Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #1

How can I remove scratches from windshield?

Hey guys (and gals)! I just bought a 2003 Nomad 1500Fi and I see that the windshield has scratches all over it. ASIDE from buying a new windshield, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get them out or to minimize them? I know that there is plastic polish or buffer, but I'm curious if anyone has used anything else to get rid of the scratches. ???

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Congratulations on your new bike!

If they're not too deep try rubbing them out with toothpaste. I know, sounds dumb but it will work for some scratches.

P.S. Is that your ride to SD for the rally?

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 08-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomrider
Hey guys (and gals)! I just bought a 2003 Nomad 1500Fi and I see that the windshield has scratches all over it. ASIDE from buying a new windshield, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get them out or to minimize them? I know that there is plastic polish or buffer, but I'm curious if anyone has used anything else to get rid of the scratches. ???
Go to a Local MC shop. Metris or HD,, also ON LINE... MOST will Carry stuff called Novas.. there is #1 #2 and #3they are for different types of scratchs,, Small,deeper etc,, if they are too deep your SOL..But normal scratchs it does great.Rich

Old 08-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

You can go to WalMart and buy "Bar Keepers Friend". It looks and pours like Ajax but its used to get scratches out of polished stone and metal. I've used it on car windshields after getting sand blasted in a desert windstorm and it worked pretty darn good. Cost about a dollar.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by radco
Quote:
Go to a Local MC shop. Metris or HD,, also ON LINE... MOST will Carry stuff called Novas.. there is #1 #2 and #3they are for different types of scratchs,, Small,deeper etc,, if they are too deep your SOL..But normal scratchs it does great.Rich
Hey Rich, The Novas products have worked well for me. I have all three for deep and minor scratches and the polish to finish it up. You can get all three on skygeek.com with very reasonable shipping. My windscreen and subscreen scratched eachother as I was sliding the subscreen down. There was dirt trapped between the two. It ruined my day when it happened.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-05-2008, 12:00 AM   #6

I'll look into all of the suggestions to see which might work the best on my windshield. Due to the numerous fine scratches all over the windshield, I am leaning towards Novas. I am concerned that Bar Keepers Friend may be too abrasive for plastic. Just to say I've tried it and to see if it works, I will try toothpaste first.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by radco
Hey Rich, The Novas products have worked well for me. I have all three for deep and minor scratches and the polish to finish it up. You can get all three on skygeek.com with very reasonable shipping. My windscreen and subscreen scratched eachother as I was sliding the subscreen down. There was dirt trapped between the two. It ruined my day when it happened.
Terre Yea I love that stuff.. Novas is Great. now toothpaste ,never thought of that :).BUT Toothpaste worked on getting out ringe around the collar LOL we use it on our white hats in the Navy..gets the dirt out Rich

Old 08-05-2008, 05:11 AM   #8

Quote:
I'll look into all of the suggestions to see which might work the best on my windshield. Due to the numerous fine scratches all over the windshield, I am leaning towards Novas. I am concerned that Bar Keepers Friend may be too abrasive for plastic. Just to say I've tried it and to see if it works, I will try toothpaste first.
Carrol,With Toothpaste I assume it should be the White type only? we used tooth paste in the navy to get dirt rings out of our White hats, BUT it had to be the White type paste.ALSO I would AVOID Ex Tra white type paste as it is more abrassive,,IMO......AND MOST IMPORTANT NEVER use Paper Towles to wipe the Shield or the Bike,,ANYTHING made from a TREE has fibers that can scratch!!! Very fine scratch but youll see it in Clear Coat and the Shield...............Rich

Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 AM   #9

congratulations on your new ride

Old 08-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #10

Hey Rich! I'll make sure to white toothpaste. I'm trying it today, so I'll post the results later...and no paper towels. The scratches on the windshield look like the previous owner used something very abrasive to clean it.

Carol