Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #16

Ossienomad: in the old days we used to replace fuel filters every 24,000 miles. Stand alone in line filters cost about $10 those days.Then the engineers and manufacturers got smart and made a combo fuel filter and pump and put them inside the tanks. Now we never replace the filter, we just wait for it to plug up enough that it takes out the pump (around 40,000 miles for many Nomad owners). Even if the pluged filter don't burn the motor out you can't buy from Kaw the pump separate from the filter so for about $600 you get a replacement unit and put it in. Progress right? .
I'll clean my filter every 24,000 miles and recomend same to everyone. The pump/regulator/filter unit can be removed from the tank, then after taking a couple wires off and a couple mounting screws out you can separate the silver pump motor from the large white plastic filter/pressure regulater assembly. Once that is done the filter can be back flushed and then the unit reassembled and reinstalled and it is good for another 20-30,000 miles. It was actually the inlet to the pressure regulator that got clogged on mine and the other two I have worked on. But that and the actual filter portion back flush as one.
So first pour the gallon of gas in your tank into a clean container that is 8-10 inches in diameter and make sure the fuel is 4-5 inches deep. Once you have the unit out and pump motor separated from filter get a tubless tire valve stem with no valve core in it(the round rubber base is perfect fit to outlet side of filter) and a small air compressor. Set the compressor regulator to 40lbs (more than that will destroy the fuel presssure regulator part of the filter) and attach a spray handle to the air compressor hose. Put the filter in the fuel and let the body fill up then put the spray handle nozel in the valve cap end of valve stem, push the rounded end of valve stem against outlet hole on filter and spray air for about 10-15 seconds or until nothing but air bubbles come out inlet port (where pump nozel sticks in) on filter. Make sure you let the filter fill completely with fuel each time as it is the fuel not the air that cleans the debrie out. Repeat this about 2 dozen times and you should have cloudy fuel with some debire in bottom in your container.
At this point your filter is flushed and ready for reassembly. If your pump was running before you started the cleaning process that is all you need. But some people with do this only after their bike has quit. So if you bike quit then you need to test the pump motor before reassembly.
Simple to do but be carefull not to set yourself the pump or the things around you one fire. Make sure no fuel in pump, on you or anywhere close. The pump has two wires. Put one on ground and the other on the hot post of a 12 volt car, boat, motorcycle battery. The motor should spin up and "whirre" quietly. Only let it run 10-15 seconds. If it don't spin or is rough and noisy you need a new motor, otherwise put things back together. If the regulator is plugged up and overloading your pump motor you may be pleasantly surprised when free from the filter it runs smooth and quiet. Let's hope so.
If you do need a new motor I too have heard that the Mitsubushi pump option is there but I have never personally used it.
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #17
Top Contributor

Kawasaki did not change the fuel pump for the 08 model.

The information on the fuel pump (motor only) being the same as a Mitsubishi Gallant has been around for a while but I do not know anyone on this forum that has bought the fuel pump motor for the Gallant and installed it as part of the Nomad fuel pump.

Last edited by redjay; 02-06-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #18

Trosco's got the answer

Thanks Trosco, I'll clean the filter today and let you know how I get on.
Redjay, when i mentioned that kawasaki changed the pump for the 08 model i meant that it changed from the previous style of pump used on models pre the 2008 style tank (pre 2006 i think). The earlier pumps still had a conventional fuel filter in them that formed part of the internal tank assembly. A much better sytem because it allowed you to change filter or pump as seperate units. In any case trosco seems to have the solution. Thanks mark.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #19
Top Contributor

From 2005 up to and including 2008 the Nomad fuel pump is the same. The 2005 to 2008 also use the same fuel tank. To my knowledge there are no seperate parts available for the fuel pump assembly. It has to be changed as a complete assembly. There is a fuel filter at the bottom of the pump that you can clean but it cannot be bought seperately.

Kawasaki Part Number: 49040-0008. $435 at Ron Ayers.

Last edited by redjay; 02-21-2012 at 09:11 PM.