View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #3

A LOOKSIE INTO THE INTAKE MANIFOLD AFTER A TRIP TO MY PORTING AREA TO CLEAN UP THE MANIFOLD WALLS...

SEALANT ON THE INTAKE PORT SURFACES TO MINIMIZE VACUUM LEAKS THERE...

NEW O-RINGS AND MORE SEALANT ON THE MANIFOLD WHERE IT MATES TO THE HEADS...

AND A TRICK WE LEARNED YEARS AGO THAT I FORGOT TO DO IN MY EARLIER MODS....

This is a pic of the air temp sensor removed from the air box and relocated AWAY from any heat source. The wires are extended allowing the sensor to be located just behind the fairing, tied to the wiring harness. This stabilizes the temps the sensor is exposed to, and provides for more consistent F.I. performance.

I allowed the sealant to cure overnight and this is how this thing responds to these mods.

After letting the silly-cone cure over night i cranked up the skoot yesterday morning. The cold start high idle was much better. When the high idle system signed off it had a much more stable idle, and i could tell better throtttle response, with a bark i had not heard in a long time. It seems to have a deeper exhaust tone to it also.

Took the ride up to Ft. Lauderdale to pick up parts, so here are the first impressions.

The back fire on decel has been reduced about 25-30%, but most of all the big BANG i was gettin at 2000 rpm has been reduced quite a bit. I'm gonna check the packing in my muffler to see any has burned away. I was hoping for more of a reduction, but the performance improvements i noticed are what i had hoped for.

The low rpm/part throttle performance has not only been restored, but is a tad better than it ever was. The throttle response is immediate, and there is less throttle required to do what i want done. The throttle response had become lazy and, i guess i could say kinda fluffy. This had occured over many thousands of miles so it finally got my attention when i was just not as happy ridin this skoot, specially in the manner where that part throttle response was lacking. There is a deffinate improvement in acceleration up to 3000 rpm and maybe 20-30% throttle, exactly where i was not happy with how the skoot had been running.

It also has a much steadier idle, which aoccured along with the other complaints. Neat thing, the skoot also sounds better, tighter comes to mind. When passing cars on the hiway i don't have to twist the throttle as much, the engine does not feel as if it is laboring, especiall with the cruise control on ans going over overpasses.

I am gonna try to do some ridin tonite, don't know how much, so i may have more info tomorrow.

I did get to ride it last nite and the impressions i noticed on yesterday's short ride were backed up. The engine labors much less, low rpm/small throttle openings are much improved. The off-idle glitch is gone, throttle response is clean and right now.

I remember having to really twist the throttle more than i used before to pass cars on the hiway, now just a small twist of the throttle gets me what i want. The deterioration of performance happened over many miles but within a 2 or 2 1/2 month time frame.

It was worth the time to do this as i said i was becoming unhappy and irritated ridein this skoot with the problems. I am now back to being able to enjoy this skoot with the glitches gone.

RACNRAY