some foreign material right at the inlet. I have no idea what it is. Had to be effecting the fuel flow I would guess. I was experiencing some stumbling, best way for me to describe it, when starting out shifting into 2d and moderate acceleration. I'm not talking wide open throttle, half to maybe 3/4 open. I didn't notice that after replacing the filter. Many thanks again to whoever posted that info on here or another forum. :tup:

Peg 02-07-2020 09:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's Mike Fay posting on the Kawasaki 1700 Voyager Owners Facebook group who we get to thank for starting to spread the word and the photo guide to change the fuel filter. Mike's a fairly new member here, but I've known him for some time now as a moderator over on another Vulcan site... Thanks Buddy!

I've just finished the same job myself, so here's my own obligatory filter photo.

I saved Mike's photos to pdf, and will copy them over into a tech guide on here if I can get access to start a thread in there.

mrt 02-08-2020 09:56 AM

I always thought that the filter was not replaceable. Will be very interested in seeing instructions. Is the filter a Kawasaki part or after market?

Vulcanrider03 02-08-2020 10:21 AM

fuel filter

following... where is it located ? how do u change it ?

Ponitail 02-09-2020 07:56 AM

Interesting read. I'm curious as to what years this applies to. My brother and I have 2013's. The service manual I have shows a picture of the filter incorporated with the pump and can only be replaced if you replace the entire pump. Quote right from the service manual:

"Fuel Filter Cleaning
○ The fuel filter [A] is built into the pump and cannot be
cleaned or checked.
If the fuel filter is suspected of clogging or being damaged,
replace it with the fuel pump as a set."

Peg 02-09-2020 11:54 AM

I'm off to work shortly so don't have time right now, but I'll post Mike's photo guide to dismantling and servicing that un-serviceable fuel pump in this thread later today.

ballbreaker 02-09-2020 12:41 PM

looking forward to the pics and write up. Thanks Peg

Pilot747 02-09-2020 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponitail (Post 717897)
Interesting read. I'm curious as to what years this applies to. My brother and I have 2013's. The service manual I have shows a picture of the filter incorporated with the pump and can only be replaced if you replace the entire pump. Quote right from the service manual:

"Fuel Filter Cleaning
○ The fuel filter [A] is built into the pump and cannot be
cleaned or checked.
If the fuel filter is suspected of clogging or being damaged,
replace it with the fuel pump as a set."

Mine is a 2013. The procedure is not covered in the service manual. Kawasaki wants you to buy a new fuel pump. Only makes sense, they make more money than selling you a small filter.

Peg 02-09-2020 10:32 PM

Mike Fay's fuel filter service guide

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks Mike Fay! Replacement fuel strainers are available here (Quantum Fuel Systems) at $14.95 for 3 of them. They ship international for reasonable prices, but I used a shipping agent.

I've seen some argument over on the Facebook site where Mike first posted this about whether it's really necessary to do this, and whether it'll look just the same in a couple of months anyway. As you can see from his photos, Mike found crap in his filter, and I found some in mine too (no wildlife like his though). My bike seems to me to run a little better now it's done, and if my pump ever fails in the future, I now know how to get in there to change that part only.

Photo 1
Upon removing this plate and fishing the fuel pump with float there will be a small amount of fuel leakage. I did sop up about 3 paper towels.

Note this is also how it looked when I was done. The service manual suggest a star tightening pattern of the bolts at 87 in/lbs torque. (Oh and Blue Loctite)

Photo 2
I did not remove the rubber O-Ring - just wiped it off.

Photo 3
The filter is located at the bottom behind the two wire connections by mounting plate. Pay close attention as to how the wires route. They need to be disconnected and taken out to the guides to disassemble the pump.

Peg 02-09-2020 10:37 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Photo 4 & 5
You need to remove the little plate with the 3 screws. You will also need to fish the wires through the little black clip to remove the plate.

Photo 6
Once the top mounting plate is removed - the fuel pump is in two pieces and slides down on the two metal rails. You will need to do a little prying to release the top part from the bottom. There is an O-ring. I pulled it off to allow the bottom to come off.

Photo 7
This shows the point where I pried to get it apart.

Peg 02-09-2020 10:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Photo 8 & 9
As it came apart, I realized I had to release the wires from the clip. You can see the O-ring lower left.

Photo 10
These two slip on electrical connectors must be removed. I took pictures to be 100% sure which one went where. Not sure what will happen if you reverse them - I really don't want to know.

Photo 11
This is what the fuel pump looks like after removing from the bottom housing. Note that you have to remove the two electrical connections to get the pump to lift out.

Peg 02-09-2020 10:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Photo 12
The filter all Yucky is tucked in the bottom. Pay attention to the orientation of the filter Cause the new ones gotta go back in just like this.

Photo 13
New one on the right. (duh) you just stuff the edges down in the housing. There is a nipple on the other side that kinda sits in place.

Photo 14
This picture is to show How I propped up my tank while I did the job.

<guide ends>

Ponitail 02-10-2020 06:31 AM

Thanks for the write up Peg! Looks like I'll have to add that to my list this spring.

Ponitail 02-11-2020 06:39 AM

Got all of this info saved to my laptop. Can't help but wonder how all those bugs got in the fuel system. Are they flying into the tank when filling, or are they coming from the pumps at the gas station? Makes you wonder about the gas you're paying a premium price for doesn't it?

ballbreaker 02-11-2020 11:42 AM

Thanks for the great write up and pics Peg