View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #26

I have had a couple of conversations with a Vulcan owner that after reading this thread pulled his intake apart.

What he found was WORSE than mine. The rubber seals between the manifold and heads were torn pretty bad-from the factory! The stand-off posts on his throttle bodies were HIGHER than mine (i can't remember the amount) and like my t/b and intake manifold BOTH surfaces were highly WARPED. He has a friend with a machine shop so they are duplicating what i did, i am waiting for his results.

Having been a m/c mechanic for over 35 years i have seen many instances of the sometimes HUGE differences allowed by mass-production methods. This shows up on my dyno, where i have seen up to 15 H.P. differences in completely stock bikes of the same year/make/model, and seems to be showing up in this example. Funny thing, the sealing surface of the intake manifold IS MACHINED, not in a "AS CAST" form like the t/b's are, so poor quality control is certainly an issue here.

MORE TO COME...

RACNRAY