Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Phat II risers/too short brake line.

I recently installed a set of Phat II risers on my Nomad- really like 'em- but it resulted in my front brake line from the handlebars being stretched fiddle-string tight. For right now I just rerouted the brake line, but it looks a bit out of place.

Anybody else had that problem? If so, did you go through the expense of adding longer brake hoses, or just deal with the front brake hose hanging out there all by it's lonesome?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-28-2009, 11:00 PM   #2

Have you tried getting a two-fisted grip on those lines and giving them a good tug upward out of the housing? You might get some there if you haven't.

If your risers, are no more than 4" high, and unless you just have an unusually short one , you shouldn't have a problem with the lines.

If they're simply snug, and one's hang'n away from the others, try pulling them together within reason, and then wire-tire them together.

Goo oood ruck,,,,

Old 02-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #3
Advanced Member

I think an unusually short one MAY be the problem!!!!

Old 03-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #4

When I installed the Phat II's on my 06, I had to cut the factory clamps that held the brake lines and clutch lines to the handle bars. I trimmed of the excess on the clamps and left the rest stuck in the handle bar to prevent water from getting inside. I think that I had to loosen the brake line at the reservoir just enough to rotate the line a little.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #5

I got a little extra brake line by sliding the line through the rubber down at the fender. I took the brake line out of the cable tie without cutting the tie, it will pop out of the handle bar, and just added another cable tie around the brake line and hooked it in the factory tie for support. I also got some extra brake line by sliding the reservoir, handle and mirror assembly forward on the handle bar about 1/2 inch. I needed this moved anyway so I could install the Vista Cruise.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Good point, Watchman- I never thought about sliding the resevoir on the handlebar. I didn't really need a whole lot, but I couldn't get the handlebars centered on the risers with the amount of brake line available. Of course, this resulted in me rerouting the line and bleeding the brakes, not a huge deal, I guess.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #7

Be careful you don't slide that reservoir to far up the bar. There is a wire connecting it to the piece that houses the starter and kill switch. Move it to far may cause the wire to break.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #8

Had the same problem with my 08 Nad and Phat II risers. I returned it and ordered a Rivco Riser, not as tall but just as good.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Interesting... the only immediate option I had was to reroute the front brake line outside of the triple tree. There was ZERO slack available after installing the risers.

I will probably eventually install a longer brake line, since I don't like having the brake line hanging out there by itself. I've found options availabe through both Scootworks and Phat Performance Products, and there are probably others as well. Scootworks claims to have a 4"+ kit for Nomads for about $60.00, I believe. They also have stainless braided lines, which are a bit more pricey.

What I did learn is that if you want to lengthen the brake line from the master cylinder, you end up replacing the lines going to each caliper also, because the hoses are molded into the 'splitter', down by the forks. Maybe that's standard procedure, I don't know.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
Top Contributor

they say with the Phatt ll you will have enough lenght in your lines on a 1600 Nomad. I did and many others on here did too. Sorry to hear your problem. there is suppose to be enough slack in those lines if you pull a little on them.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 PM   #11

I had no problem with mine either, took about 20 minutes and no hose/wire rerouting at all.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
1946 George Orwell

Old 03-04-2009, 07:27 AM   #12

I had no problem with mine but I did move the reservoir so I could leave the hose attached to the handlebars.