Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-28-2010, 07:49 AM   #1

Headlight Modulator ?

Riding more regularly is showing me the obvious benefits of a headlight modulator - too many people don't pay attention or just don't see a bike. So...

What brand headlight modulator do you have? Likes & dislikes ? Best places & prices ?

Thanks!

'00 - 1500 'Carbed' Nomad
VBA #01600

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-28-2010, 07:54 AM   #2

Headlight Modulator ?

I have a Kisan PathBlazer and Kisan TailBlazer. Both plug and play (Tailblazer replaces your stock taillight and PathBlazer is plug and play for use with your stock headlight.

Installation is a snap for both. Pricing is pretty good too.

Pathblazer has a light sensor. When there's light, your highbeam setting is replaced by 'modulate'. After dusk the highbeam automatically functions as a highbeam again.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #3

Headlight Modulator ?

Ive seen a couple on bikes in the past and I found them almost distracting as they approached. I guess thats what they are meant to do though.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #4

Headlight Modulator ?

I think they are distracting and cause more problems than they fix and shouldn't be legal. However,they are legal and do attract attention from people that might not otherwise see motorcycles,so I will agree that they work.
Here is a link to a website I buy some safety equipment from.
http://www.ridesafer.com/Headlight_Modulators_s/26.htm

Old 06-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Headlight Modulator ?

I wouldn't have one. I don't like them. Ride with your high beam on and driving lights and if they can't see you, then they aren't going to see you with a headlight modulator, either.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Headlight Modulator ?

The problem I see is that some drivers would see you coming and think you wanted them to pull out as a lot of drivers flash their lights when they are signalling for you to come out. Just a thought. I have seen a few bikes coming up the highway and you definitely notice them. Being a biker I know what it is but people unfamiliar with bikes wouldn't understand it. Just a thought. The system that MikeStorm mentioned sounds like the right idea if you are going to have one.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 06-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
Mega-Contributor

Headlight Modulator ?

A rider's best defense is riding with the assumption they can't be seen and acting appropriately. In other words, technology is not a substitute for proper vigilance.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #8

Headlight Modulator ?

I have the Kriss modulator on my Nomad and one on my wife's Yamaha.

Plug and play. It has saved me quite a few times.

http://www.kriss.com/

It works on high beam if you want to turn it off put it on low beam. There is an optical sensor so it only works in the day time.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 06-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Headlight Modulator ?

I own a Kisan plug n play and I really like it alot. I still ride with vigilance but it does help for you to be noticed in a good way. I have riden without it for a few yrs and with it and I would buy it again.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #10

Headlight Modulator ?

I have one from Signal Dynamics, easy to install. I always, without exception, ride as if those cages are out to get me. That said, I haven't had a vehicle attempt to pull out in front of me since installing it. For group runs, etc I'll put a rubber vacuum cap over the photo sensor that gets installed in the bottom of the headlight bucket so the modulator will think it's night time and won't flash, that way it isn't an annoyance to those in the pack in front of me.
With the headlight flashing a consistent flashing rate and is flashing continuously ever since a vehicle saw you way down the road and it is still steadily flashing, I doubt they will take that as a signal as your blessing to cut you off. But then again there are idiots operating every type of motorized vehicle made.
Always ride defensively and hope the enhancements we add onto our bikes will help us make it home.
Gary

Old 06-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #11

Headlight Modulator ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
A rider's best defense is riding with the assumption they can't be seen and acting appropriately. In other words, technology is not a substitute for proper vigilance.
Completely agree, however technology can certainly augment proper vigilance. Case in point: I still ride with that assumption and I use a headlight modulator.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #12

Headlight Modulator ?

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. There is no substitute for awareness, but I'm wondering if this is an option worth adding to the "safety net".

'00 - 1500 'Carbed' Nomad
VBA #01600

Old 06-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #13
Mega-Contributor

Headlight Modulator ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestorm
Quote:
Completely agree, however technology can certainly augment proper vigilance. Case in point: I still ride with that assumption and I use a headlight modulator.
All I meant was don't install a headlight modulator and then let your guard down. It's not an impenetrable force field.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 06-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Headlight Modulator ?

I give the cagers the death ray stare! . These lamp flasher aggravate me bad, but you can have them. I try to see what kind of bike it is and can't see past the flashing.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-28-2010, 06:04 PM   #15

Headlight Modulator ?

While I'm sure that statistics show that bikes are not seen as well or register in a drivers mind as traffic, the more I ride the more I think that not being seen is not always the case. I believe that sometimes a driver just doesn't care, maybe thinking "it's only a bike, he's got brakes".
I found myself in this exact situation last week. Two of us on bikes were crossing a small bridge with a string of cars in front and behind. immediately after the bridge we were planning to make a right turn onto another road. Waiting to make a left turn onto that same road with a string of cars behind him was an oncoming van. Seconds after I put on my flasher to turn, the van floored it turning left as I turned right. He cut off both bikes and forced us onto the shoulder. He knew dam well we were there.
I anticipated that he might do this, and was ready for him, slowing a little more than I would have for the turn and simply steered onto the shoulder and back on the road as he roared past. In some situations you can't, but in my opinion one of your best defenses is to trust no one and prepare for the what if.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136