Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

View Poll Results: Vote for the Slogan of your choice.....
"The Vulcan Nation" 37 35.24%
"Hard Bags, Good Times, Great Friends" 35 33.33%
"Where Dreams Begin And Adventures Never End" 12 11.43%
"Where The Open Road Never Ends" 14 13.33%
"Where Baggers Are Boss" 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
One of my few claims to fame involves Wyatt Earp. We were both born in the same town... Monmouth, Illinois; which is nothing more than a wide spot in the road.

There isn't really much of anything in the location where they claim the house was, and some still want to argue the claim -- however most historians are satisfied with the records supporting this being his birthplace.
I have to say... his relatives, or some of them, live in Oklahoma now. One of my best friends is a descendant of the Earp family. Wyatt, I believe was a great, great uncle (something to that effect). The ancestors at some point actually changed the pronunciation of the name from "urp" to "arp" because they didn't want to be affiliated with the outlaws of the family. Even though Wyatt is portrayed as a "good guy", at the time Wyatt and his brothers were outlaws. Hence, the change in the name pronunciation.

We never really got into talking about the history. I know at one point, probably when the movies came out (We were 15-16 yrs old), my friend told me that he was related to Wyatt. Of course, it didn't even register with me or dawn on me that it may be true, so I asked his mom and dad. They said it was, of course, true, but didn't go into any details. At the time, I thought it was pretty cool, but didn't ask him about it any further. Now, I wish I would have. Maybe next time I see him, I'll bring it back up. ;)

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by mobandy78; 12-13-2011 at 02:32 PM.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
Wyatt Earp is buried in Colma, CA., near San Francisco. He spent his last days living in a bungalow in Los Angeles. He loved going to see the latest releases in Cowboy movies. He always felt that the wrong impression was given of him and his part in the OK Corral. He felt people always looked at him as a cold blooded killer and that the wrong information was published about that day. He wanted to make a movie to set the record straight. He died in January, 1929.

In my research of Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday, I am of the opinion that Doc Holliday is not buried in Glenwood Springs, CO. like many historians say. I believe his Father traveled to Glenwood Springs after his death and brought his body back to Georgia for burial. The cemetery in Glenwood Springs is located on a hill and it was too difficult to take Doc's body up the hill in the middle of winter and bury him. So, he was buried in a temporary grave at the base of the hill. I believe Doc's Father had his body exumed and loaded on a train for Georgia. Even though there is a grave marker with his name on it in the Glenwood Springs cemetery, I don't believe he was ever buried there.
Would his dad not have marked Doc's grave in GA??

Old 12-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #123
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
Wyatt Earp is buried in Colma, CA., near San Francisco. He spent his last days living in a bungalow in Los Angeles. He loved going to see the latest releases in Cowboy movies. He always felt that the wrong impression was given of him and his part in the OK Corral. He felt people always looked at him as a cold blooded killer and that the wrong information was published about that day. He wanted to make a movie to set the record straight. He died in January, 1929.

In my research of Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday, I am of the opinion that Doc Holliday is not buried in Glenwood Springs, CO. like many historians say. I believe his Father traveled to Glenwood Springs after his death and brought his body back to Georgia for burial. The cemetery in Glenwood Springs is located on a hill and it was too difficult to take Doc's body up the hill in the middle of winter and bury him. So, he was buried in a temporary grave at the base of the hill. I believe Doc's Father had his body exumed and loaded on a train for Georgia. Even though there is a grave marker with his name on it in the Glenwood Springs cemetery, I don't believe he was ever buried there.
We could always find out.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 12-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #124
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by usranger74 View Post
Would his dad not have marked Doc's grave in GA??
Looters?
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 12-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #125
VBA Founder

Both Doc and his Father have unmarked graves in Griffin, GA. Or so it is believed...
http://www.ejlanham.com/DocHolliday
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by trip; 12-13-2011 at 03:03 PM.