Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #1

Speaker and Amp upgrade Question.

Getting ready to add the Alpine 445 U amp and Polk db 521 speakers to my Vaquero. I have a question. Is there anything to gain, or lose by using a line level adapter between the speaker to amp inputs?
Also, I am going to run the main power and ground from the battery, do I need to hook up the auxiliary power wire to turn on amp with switch, or will it power up by sensing the speaker output?

Any other tips from someone who had done this?

Thanks for any input.
V&H ProPipe, Thunder big air kit, Ivanized ECU.
Ray's throttle mod, ISO grips, 4" risers, rear light mods
Mustang Touring seat
400 watt Alpine Amp with 6.5 Kickers
Fusion LED Headlight

VBA # 02224
VROC # 2702

Godfather

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #2

Sounds like a question for the Alpine folks

Best wishes on your upgrade!

Old 08-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Getting ready to add the Alpine 445 U amp and Polk db 521 speakers to my Vaquero. I have a question. Is there anything to gain, or lose by using a line level adapter between the speaker to amp inputs?
Also, I am going to run the main power and ground from the battery, do I need to hook up the auxiliary power wire to turn on amp with switch, or will it power up by sensing the speaker output?

Any other tips from someone who had done this?

Thanks for any input.
Just did that same thing this past spring. No need for the LL adapter or the aux power. The amp uses the speaker level inputs. Just cut and splice your current speaker wires. Amp auto senses the speakers powering up. I used quick disconnects like many here have done so I can pull it out of line easier. Obviously be sure to fuse the power from the battery as close to the battery as possible. Adjust your gain on the amp before you button up the fairing. dynamat or other sound insulation inside the fairing near the speaker wells will improve the sound quality but 5.25 inch speakers are what they are. Still a great upgrade if you want to be able to hear the tunes at 90.
Thunder air kit
Kawi aux driving light kit
Alpine KTP445U Amp
Polk DB521 speakers
Kury grips with Ray's mod
Chuckster's risers
powder coated crash bars with
Kury black longhorn pegs
KQR backrest
Ipod connector ...
and the list is getting shorter

Old 08-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #4

I would also install some dynamat or fatmat rattle trap since the fairing will be off. It makes a huge difference with road noise and rattling.