Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-31-2011, 01:41 PM   #91

I might be burning oil?

Ouch! Sure sounds like it should be covered under the warranty.

Good Luck.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #92

I might be burning oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooker
Hello once again,.......well I have the chance to put some miles on the bike, about 200 or so,.......we have had so much rain!!!!!!
Anyway, the bike idle surges, up and then down, even stalls at times. I took it to a different shop and they told me that the "Intake manifold gaskets" need to be replaced!!!!
Also they told me that I have a noisy lifter in the rear cylinder and why wasn't that all looked after when the motor was out?
Okay,....so now my bike needs to go back into the shop and have the motor pulled and cracked open "AGAIN" replace the rockers and replace the Intake manifold gaskets.
Can the dealer say, "Warranty"?
We will see.
Oh, I now have 55,000kms on the bike
I will keep ya all posted.
Update,.............. the Intake manifold gaskets were replaced under warranty and they are still looking into the rocker arms but are sure they will be covered.
The bike idle STILL surges, up and then down!!!!!!! It's like the bike is running lean???? I do have a cobra 2000 fuel possessor on it.
I have to take it back for a full diagnostic now, what next?
I will keep ya all posted.

The best 'GPS' is a full tank of gas!

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030

Old 06-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #93

I might be burning oil?

I am not a mechanic, I don't even play one on TV. Surging sounds like some kind or air leak tho, I would take the time to double check all the hose clamps and such. It can't hurt anyhow

Old 07-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #94

I might be burning oil?

Okay we are FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well I hope so!
So the bike shop replaced the "Speed Sensor" and the "Air Temp. Sensor" and so far it runs like a clock!
I still have the ticking noise that is the rocker arm and it will be dealt with in the fall.
My bike is now a pleasure to ride!
I will keep you all posted

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030

Old 07-21-2011, 10:45 AM   #95

I might be burning oil?

Well,...............I guess I posted too soon!
Yep,........it's doing the same thing, Idle surging, pinging when I'm heavy on the throttle.
So,.......back to the shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #96
Top Contributor

I might be burning oil?

you deserve to be pissed. I read all the posts because my bike was 1 quart low when I changed it. I feel for you and I'm going to buy an extended warranty. Mine runs out in December.

Anybody else using oil?
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #97

I might be burning oil?

Oh man,...............I hated to buy the extended warranty but now because of complications,............I'm glad I did.
Keep me posted

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030

Old 07-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #98

I might be burning oil?

Hey Fish!!

Mine uses oil too I'm sorry to say. So I did some searches keywording things like " vulcan 1600 oil usage" and stuff. It looks like from the postings that I found that some do and most don't. Gadget in effect says oil consumption on a big v-twin is not unusual.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/cc_breather.htm

I found a couple of posts that said changing oil brands solved it. I don't remember the oil brand mentioned.

I'm dissappointed, but I'm not going to have the dealer pull it apart and make things worse. I'm dissappointed because on my Harleys I used to start out on trips with from 4 to 6 quarts of oil in my bags. I haven't taken any trips on the Nomad but if I do I'll have to carry a quart.

Maybe one of you brainiacs like Utah Motorcyclist can do a survey on the subject!!!

¡¡Enjoy!!
Tom

Old 07-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #99

I might be burning oil?

I have talked to Fish in PMs
Here is my situation on my bike.

Yeah I have noticed I don't get as much oil out as I put in. I don't think it was ever a quart lower though.
I think as long as we have oil in the sight glass we should be OK.
I use Rotella T-6 and put in 3 quarts. That seemed like not enough to begin with but if I put more than that in it shows as to much. Not a lot to much, but to much.
There is probably still a little oil left in the filter elements also.

pooker, I would have traded that bike in on a different one. Life is to short to be putting up with that BS.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #100

I might be burning oil?

Thanks TC!!

Old 07-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #101

I might be burning oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)

Yeah I have noticed I don't get as much oil out as I put in. I don't think it was ever a quart lower though.
I use Rotella T-6 and put in 3 quarts. That seemed like not enough to begin with but if I put more than that in it shows as to much. Not a lot to much, but to much.

pooker, I would have traded that bike in on a different one. Life is to short to be putting up with that BS.
Yeah, the trouble is,.........Kawasaki they keep track of everything that is done under warranty so what ever shop I go to they know what has been done!
I would have to sell it privately, would you buy it?

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030

Old 07-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #102

I might be burning oil?

I just did 3000 miles in the last 10 days and my oil level is fine with my '07 with 51,000 miles. It seems odd to lose that much in that short of an interval without generating a smoke screen while riding. With Mobil1 20w-50 VTwin synthetic oil this time for the hot weather.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #103

I might be burning oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)

Yeah, the trouble is,.........Kawasaki they keep track of everything that is done under warranty so what ever shop I go to they know what has been done!
I would have to sell it privately, would you buy it?
No I would not buy it knowing the trouble you had.
Once I got it fixed I would sell it and get a different bike.
That way I would feel OK about someone else buying it.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #104

I might be burning oil?

Pooker, read all the posts and feel for all the grief you have been through. Just out of curiosity, what was the cost of the extended warranty and how long did you get the extension for? Hope you don't mind letting us know. In Canada as well and using the oil mentioned by Tim"Wiz". Seems like a very good oil and like the idea of the synthetic. Mac may be able to add to this about the Sea Foam, just wondering about whether you would be able to correct a few problems by adding the recommended amount to the fuel to stop some of the problems. Talked to a neighbour who fixed a problem engine with the Sea Foam and doing some research on Google, it seems like quite an interesting product. Some have nothing good to say about it but I guess you have to try it to see a difference. All the very best and hope you are back running and stays OK. Sure sounds like you folks are having a heat wave, we are having nothing but rain. Some parts of Ontario are burning up and the brother in law has a twin engine helicopter that he tried to get on the fires ....... the bureaucrats want an audit done .... he has it for BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories and Yukon ..... they won't let him work in Ontario. Guess I went off topic. All the best and keep us posted and the price you paid for extended. Thanks Den

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE

*2007 Nomad Black & Titanium - Dennis -Evansburg, Alberta Canada KawaNOW #01721

Old 07-22-2011, 03:48 AM   #105

I might be burning oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorNomad
Pooker, read all the posts and feel for all the grief you have been through. Just out of curiosity, what was the cost of the extended warranty and how long did you get the extension for? Hope you don't mind letting us know. In Canada as well and using the oil mentioned by Tim"Wiz". Seems like a very good oil and like the idea of the synthetic. Mac may be able to add to this about the Sea Foam, just wondering about whether you would be able to correct a few problems by adding the recommended amount to the fuel to stop some of the problems. Talked to a neighbour who fixed a problem engine with the Sea Foam and doing some research on Google, it seems like quite an interesting product. Some have nothing good to say about it but I guess you have to try it to see a difference. All the very best and hope you are back running and stays OK. Sure sounds like you folks are having a heat wave, we are having nothing but rain. Some parts of Ontario are burning up and the brother in law has a twin engine helicopter that he tried to get on the fires ....... the bureaucrats want an audit done .... he has it for BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories and Yukon ..... they won't let him work in Ontario. Guess I went off topic. All the best and keep us posted and the price you paid for extended. Thanks Den
I bought the maximum warranty 3 years and I believe it was around $1,100. It's a heat wave here in Ottawa, 39 Celsius yesterday!!!!

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030