Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2023, 12:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Yep, the 500's are for another forum. That being said, you took everything apart, new gaskets installed....that tells us you completely disassembled the engine. Have you ever rebuilt a engine before?
Just replacing gaskets, reassembly, and re-hooking up the the wires....there's alot of stuff that could've gone wrong....
Since I'm a factory wrench-jockey, here's things you need to check....BUT, before that you need 3 things for a engine to run:
1. You need spark. you need it to happen at the right time.... There's coils, wires, plugs, and the ecm involved....

2. You need fuel, the right amount for the given throttle opening. Not too much, not too little. All this also depends on the carbs, petcock, and fuel in the tank. If your bike has EFI, there's injectors, fuel pump, and ecm involved....

3. You need compression, the right amount, happening at TDC....top dead center....this isn't just the piston, but the valves have to be timed in the right combination in the right orientation top the piston.

I'll save a very long winded rant here, but the repair manual, your tools, a good, clean shop helps....also the right forum for the right bike....
Do you have good fuel? Is there spark? Do you have compression? Did you line up your timing marks on the flywheel to the timing marks on the cams? Is the ign. timing timed correctly on the crank?????
As you can see, this gets quite involved....as the old addage says.....Knowledge is power....the more you know, there easier things get....
Just my two pecos....

Good ole Mick....we need to get him a Viking hat....
Thank you kindly mrs.