Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 06-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
Mega-Contributor

Dealer diatribe

Yesterday I noticed I was missing one of my clutch cover bolts. I'm pretty sure it vibrated loose and fell out along the road somewhere. I probably didn't torque it down tight when I replaced my clutch spring. So this morning I called my dealer to see if they have one in stock. Nope, they would have to order it. A 6x35mm bolt! I couldn't believe it. So if you had your bike in their for a clutch job and the mechanic lost one of your bolts, or the head rounded off, or whatever - you would have to wait until they could order and receive a bolt before you could have your bike back. That's just wrong!

I called a competitor to my dealer and they have 6 sitting on the shelf. So guess who is getting my money today?

Sorry for the rant. Just venting.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #2

Dealer diatribe

That's the same crap I get around here as well. There are three Kawi dealers nearby, and all of them focus on sales. None of them on customer service, or have a decent service dept. Typical...

Old 06-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Dealer diatribe

The bike I traded in to get my Nomad was a 2005 Suzuki C50T. It had a Suzuki lightbar on it. One of the bulbs burned out and I went to the dealer to find another bulb. They did not carry them in stock so I ordered 2 of them and they cost me $12 each and it took a month to get them. These were an odd bulb that I couldn't find elsewhere locally. I think I found them on Bike Bandit for less than $3 each after I'd already ordered and paid for these.

I am a big advocate of customer service and for a dealer to not stock basic parts is just ridiculous.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #4

Dealer diatribe

I agree. I needed to replace my rear brakes last year. None of the 3 dealers had them in stock. They had to order. Who the heck has to order brake pads? Another typical dealer move. I'm big on customer service too. Will even pay more at some places because the CS is that good.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #5

Dealer diatribe

Up here they only carry oil, filters and tires. Everything else is order.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-11-2009, 01:48 PM   #6

Dealer diatribe

Had a new rear tire put on yesterday at the Dealer. I do want to support them, but they make it hard. They told me that my brake light is burned out, I had not noticed. So I went over to parts to get a replacement.

They have to order it, ok, the cost is $6, ok I can live with that. Then when I go to check out they tell me there is a shipping charge, the shipping is more than the bulb.

I also asked for some 90 wt final drive oil, they don't stock it, would have to order it and I would get a shipping charge. ( I did not have them order it).

Apparently they do not stock much in the way of parts anymore, everything has to be ordered and has a shipping charge involved.

There is another Kawi dealer up on the North end of Phoenix, and I suspect they would have alot more parts.

But I am also looking to go on line to get what I need if I can wait a few days. (Not much difference between waiting for them to get it in and me ordering it on line.).

Old 06-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #7
Mega-Contributor

Dealer diatribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog
Had a new rear tire put on yesterday at the Dealer. I do want to support them, but they make it hard. They told me that my brake light is burned out, I had not noticed. So I went over to parts to get a replacement.

They have to order it, ok, the cost is $6, ok I can live with that. Then when I go to check out they tell me there is a shipping charge, the shipping is more than the bulb.

I also asked for some 90 wt final drive oil, they don't stock it, would have to order it and I would get a shipping charge. ( I did not have them order it).

Apparently they do not stock much in the way of parts anymore, everything has to be ordered and has a shipping charge involved.

There is another Kawi dealer up on the North end of Phoenix, and I suspect they would have alot more parts.

But I am also looking to go on line to get what I need if I can wait a few days. (Not much difference between waiting for them to get it in and me ordering it on line.).
I suppose they are feeling the effects of the economy like everyone else, but this is getting ridiculous! I'd expect a dealer in a small town to carry a light inventory of parts, but in a metro area of nearly 5 million? Come on...

