Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 10-24-2009, 06:35 AM   #1

Last bike ride of the season

Liz and I left a week ago Wednesday and rode to Oklahoma. It was misting rain and in the 40's when we left. Made an easy two day ride down to Antlers which is in the southeast corner of the state. Rode the Talimena Skyway and some other great roads in the area and went to a big car show at Robber's Cave State Park. Weather down there was in the mid 60's to low 70's
with sunshine. The trees there where already loosing there color. We had a great time riding with some friends from the South-central KawaNOW Group. I just hate thinking that most likely that was our last big ride of the 09 season. A couple of toy runs left to do, one tomorrow and one next weekend but nothing planned after that. I guess I will just start planning things for next year.

Below is a poem believed to be written several years ago by a guy we know from the VROC group and I just thought I would share it with you all.

Just souls that like the open,
Just those who love to feel
The almost human energy
Of the swift revolving wheel.

Just to feel the pulse of nature
And to ease the galling load
Of the cares and strains of workdays
'Monst the comrades of the road.

There's a strong fraternal feeling,
There's humanity one might say,
And pomp and pride are laid aside
When the Cycle leads the way.

Sherm

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-24-2009, 07:16 AM   #2

No long rides planned on my end either Jim. Hope to get to do the Texas Hill Country ride in April. Trip is beginning to put this one together. April is a long way off though. Our winters, if you want to call them winters, are back and forth mild to hot and then cold. We normally have a few frosts and maybe a couple of freezes. These normally happen in late December through early February. Lots of good riding days from October to December. Once you start getting into North Louisiana it's alot more unpredictable. Ice storms and light snows sometimes come frequently. I hope you guys have a milder than normal winter but it doesn't look like it's shaping up to that. An El Nino like we had all summer normally brings cold and wet winters to the central and northern US. Just wet for us down here. It was great finally meeting you and Liz. We enjoyed our riding time together especially Sunday afternoon when we were competing with the low sun when we were heading due west. Take care and I'm sure we will be talking more about the regional rally in the next few months. That poem was pretty neat.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 10-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #3

It's happening here too Joel.

I'll likely take the bike out to a car-wash I always like to use so I can clean it one last time.

Then I'll put in storage-mode for the next 5 months or so.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 11-02-2009, 12:56 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Mitch,
I remember one winter at Fort Polk, LA that we had snow. Seems that was the winter of 1987. Not a lot of accumulation but we did have snow. That was a break from all the hot weather.

I am sure glad I don't have to worry about storing my Nomad. I just keep the battery tender on it and when it is sunny I just disconnect it and hop on, start it up and go.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181