View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 11:27 PM   #44

Monkeyman, the fuel processor is used to cure several issues but mostly to help with the lean condition caused by the factory ECU which in turn causes the dreaded and destructive "Ping". By enriching the mix you can run lower grades fuel also if you open up the intake and the exhaust a fuel processor is required to prevent pinging. Other issues with the Nomad [mine at least] that a fuel processor helps with is the low idle stumble. On a lot of bikes when the throttle is dropped quickly and the rpms bounce too low the engine will just die. I had it happen several times until I installed a fuel processor. I have the Cobra unit but from what I've read on the forum I think the Dobeck is the better choice.

I do know that the Fuel Processor gives me better throttle response as it has a pot that acts like an accelerator pump on a carbed bike and by enriching the mix at idle it helps with the low rpm "stumble". If relocating the air temp sensor, without the fuel processor turned on, prevents pinging on mid grade gas I will probaly go that route but will leave the "accelerator pump" pot turned on as it does help with throttle response and turn off the enriching pot.

Someone else may be able to explain this better.

What we are playing with now in relation to this thread is the theory that the air temp sensor "may" be causing part of the lean condition problem due to it is not actually reading ambient temp. Just a bunch of gear heads that can't leave well enough alone!
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net