If they are going to stick you for a shipping charge AND don't forget sales tax, you would be money ahead buying from an online vendor. You still pay the usurious shipping fee, but you save money on the tax. It makes you wonder if the dealers buy their parts direct from Kawasaki or if they get them from Bike Bandit or Ron Ayers?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 06-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #8

Dealer diatribe

We have the same problem here in Southeast Texas, they dont and wont stock parts. They just moved in there new place awhile back, and come to find out there is a cycle shop down the road where they used to be and they bought out all the parts, so I go to the cycle shop anytime I need something for the Nomad (which ain't often). So yes it is sometimes better to go else where for simple parts. Last time I went in the dealership I swore I would by a Honda or Harley just so I would not have to come to there dealership, but dont worry I wouldn't do it.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #9

Dealer diatribe

I agree CJ. If I have to wait on them to get me a part, might just as well order it on line, I suspect it will get here about the same time.

I understand the dealers are hurting, thats why I try to support them, but I ain't got alot of extra money to spare either.

This dealer appears to be more into dirt bikes, and ATVs. They have decreased their inventory of bikes and cruisers, altho they did have a new 09 Black Nomad on the floor yesterday, it did not have a price on it.

I did not see alot of activity while I was waiting for the tire to be installed.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #10

Dealer diatribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Up here they only carry oil, filters and tires. Everything else is order.
I wanted a replacement filter and they would have had to order one in. Why would I ever go back when I can shop Bike Bandit and have it put on my doorstep?!

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
2005 1600 Nomad "Tangerine Dream"
VBA #999
VROC #29355

Old 06-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #11

Dealer diatribe

Its sad really. I try to support the dealer. I am willing to pay a little more, I said a little, for a part from them but when they never have it and don't really seem to care I go elsewhere.
If the customer service is good I will pay a little more but economy or not there is no excuse for the treatment alot of dealers have been handing out lately.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
Mega-Contributor

Dealer diatribe

I should mention that I have had no issues with my dealer "Kawasaki Superstore of Ahwatukee" - before the sale, after the sale, or with any of the service work that they have done. I was just a little disappointed that they didn't have the parts I needed in stock.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 06-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #13

Dealer diatribe

CJ: I deal with the Kawasaki Super Store in Goodyear, Ahwatukee and Goodyear are owned by the same person.

While the service is ok, I get an uncomfortable feeling dealing with the serice manager, and parts manager, not that I think they are trying to screw me, it seems that they are not real familiar with bikes.

The cost for the tire I had put on yesterday (another Bridgestone), was about the same as if I had ordered it on line and had it installed by some one else. So I can't complain about that.

All the people in the store seem to be under 30, including the store manager, and it seems they get uncomfortable dealing with an older gentleman such as myself. lol.

From what I see in the parking lot, only a couple of them own bikes, and they are not Kawa's but other older metrics, not alot of work done on them, no chrome or any customizing.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #14

Dealer diatribe

I went to my Kawa dealer last month, I needed a back tire right then and the dealer had one a Dunlap 404 which is a fair tire so I drive 30 miles one way and when I get there they tell me the tire is $234.00 plus installation I told them no thanks then called the Harley dealer and told him what size tire I needed and he ask what it was going on and I told him it didn't matter I just needed that size tire so he went in the back and check came back and told me they had 15 of them and wanted a $160.00 for it. On my way to the Harley dealer I stopped at an independent shop and bought the same Dunlap 404 for $118.00 the big dealers can kiss my rear.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #15
Mega-Contributor

Dealer diatribe

I've said this before, but I think the younger staff you see in many dealerships these days don't understand the cruiser/touring customer. They grew up on dirt bikes then moved to sport bikes. Cruisers and touring bikes are for "those old guys". They probably sell one Vulcan for every 10 Ninjas. I go to my dealer and chat with the sales person or the parts guy while I'm waiting for my son to pick me up and I'm old enough to be their dad. They are courteous and friendly, but when I go into Cactusjack mode, their eyes glaze over and I can see they just don't get it. I probably I know more about the Nomad than their sales, parts and service people combined.

This is where Harley-Davidson has these metric dealers beat. They only sell cruisers and touring machines. Nobody goes into an HD dealer to buy a quad or a Jet Ski or a dirt bike. They know their target demographic and they cater to them. There isn't a thing wrong with that, that's good business.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060