Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-14-2010, 01:39 PM   #136

If you had one other bike....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"

Old Bob,,, riding to 74 makes you a God in my eyes brother! Brad
Anyone riding at that age should get a medal and treated to lunch! I'll buy lunch.
Next time one of y'all are in Florida, keep an eye out for Roy "Rocky" Chandler. He's been riding since his Army days, now he is in his 90's, so...60+ years of riding? A year or two ago he switched to a trike after his stand sunk into the pavement and he needed help to get the bike upright again.

oh and for the haters: every one of those 60+ years has been on a HD

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by finger
Quote:

Anyone riding at that age should get a medal and treated to lunch! I'll buy lunch.
Next time one of y'all are in Florida, keep an eye out for Roy "Rocky" Chandler. He's been riding since his Army days, now he is in his 90's, so...60+ years of riding? A year or two ago he switched to a trike after his stand sunk into the pavement and he needed help to get the bike upright again.

Haters ??? There are no Haters on this forum. We are one big happy family of motorcycle riders.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #138

Sounds nice! For lux touring the Wing is the only way to go. Performance, comfort, and low maintenance un-equaled.

Five years ago I had a wing and a riding buddy had an LT and we both put a ton of miles on em, usually together. His maintenance costs were $2 - 3 thousand a year, mine were $2 - 3 hundred!

Maintenance fees aside, I never saw any advantage of his bike over mine. Then we both bought Adventure touring bikes him a GS, me a V-Strom. The purchase cost of the GS was almost twice what my strom cost and again, maintenance fees were many times higher than what I was paying. I put an auto chain oiler on mine and forgot about the chain, he was constantly worried that his final drive was going to fail.

Now, we have both gone to cruisers, he says he was tired of the high cost and finally dumped BMW, and bought a Victory. I got the Nomad.

I've not seen him in a while to see how he is liking the Victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trosco
Well, I was really interested in what everybody had to say, and there really are a bunch of bikes I would like to add to the stable. But, although I like the Nomad, the wife (who broke into being a motorcycle passenger on the back end of my previous wing so the standard for passenger comfort may have been set too high) refuses to ride on the passenger post. Says lots of things about why but bassically it just wasn't the back end of a goldwing.
Since the back surgery the reason for getting rid of the wing was fixed and I had been listening to "if you still had the wing I'd ride with you" for a couple years so, I started saying maybe I would by one and she said "hurry up" so.... I did. Bought a 2010 HPNAM model. That's heated seats and grips, premium audio system, XM and IPOD/MP3, Tire press monitor, Nav system, ABS. On new Wings Honda's giving 4 year unlimited mileage factory warranty and $1000 free accessories so added CB, headset, dual antenae and12v power outlet. Supposed to be in on 18th. Oh, I bought titanium so that it would match the Nomad.
Keeping the Nomad, like it and like Nomad people so I will just have a reason to ride more!

Old 12-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #139
Sr. Contributor

BMWs are expensive to own if you don't do your own service. If you do, it's not that much more than any other bike, although you'll have to do a little more.

The biggest thing BMW is a stickler for is changing the brake fluid. If you know how to bleed brakes, it's no big deal on newer BMWs. Older ones were a little more involved with the ABS they had.

The LT is a lighter bike and by most accounts I have read, it handles better than a GW and is a faster bike on the top end. They've since discontinued it and are coming out with a K1600GT and GTL series bikes which are in a class by themselves, including price.

[flash=350,287:v7ip481d]http://www.youtube.com/v/LYUbURkdvnY&hl=en&fs=1[/flash:v7ip481d]
</td><td valign="top">
<iframe src="http://images.proboards.com/300x250.html" width="300" height="250" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
</td></tr></table>

As far as the GS goes, I don't know what year he had, but if it'e a 2007 and up, maintenance is very easy. It sounds like he didn't do his own work. It would cost anyone a fortune if they went to the dealer for everything. The GS is a great bike and I actually wanted the GSA, but the wife wouldn't ride on it. It fit me like a glove. While the RT is a little more cramped than the GSA, it does everything well, well almost. Very strong cross winds are a b!tch, but that's about it. I kind of like the 300 mile range.

Lastly, BMW stands for Bring Money Wilhelm and the cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider. :) It's a trip...

Quote:
Sounds nice! For lux touring the Wing is the only way to go. Performance, comfort, and low maintenance un-equaled.

Five years ago I had a wing and a riding buddy had an LT and we both put a ton of miles on em, usually together. His maintenance costs were $2 - 3 thousand a year, mine were $2 - 3 hundred!

Maintenance fees aside, I never saw any advantage of his bike over mine. Then we both bought Adventure touring bikes him a GS, me a V-Strom. The purchase cost of the GS was almost twice what my strom cost and again, maintenance fees were many times higher than what I was paying. I put an auto chain oiler on mine and forgot about the chain, he was constantly worried that his final drive was going to fail.

