Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
Jim, the over $20K touring models take a jump in price, I think they start at $25K. To me you have the under $20K and the over $25K. For the extra money there should be a difference in material thickness and quality of workmanship. I've seen some HD's that the price was in the $35K range. I can't afford that price range. Under $20K is where I would be looking. And if I was to be looking for a touring model I would seriously be sitting on a Voyager. I happen to like the Vaquero better, but that's just me.
I have to disagree a bit with you here. The HD touring models start below $20k:

HD Electra Glide Classic $19499
HD Street Glide $19499
HD Road Glide Custom $19499
HD Road King $17499

That isn't much of an increase over a Voyager or Vaquero. There's a jump in price from a Nomad to both of those.

The next level of HD models are the Ultra, Ultra Classic and Ultra Limited, which is top of the line. You can get an Ultra Limited for less than $25k, even with options.

The $30k+ Harleys are CVO (Custom Vehicle Operations) models that are limited editions created by a special design team at HD. They come with the 110" engine, Screaming Eagle components, and more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at. These are high end bikes designed for a specific demographic, yet HD manages to sell them out each year.

My point is that once you start looking at Vaqueros and Voyagers, HD prices aren't that much more. All the Japanese makers have bikes in the same territory price-wise. A Goldwing runs in the neighborhood of the HD Ultras.

I'm not trying to sell Harleys here, just pointing out that there seems to be a belief that you can't get a Harley under $25k
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17