Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #1

long story - floating needle leads to "dead by the side a road"

Last time out on the bike doing 75ish on 395 and Speedo needle started floating all over the place. At lower speed noticed it float more when using blinkers. Also when using front break? Got home put the battery tender on over night, green light full charge. Took her out this evening for test run absolutely no change same symptoms but bike is running strong. Had a church camp out to attend SO idiot boy here decided I'll take her out anyway.....Rode 1 hr to the campsite no problem, leaving this evening bike started as usual was putting my helmet on and noticed white smoke starting to billowing from under front seat thought "thats not good..." Good thing was had 3 brothers at the camp site who know their way around a bike. Got the battery out discovered melting plastic on wiring, and melted/burn on something that looks like a taped up junction box? (not main fuses). Taped up the wiring and junc box thing? Started her up same floating needle symptoms no sign of smoke though one guys said their was a faint smell. Headed home, everything is going OK until I stop for gas, bike wouldn't crank; slow turn over, then clicking. Give it a minute then she cranked up and Im on back roads 30 mins from home. Just about to get on 395, shifting into 3rd and lose power and dash display, she went for about and 3 mins then died by the side of the road, no turning just clicking. Good thing was she died beside the house of a brother that wasn't at the camp out he gave me a ride home. I've a new battery I'll install tomorrow hope to at least ride the bike home or to the shop. Any thoughts or similar experiences?

"Don't play pig when the butcher's coming"

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #2

You got more than a dead battery going on there. Sounds like a short to ground or high resistance in the wiring causing over heating. I think you better have a close look at the harness and connectors looking for damage in the area where you saw the smoke, cause if you ignore it you may fry your harness beyond repair.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 08-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #3

Norm, I've NO skills when it comes to maintenance. he main burn damage was in the wiring that ended with a taped up box. What should I be looking for? Exposed wires? Whats the ballpark figure to replace a harness? I'll probably have to take into the shop and funds are tight.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

You keep running that and you will either burn the bike up, or fry every electrical part on it, if you haven't already.

Your buddies you think know their way around a bike DON'T, or they would not have let you run the bike again.

Me: I am known to be blunt, it's not personal.

If you post pics i will even try to help. I'll even take a wild guess from the avatar and say this is a 05 1600 because the best i can tell I think I see blue.

It also sounds like you have a BAD Dead Short and something aftermarkets is IT. Something that should be fused but isn't.

Something that will draw every last AMP the alternators can put out and suck them dry toasting all of that besides the old and the new battery, taking the entire wire harness out with it ALL.

Stick to what you know (Drinking )

get some pictures of the damage.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #5

I don't know the cost of replacing a harness and I don't think you want to know. That being said generally in melted wires or connections the damaged area is usually the site of the source. I you didn't blow any fuses I would suspect poor or dirty connections at the box you talk about caused high resistance in one or more wires. Think, of the wires like a garden hose and you kink it and restrict the flow. this would cause the area to over heat, melting insulation of one or more wires or the connection. Witch in turn created greater resistance etc. I would start by really carefully inspecting the area for damage. Unwrap any black covering and or tape and if you see signs of melting or dis coloring of the insulation, follow the wires back till you get to undamaged wires. This part will have to be replaced with new wires. What ever the connection is may also need to be replaced if you see signs of heat damage. Also since the bike finally quit you may have blown one or more fuses if the insulation melted enough to expose bare wires that could touch each other or the frame. Not sur if you can still get the shop Manuel on line here, but the wiring diagram would be very useful in understanding what wires did what and where they go.
Hope this helps in getting you started.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #6

Removed the battery, checked the wiring that melted and was taped wasnt burned or melted. Install new battery, cranked up, no smoke or burning, still has same floating needle issue, road bike 15 mins home, no smoke or smell, going to get into the burnt wiring this week see if i can locate the issue. Will try post pics. Hopefully havn't done to much damage.

Thanks for all the advice

Old 08-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

No idea what the taped up box is? I hope you haven't done much damage too. My whole reason to exist here is to save guys bucks. What isn't working?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #8

I'm no expert but I don't think this is meant to look this way... Looks like this has 10 ground and 1 live wire. Anyone know where I would get a replacement part?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ElecShort1.jpg (83.5 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg ElecShort2.jpg (90.0 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by irishguy; 08-19-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

That oem! Yikes..... back off with the camera I don't know what that gang connector is for. I can't tell where it is on the bike either.

You need to know where these wires GO and what's on them. If you just fix that connector and don't know what the problem is you could get a nice fire and toast the bike.

My best guess on location is behind the coolant overflow bottle.

If it were my bike i would have the battery disconnected right now and use a OHMS meter to sort this mess out.

What wasn't working?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #10

Ouch! That looks messy. Good luck with that one... Like Mac says, pull back so we can see the whole set up and maybe figure out where and what it is.

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Old 08-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
Top Contributor

From your avatar photo it looks like you have a 1600.

The orange connector looks like one of the "Joint Connectors." I'm not sure what the white connector is.

There are two of these on the 1600. Joint connector #1 and Joint connector #2.

JC #1 is a 14 position connector but 2 positions are unused.
It has 6 ground wires attached.
There are also 3 Gray wires and 3 Green wires which go to the front turn/running lights.

JC #2 is also a 14 position connector and all postions are used.
All 14 are gound wires, there are no live wires in this connector.

If I had to guess, I would go with JC #2 as the one in your photo.

If it is Joint Connector #2, here is the listing of the grounds:

Regulator/Rectifier - Rear
Battery Negative Post - (Two wires)
Starter Relay
Radiator Fan
Turn Signal Control Relay
Oil Pressure Warning Light Delay Unit
Joint Connector #1
Regulator/Rectifier - Front
Speed Sensor
Electronic Control Unit (ECU) - (Four wires)
Crank Shaft Sensors
Frame Ground
Fuel Level Sensor
Fuel Reserve Switch
Side Stand Switch
License Plate Light
Tail/Brake Light
Rear Accessory Connection

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 08-19-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Yellow jacket I guessed as to year too. See my first post.

Where the hell are these JC's located? Unless my bike spits up, or someone else's does, i don't bother to discover every last detail.

My guess was behind the coolant tank, but i wonder if the real problem is the chaffed harness under the tank where it turns down. people 'say' they see nothing wrong there often times but haven't pulled the harness down from the frame.

All hell can and will break loose there if that harness is left to chaff.

I think this is a result of that, and a new plug isn't the real fix. A new plug will just fry...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #13
Top Contributor

Mac, I believe that JC #1 is located inside the headlight bucket. It's gray. Don't take this for gospel, I need to verify the number and color of the wires before I can be sure.

I "think" that JC #2 is located somewhere in the vicinity of either the battery or maybe behind the right side cover. When I get a chance, I'll seach for it.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 08-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

This is the head lamp connector and maybe the gray JC...

I didn't take this shot for wires though

There is No orange connector there.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #15

Think Yellow J is on the money here. Its 2# tucked in below/beside the the battery. Think Wiring runs up under the tank. All black and yellow wires and 1 black with red stripe. Everything visible lights, dash, indicators etc are working, dont know about internals like alternators. Took the plug off the wires were paired one below each other, looks like the far right pair heated and melted together. All the rest where mint.

I'm flying in the dark here so all the help is greatly appreciated

Last edited by irishguy; 08-19-2013 at 04:40 PM.