Vulcan Bagger Forums

Vulcan Bagger Forums (http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager (http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   gas in the oil (http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38279)

Mr-Grimm 06-07-2014 11:00 PM

gas in the oil

Ok, I did my first oil change today, it was a bit overdue at 1300 miles but the dealer can't get me in for first service till the 14th.

I drained out the old oil and got a bit on my hand, just wiped it off and finished the change. After I was done my hand smelled like gasoline. I couldn't figure out where I got gas on me. I smelled the oil in the drain pan and it reeked of gas. Checking the oil level in the bike after a ride the dipstick smells like gas too.

Google searches tell be it's probably a faulty fuel petcock or the float in the carb is stuck open. Nothing about fi bikes.

What the hell is going on here? The only thing I've done is put slip on exhaust on her.

vulcanscott 06-08-2014 06:50 AM

gas in the oil

Take it to the dealer and have them look at the stick! document what They tell You and see what They say .But if it is getting gas in the oil You should not ride it .They should step right up and take care of it .

cnc 06-08-2014 08:33 AM

I am assuming this is a new bike with only 1300 miles on it, you don't have any info listed in you sig line.
Has your oil level gone up since the change?
If there is fuel getting in the gas, I'd guess it might be a leaky injector letting some drip into a cylinder when you shut off the bike.

redjay 06-08-2014 08:38 AM

I would save the oil you drained out of it and take it to the dealer when you take the bike in.

ponch 06-08-2014 09:42 AM

What year and model bike is it?

I think the oil they put in new bikes is break in oil, at least it used to be. It's thinner and I remember when I did my first oil change on my 1600 Nomad the oil was beat to piss and stunk. Not so much after that. If you have a 1700, did you drain both drain locations? There are two plugs.

redjay 06-08-2014 09:51 AM

I think it is a brand new Vaquero ?

Mr-Grimm 06-08-2014 10:10 AM

It's a 13 vaquero. Dunno how to get my Sig line to show up

ponch 06-08-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redjay (Post 579685)
I think it is a brand new Vaquero ?

Should be a rule that posters put the year, model and brand in the title. It is on other forums I am on, but then BMW people tend to be anal. If it's a 1700, my comments apply. The 900 is like the 800, so it has one drain plug, but has a screen as well. Not sure if the 1700 has a screen. It's a real good idea to clean the screen the first time around.

ponch 06-08-2014 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr-Grimm (Post 579688)
It's a 13 vaquero. Dunno how to get my Sig line to show up

Did you drain both plugs?

Mr-Grimm 06-08-2014 10:14 AM

Yeah, I pulled both drain plugs and filter. The original oil was black as coal. I'm gonna put up some of the old oil and block off the pair valve today. Love this ride but glad it's under warranty.

ponch 06-08-2014 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr-Grimm (Post 579693)
Yeah, I pulled both drain plugs and filter. The original oil was black as coal. I'm gonna put up some of the old oil and block off the pair valve today. Love this ride but glad it's under warranty.

And it will be, especially after 1300 miles. Not sure what you replaced it with, but you might want to dump that oil after 3000 miles and then go on schedule.

Mr-Grimm 06-08-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponch (Post 579694)
And it will be, especially after 1300 miles. Not sure what you replaced it with, but you might want to dump that oil after 3000 miles and then go on schedule.

I used valvoline 10-40 dino bike oil. I plan on going synthetic after the next change if this issue is resolved. I'll be all over the dealer about it next week.

As for new users putting info in the Sig line, gotta give folks time to figure out how.

Vulcan Bill 06-08-2014 10:56 AM

The only way I can think of that gas would be in the oil is one of your fuel injectors is leaking fuel into the cylinder. The gas would work itself past the piston rings into the crankcase. If there is raw gas dripping into one cylinder when you start it up I would expect a backfire from the muffler due to the excessive fuel collecting in there. Is it doing that?
Whatever the case, I would take it to the dealer right away.

Mr-Grimm 06-08-2014 11:05 AM

It's not backfiring at startup but popping like crazy on decel between 1500 and 2k rpm.

landman 06-08-2014 02:00 PM

they all pop on decal after installing aftermarket exhaust,there are ways to mitigate that as I am sure you will learn.lot's of post on here dealing with that subject.