View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #14
Advanced Member

These car tire threads do intrigue me. I do know that cruiser riders ride and brake differently than sport bike riders, but I also know that a lot of sport bike riders are young guys who can barely afford to change tires every 1,000 to 4,000 miles. I have yet to hear about any sport bike rider putting a car tire on their motorcycle. Is it because 17" tires are hard to come by, or is it because they don't want to take the chance.

I have had conversations with CT guys who tell me that you do notice a difference compared to running a MT. They tell me that it takes a little more pressure on the bars to drop into a turn and constant pressure to hold it there. They tell me that irregularities in the road surface tend to push the bike around so you have to stay on your toes. Of course there are Motorcycle tires with blocky tread patterns and a single groove running down the center that are affected by road surface as well.

When my motorcycle tires are near the end of there useful life I feel a lot of the same things that the CT guys describe. I don't like the way the bike feels at that point which is why I never run tires down to the threads like some guys I know.

I would love the opportunity to ride a bike with a CT, but I am not willing to spend the time and labor to try one out. Especially when I can get 16,000 miles out of a motorcycle tire.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad