View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortfuse223 View Post
I have about 1800 miles on my Vaquero now. I broke it in per the manual and have only got on it hard a few times since the break in was completed. I must say that I am underwhelmed by the power. The Suzuki C50 I had before this bike had better acceleration. Don't get me wrong. I love this bike but it definately needs a few things to bring out the potential of this engine. I have not checked but from reading this thread I believe my bike may be a victim of the leaks between the TB and intake and the intake and intake ports. Ordered the Thunder Mfg. gasket yesterday. My plans over the winter are to install the new gasket, put some sealant where the intake mates to the heads, drop in a K&N Filter, install a Cobra Power Pro, and get a set of modded Kury ISO grips from Ray. This season isn't over yet but I am really looking forward to next year when these things are done.
Those mods will certainly help. The Kawi 1700 is a mildly tuned engine. I believe Kawi focused on a smooth runnin engine. For the power the 1700 engine makes the skoot itself is slightly overweight, the HD StreetGlide is about 20 pnds lighter, which may not seem like much but weight does detract from handling and acceleration.

When I installed the V&H 2-1 exhaust on my skoot I could detect better handling, quicker response in turn-in.

In your mods don't forget to at least de-baffle the stock mufflers as that will make further improvements in performance, mpg and helping the engine run a bit cooler. Or as most do install a set of slip-ons.

HAVE FUN with your skoot, I know i have and will continue to do so.

RACNRAY