Now, we have both gone to cruisers, he says he was tired of the high cost and finally dumped BMW, and bought a Victory. I got the Nomad.

I've not seen him in a while to see how he is liking the Victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trosco
Well, I was really interested in what everybody had to say, and there really are a bunch of bikes I would like to add to the stable. But, although I like the Nomad, the wife (who broke into being a motorcycle passenger on the back end of my previous wing so the standard for passenger comfort may have been set too high) refuses to ride on the passenger post. Says lots of things about why but bassically it just wasn't the back end of a goldwing.
Since the back surgery the reason for getting rid of the wing was fixed and I had been listening to "if you still had the wing I'd ride with you" for a couple years so, I started saying maybe I would by one and she said "hurry up" so.... I did. Bought a 2010 HPNAM model. That's heated seats and grips, premium audio system, XM and IPOD/MP3, Tire press monitor, Nav system, ABS. On new Wings Honda's giving 4 year unlimited mileage factory warranty and $1000 free accessories so added CB, headset, dual antenae and12v power outlet. Supposed to be in on 18th. Oh, I bought titanium so that it would match the Nomad.
Keeping the Nomad, like it and like Nomad people so I will just have a reason to ride more!
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 12-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbob
heres a picture of the quickest one that I had:
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x...bobonnbike.jpg
That looks like it would have been a fun ride. What kind of speed and times did it do?
Normal runs were 5.37 on the 1/8 mile at 125 MPH and 8.58 at 151 on the 1/4 mile.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #141
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh

That looks like it would have been a fun ride. What kind of speed and times did it do?
Normal runs were 5.37 on the 1/8 mile at 125 MPH and 8.58 at 151 on the 1/4 mile.
Trap speeds seem a tad low for the ET. May be it's just been awhile.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 12-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #142

must have been a while for you, trap speeds are spot on for the ET. The bike was deadly consistant and won several local, regional and national events.
I miss that bike more than any that I have sold, not so much the racing but the bike itself, it was show quality. I should have kept it and put it in a display case.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #143
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
must have been a while for you, trap speeds are spot on for the ET. The bike was deadly consistant and won several local, regional and national events.
I miss that bike more than any that I have sold, not so much the racing but the bike itself, it was show quality. I should have kept it and put it in a display case.
Used to race with a guy that had a suzuki that would have speeds around 160-165 for ets in that range.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 12-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
Quote:

Haters ??? There are no Haters on this forum. We are one big happy family of motorcycle riders.

True, but lets be honest, there's at least one Harley basher on every board...

Old 12-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #145
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)

We should flush him out!
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 12-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #146

Quote:
Maintenance fees aside, I never saw any advantage of his bike over mine.
A couple friends of mine ride K1200LTs. They do get very good gas mileage compared to any other full on touring bike - but the nearest dealer is 70 miles away and the maintenance is a bit heavy. If the delare was closer though, I'd probably jump on one of the many good deals on used K1200LTs that are around. As it is, I'm thinking Wing in about 3 years since I have to turn 50 first to qualify (kind of like the senior golf tour!)

Old 12-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #147
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

as a former pro drag racer in motorcycles that ET and speed at consistant with a drag bike running a rear slick and wheelie bar.

Harley's factory drag bike runs mid 9's at upper 130's.

Ponch your comparing a modern day bike's terminal speed with a drag bike. Their terminal speed is high because they can't launch like justbob's bike.

My B modified turbo Suzuki ran 8.88 @ 163 MPH. that was back in the day when drag bikes only had road racing slicks as their rear tire of choice...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 12-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #148
Sr. Contributor

That's true. Mario's best was 8.29 at 165. He had al he could do to keep it straight as the torque was twisting things and the bike wanted to drift. Fun days. We also had a top HD. 7.7 in the quarter. Forgot the traps. I think it was near 200 if not over. Damn loudest bike I have ever heard. I used to start it for him in the burnout pit and if I wasn't wearing plugs, well, my inner ear would tickle. crazy bike. I had a lowly KZ1000 street bike with a wiseco 1260 kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
as a former pro drag racer in motorcycles that ET and speed at consistant with a drag bike running a rear slick and wheelie bar.

Harley's factory drag bike runs mid 9's at upper 130's.

Ponch your comparing a modern day bike's terminal speed with a drag bike. Their terminal speed is high because they can't launch like justbob's bike.

My B modified turbo Suzuki ran 8.88 @ 163 MPH. that was back in the day when drag bikes only had road racing slicks as their rear tire of choice...
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 12-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #149
Sr. Contributor

I take the libertarian approach. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. The only thing I ask is back it up as to why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loafer
Quote:

We should flush him out!
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT