Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2016, 09:06 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
You had your's flashed. How did it go?
Indeed I did! I've been ridin' and smilin' for 2 days here in sunny Florida.
I'm riding a 2009 Voyager with stock airbox and filter, with a stock 2011 Vaquero engine, fuel injection and exhaust. 322,000 miles on the bike and 82,000 miles on the engine. I also have the dshelly quick-turn throttle.
After installing the Ivan ECU the engine now idles at 2000 rpm when cold but settles down to 950 when the engine warms up. The fast idle isn't real constant, sorta hunts and surges but the warm idle is as smooth as a kitten purring.
The improved throttle response and extra torque is very noticeable, even with my stock setup. The engine runs better, sounds better and pulls harder.
With stock mufflers the decel popping was barely detectable but that is now completely gone too.
My temp needle previously always sat at or above the center mark on the gauge, now it is consistently less than center while riding even in low 80s today. The needle does still rise as I slow down or stop for traffic but quickly drops when moving again.
When I installed the ECU I had 89 octane fuel in the tank, and the engine did ping quite a bit while accelerating, and it never pinged before this. Today i filled with 91 octane Shell and we rode 2-up, 50-60 mph along country roads with lots of stopping for eats and chats. There was no pinging at all with 91 fuel.
Prior to this mod, my mileage indicator always hovered around 46 mpgUSA but when calculating actual mileage it worked out to 43 mpg. My fuel light usually came on at 180 miles. These are likely higher numbers than most others are seeing with stock intake and exhaust but I'm an old guy and ride sorta gentle most of the time, and my bike is getting nicely broken in and loosened up. After installing Ivan's ECU my indicator now reads 49.x and I calculated the last 2 tankfulls at 45 and 46 actual mpg. My fuel light now comes on at 215 miles. I am quite happy with the extra range but the cost of premium fuel more than offsets the the improved mpg, so there will be no cost saving for me.
There is no improvement in the cruise control, mine still shuts off and auto resumes as it did before, but Ivan made no claims that it was fixed.
Overall, I am very happy with the improved drive-ability, extra power, cooler temps, smoother running and improved mpg. Not complaining but I'd be happier with the stock 1250 rpm cold idle, this 2000 rpm requires me to slip the clutch or drag the brakes in order to keep my speed below 10 mph while exiting the RV resort we live in for the winter.
Not sure what to think about the requirement for premium fuel, I've spent the last 4 summers in northern Canada (Labrador, NWT, Yukon) and Alaska and premium is few and far between up there. I'll need to carry octane boost or have a stock ECU to install when I get there.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.