Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #1

Kawasaki custom gel seats

On the Kawasaki website under accessories for the 1600 they have custom gel seats which look pretty cool. The front of the passenger seat is high and makes a built in backrest for the rider. Anyone have these and how do you like?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Just something you should consider...gel seats absorb heat and in the summer it's like sitting on a hot frying pan.

How can these be "custom" seats, anyone can buy one and they are all the same? One size fits all is not custom.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 12-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #3

I had a gel seat for my Concours a few years ago and won't ever go with gel again for the same reason.... it gets hot in the summer and STAYS hot for a long time.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #4

I have tried a lot of different seats on my Nomad.
The classic had a seat made by Saddlemen with gel in it. I believe it came stock on a classic. I bought one on Ebay, didn't seem to be much better than the stock Nomad seat.
I have an Ultimate X seat coming in the mail I bought on Ebay. I will let you guys know how I like it in about 4 months when the weather warms and the snow goes away. :(
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #5

My wife and I had been on some longer trips this summer but she wasn't real happy with the stock seat. Before our last 1000 mile trip I purchased the passenger gel seat from ebay (Honda East Toledo - Best price and great service). I originally ordered the K53001-200 (for riders under 6ft tall - I'm 5-10). The problem with this seat is that it overlaps the stock front seat by at least 2 to 3 inches. I like to lean back in the stock seat and this thing was digging into my back. I was able to return it and get the K53001-199. ( for riders over 6ft tall) This seat still overlapped the stock front seat but not by much. I ended up taking out some of the staples in the front cutting about an inch off the padding and pulling the covering back. (see photo) After the modification it gave me the back support that I didn't have with the stock back seat. Also, my wife likes it a lot better than the stocker. The seat was wider and a lot more comfortable. It did get warm in the 90 degree sun but it wasn't unbearable and it returned to normal temp quickly. My wife also liked the slight rise in the front that kept her from sliding forward while breaking.

I had considered getting the matching front seat but I'm afraid it would move me too far forward and make my riding position uncomfortable.

Dave "Dogleg" Pettigrew
VBA #01124
CVRA & AMA member
Pataskala, OH
2006 Nomad
2011 Red Vaquero - Sold
2008 Nomad - Sold

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #6

Has anybody tried using the Kno Place gel insert on their stock seat? Check them out at: http://www.knoplace.com/index.html

They sell them on ebay for around $90 to $120 depending on size. I've heard that they don't get as hot as a typical gel seat as Kno Place provides a layer of memory foam and another layer of smoothing foam. Besides smoothing things out, it helps to insulate the gel pad from the heat.

The installation looks pretty straightforward from their instructions and I think that the average person could do it themselves. I'm seriously considering doing it as a winter project but just wondering if any other Nomad owners have tried it and how they like the results.

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Old 12-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

Never had a gel seat and truthfully, I've never thought about doing anything to my stock seat. I know that others have said they get a sore ass, hot spots etc.. I guess I'm lucky. I have a friend that swears by his Air hawk. I don't imagine, being air filled, that it gets too hot. Any comments on the "air hawk"??

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 12-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #8

I had a Kawasaki gel seat on a 900 LT, and was very dissapointed with it. It was not much better than the stock seat for comfort. In my opinion Mustang makes a much better product and is worth the extra cost.

Larry Martel
02 1500 Nomad
VBA 01565
VROC4737
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 12-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #9

I have a ButtBuddy gel pad that Ive used on the bike, its not a big difference, after a couple hours it doesn't seem much different than a stock seat. They do absorb lots of heat if left in the sun, I used to put it in the freezer at work to cool it down for the trip home.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #10

I've tried several options on my cruisers oveer the years, Gel seats for me just never gave me the long term comfort i hoped for. Finally, figuring i had nothing to lose, i bought an airhawk seat cushion 2 years ago. For $100 it beat the heck out of the custom seats i've used.

that was the first thing i put on my stock nomad seat. I'm hooked on the thing. Buying the wife one for the back. I highly recomend it. It doesn't get too hot in summer;doesn't slide around and you can adjust it for your size and riding position and style.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
I have a ButtBuddy gel pad that Ive used on the bike, its not a big difference, after a couple hours it doesn't seem much different than a stock seat. They do absorb lots of heat if left in the sun, I used to put it in the freezer at work to cool it down for the trip home.
"ButtBuddy !!! LMAO I'm roll'in on the living room floor!! ::) ??? ??? I couldn't buy one of those just because of the name, Steve. At least I wouldn't post it !!! ;) ;) ;)

Air Hawk might be the way to go. I have good feeling about them.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png