Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Question Cam plug leaking oil rear cylinder

I understand that this is a minor leak and applied some good silicone around the outside the plug which seemed to almost took care of business. There is still just a bit of oil that seems to come thru from the top part where I hard a time to seal. Anyone knows if I could put some kind of aditive in the oil to form a better seal from the inside . I hear Lucas stabilizer might do it ... would that product cause any harm to the clutch or any internal part ... I would hate having to drop the engine for just that seal to fix

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #2

I wouldn't advise using any sealing additive in the oil because of our clutches. Usually a very thorough cleaning of the cam plug will allow it to be sealed up with silicone. Even rubbing a bar of soap into the seam will help a lot of the time.
Mine has held for over four years so far after I cleaned it and applied silicone.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #3

Yep the secret is to degrease the area real good B4 applying the silicone.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 05-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Tkx guyz... will do as recommend

Old 05-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Cam Plug ??? You mean it's leaking where the extender goes in the jug?

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
Advanced Member

No Rickyboy its the round plug near the rocker/cam shaft area there is 1 per cylinder

Old 05-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #7

Vulcanrider03, I'm having the same problem. I cleaned and applied some silicone, but it seems to be a small area at the top next to the valve cover that still leaks. I'll retry again this weekend. Good Luck with yours.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #8

I thought mine were leaking a while back but it turns out I had just overfilled my oil a bit during an oil change...I am certianly ignorant in the ways of anything to do with these drivetrains(as evidenced from a botched oil change) but I drained the oil, refilled being careful to keep the oil level in the lower middle of the sight glass(well above the "low" line however) and the problem vanished. Mine was leaking so badly it was running down and collecting behind the rear cylinder on the transmission/engine cover...apparently, at least on my 1500fi, there is an overfill tube that dumps out somewhere behind the dog bowl that I found referenced on some random thread. It was easy to misdiagnose as the cam seal in my case...

Old 05-18-2012, 06:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlock View Post
I thought mine were leaking a while back but it turns out I had just overfilled my oil a bit during an oil change...I am certianly ignorant in the ways of anything to do with these drivetrains(as evidenced from a botched oil change) but I drained the oil, refilled being careful to keep the oil level in the lower middle of the sight glass(well above the "low" line however) and the problem vanished. Mine was leaking so badly it was running down and collecting behind the rear cylinder on the transmission/engine cover...apparently, at least on my 1500fi, there is an overfill tube that dumps out somewhere behind the dog bowl that I found referenced on some random thread. It was easy to misdiagnose as the cam seal in my case...
I remember that other thread, but wasn't able to find it.

Anyway, when Mac and I had my engine apart to re-time it, he did a little investigating on that drain hole in the back of the rear cylinder and found that both cylinders have one. Using some compressed air, he also discovered that each one is connected to a small opening at the base of the spark plug and guessed that they were drains for any water that collected in the spark plug tubes. I forget exactly how oil was able to get in those drains if the engine was overfilled, but he figured that out too. I think they vented somewhere inside the cam chain cavity.

Bottom line, too much oil can cause oil to weep out of those drains and make a mess. Make sure the engine isn't overfilled and don't plug those drain holes.

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Black)
1978 Suzuki GS750EC (My son is riding it now.)

2017: National Rally - Lake George, NY
2016: NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC
2015: National Rally - Eureka Springs, AR
2014: NE US / E Canada Rally - Lincoln, NH
2012: NE US / E Canada Rally - Wellsboro, PA

Old 05-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlock View Post
I use a large measuring cup when I add oil, that way I can get the correct every time. A graduated plastic pitcher is also good for that.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
I use a large measuring cup when I add oil, that way I can get the correct every time. A graduated plastic pitcher is also good for that.
That solution is so obvious it's almost too obvious. I guess that's why I never thought of it. Thanks for turning the light on!!!

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Black)
1978 Suzuki GS750EC (My son is riding it now.)

2017: National Rally - Lake George, NY
2016: NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC
2015: National Rally - Eureka Springs, AR
2014: NE US / E Canada Rally - Lincoln, NH
2012: NE US / E Canada Rally - Wellsboro, PA