Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-30-2014, 11:33 PM   #1

removing clip from rear shocks

I read about removing the clip from the rear shocks to lower the bike awhile back and did this mod. It worked great at lowering the bike and giving me more firm footing. Riding 2 up would bottom now and again without some air added.

A WORD OF CAUTION!. I blew out my right shock today hitting a pot hole. I was running about 30psi in each shock and was going about 10mph when I hit the hole. Heard a loud pop and rode 100 yards to my house and oil everywhere. I've got the shock off right now to put the clips back in.

As soon as I get a chance I'll measure for clearance from eye to eye on the mounts.

Think I'm gonna go with a set of corvette air shocks for now, they're under $100. fully compressed theyre 9.5" . I'll add the compressor and everything else later.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-01-2014, 12:58 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Corvette shocks, as in shocks off a Chevy Corvette? I would think a Corvette weighs a little more than your bike and it will probably ride like a lumber truck.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-01-2014, 04:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Corvette shocks, as in shocks off a Chevy Corvette? I would think a Corvette weighs a little more than your bike and it will probably ride like a lumber truck.
They're air adjustable, granted they take a lot more air to fill them but from what I've seen on street glides folks are happy with the ride. They're basically what people are re branding and selling in the kits. As far as I can tell the bushings need modified and they'll bolt right on. The bonus for me is they're cheap and have a Schrader valve so I don't have to complete the kit tight away.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Grimm View Post
I read about removing the clip from the rear shocks to lower the bike awhile back and did this mod. It worked great at lowering the bike and giving me more firm footing. Riding 2 up would bottom now and again without some air added.

A WORD OF CAUTION!. I blew out my right shock today hitting a pot hole. I was running about 30psi in each shock and was going about 10mph when I hit the hole. Heard a loud pop and rode 100 yards to my house and oil everywhere. I've got the shock off right now to put the clips back in.

As soon as I get a chance I'll measure for clearance from eye to eye on the mounts.

Think I'm gonna go with a set of corvette air shocks for now, they're under $100. fully compressed theyre 9.5" . I'll add the compressor and everything else later.
Would love to see if that works on kawasaki 1700 bikes.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #5

What I've found on the 1700s is that the right side transmission cover juts out and prevents you from getting that firm footing. I flat foot the left side and often tip toe the right.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Login or Register to Remove Ads