Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-02-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Rear lighting

We are considering adding some lights for the rear to make us more visual in the dark.
Who has had success with modifications on this? Is it worth converting the turn signals to running / brake lights or is there something better.
Thanks
1965 Pontiac GTO, 389 4 Speed. Bluemist Slate
Cruising the back roads, that is living!
Member #000033.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-02-2007, 08:27 PM   #2

Rear lighting

I converted my turn-signals into turn and running lights with red lenses. I also added a license plate frame with a running light and brake light on it. So I have four running lights and two brake lights in addition to turn-signals. I stole the front fixtures off my Classic and put them on the Nomad for the conversion. I painted the red lenses black as described on Gadget's site.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #3

Rear lighting

I am rarely out after dark so I have not looked into adding additional running lights. But I am concerned about motorists (or bikes) behind me knowing that I am slowing down or stopping. So I added a pair of Kuryakyn "Small Halogen Silver Bullets with Red Lenses" (Part #602305). I paid $80.95 for the pair and mounted them on brackets where the side rear reflectors were. They have 35w bulbs so they show up even on bright days.

Patriot Guard
Kawanow #263 (November 2007)
262 Prior Posts

Old 12-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #4

Rear lighting

I have a unit called Priority Signal that is wired to my rear turn signals. It fits under one of my side covers and turns my rear blinkers into brake lights. The lenses were changed to red also, this unit works flawlessly

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-03-2007, 03:32 PM   #5

Rear lighting

Here's what I did, and have been VERY happy with the results. I purchased a set of turn signals for a vulcan off ebay for around 6 bucks. I then put LED panels (not the 1157 cheapo bulb replacements, but the board with many ??? LEDs on it). These are easy to wire for running and brake mode. Mounted these to the sides of the luggage rack (a higher, wider placement, for additional visibility). Then I put the "knight riderz" LED lights from Custom Dynamics motorcycle LEDs under the saddlebags. These lights continually sweep in running mode, then flash brightly 9 times when you brake, then go to a solid bright brake light. I actually had a guy come to my office one day at work to complain about the light show while I was turning and braking into the parking lot. My reply was simple, "you sure noticed me didn't you?" To which he said, Point well taken.

Triguy

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-03-2007, 04:26 PM   #6

Rear lighting

I ordered the LED set that wires into the existing taillights. The led are red for running lights and obviously brighter for brake lights. The existing bulb/amber signal override the running lights and function as OEM turn signals. I purchased the set from Custom Dynamics (customdynamics.com). I know of at least 2 other Nomad owners who have also installed them. Its a very simple process.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:39 PM   #7

Rear lighting

I have extra brake lights on my tour pac. They seem to work great. Here in Vegas the cops have little blue lights that are on at night. No, these are not the flashers. You can see them from a distance because the blue is not a normal color you see at night. I know for cars and trucks, one can cut a little hole in the tail light lense and put in a blue dot. Has anyone done something like that on their bikes?

Old 12-03-2007, 05:02 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Rear lighting

Quote:
Here's what I did, and have been VERY happy with the results. I purchased a set of turn signals for a vulcan off ebay for around 6 bucks. I then put LED panels (not the 1157 cheapo bulb replacements, but the board with many ??? LEDs on it). These are easy to wire for running and brake mode. Mounted these to the sides of the luggage rack (a higher, wider placement, for additional visibility). Then I put the "knight riderz" LED lights from Custom Dynamics motorcycle LEDs under the saddlebags. These lights continually sweep in running mode, then flash brightly 9 times when you brake, then go to a solid bright brake light. I actually had a guy come to my office one day at work to complain about the light show while I was turning and braking into the parking lot. My reply was simple, "you sure noticed me didn't you?" To which he said, Point well taken.

Triguy
Do you have pics of this? I would be interested in seeing how they look.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 12-03-2007, 06:32 PM   #9

Rear lighting

Quote:
I have extra brake lights on my tour pac. They seem to work great. Here in Vegas the cops have little blue lights that are on at night. No, these are not the flashers. You can see them from a distance because the blue is not a normal color you see at night. I know for cars and trucks, one can cut a little hole in the tail light lens and put in a blue dot. Has anyone done something like that on their bikes?
They actually sell lenses on ebay with the blue dot already in them.
They are however illegal in New York State or I would have them.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-03-2007, 06:51 PM   #10

Rear lighting

Nico please stay away from this one ;)

Old 12-05-2007, 09:58 AM   #11

Rear lighting

I added the tailight conversion kit from electrical connection. works pretty good. I also purchased ,but have not installed yet, a simple kit called the lite blazer. I've seen this work and it really shows up well. I'm going to turn it up so the lites will be at the top of the lic bracket and be hidden by the cobra rack until they light up. Here's the link.

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/produ...oducts_id=5125

Old 12-05-2007, 10:10 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Rear lighting

I added SOUND OFF SAFETY PRIORITY PLUS
Turns stock rear turn signals into running lights and flashing stop lights
Apply brake; running lights flash 1-2 seconds, then full brightness
No interference with brake light operation.
I did get the red lens from e-bay with blue dot

And on the main brake light I swapped both bulbs out with the spinner bulbs I found on e-bay

VBA #00077

Old 12-05-2007, 06:49 PM   #13

Rear lighting

I was interested in triguy32's use of the knight riderz light. I always believed them to be illegal for street use, so I e-mailed the Michigan State Police and asked them. I also gave them the web site so that they could look at the product. Here is their response.

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards(FMVSS) regulate new and aftermarket auto parts. Under FMVSS the only lights to the rear of a vehicle that are permitted to flash are turn signals and hazard warning lights. After looking at this product it is clear that it DOES NOT conform to federal standards for use on a public road. Michigan recognizes these standards as well so the answer is no. IF wired so it burns steady state then it would be legal but then what is the point if you are trying to get the "Knight Rider" effect.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:52 PM   #14

Rear lighting

Triguy[/quote]

Do you have pics of this? I would be interested in seeing how they look.[/quote]

There are some pictures on the home page of:

http://www.motorcycle-leds.com/KR_light-bar/

Patriot Guard
Kawanow #263 (November 2007)
262 Prior Posts

Old 12-05-2007, 10:20 PM   #15

Rear lighting

Quote:
We are considering adding some lights for the rear to make us more visual in the dark.
Who has had success with modifications on this? Is it worth converting the turn signals to running / brake lights or is there something better.
Thanks
I would highly recommend the Kuryakyn run-stop-turn light converter. It was easy to hook up and works great. It essentially turns the rear turn signals into running lights AND brake lights. I had to paint the turn signal lens red, but that was easy. However, I didn't stop there. I added a set of Kuryakn large silver bullets mounted to my luggage rack - they come with clear, amber, and red lens. I hooked these up to the converter, and now I have 5 brake lights, 5 running lights, and 5 rear turn signals (2 each direction). You can definately see me - escpecially since the Kuryakn unit also has adds a flash 3x's when you hit the brakes. I like the way they look too. The silver bullets look almost amber in this photo, but in person they are definately red and bright (35 watts):