View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Just put a Techlusion TFI on my bike, a discussion

Mac I always type the last two pots backasswards.. It's an age thing!!

Anyway today I rode 150 miles two up in very warm weather up mountains and down meadows. I set the first pot at 4 and turned the second pot down to 3.

4 on the first pot sounds like it would be rich but I set it with the rpms very high near 3k and 4-4:30 was the highest rpm the engine would get to so I settled on 4.

Reasoning than now my motor should run substantially cooler I shouldnT need the accelerator pot "2" high at all since I wasn't needing a big squirt of full rolling on the throttle to keep the motor from pinging as it's running much cooler.

I averaged 40 mpg's even though highway speeds were at a GPS 75mph and I ran mid grade 89 fuel which I never do...

My experimenting seems to be working as when I get off the bike I can almost leave my hand on the motor it runs that much cooler.

I've noticed that leaner first pot settings )2:45-3) with the second pot at 5-6 doesn't give any better mileage but way more engine heat.

One day I was experimenting with the TFI on my tank with the rubber plug open and watched the lights working. The second pot flickers yellow almost all the time with any minute throttle movement. That made me think the a higher second pot was defeating the purpose of a lean first pot setting.

Now with the second pot near off and the first at 4 it gets as good or better mileage and runs cool. Not to mention very slow speeds and throttle smoothness that most Nomads don't seem to enjoy. at least mine never did. Now there's no lurching at parking lot speeds.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005