Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndbigfish View Post
Finally someone said what I was thinking. The change on the 1700s has me looking at other bikes for my next purchase. Check the lid of a 1700 Nomad/Voyager bag against the lid of an HD sometime. 40 or 45 percent of the storage is in the lid and flimsy; Wow! The trunk is no better. Check the quality of the chrome and paint. Personally I think Kawasaki tried to make an improvement with the Vaquero and offer something different, all be it suspiously similar to a Street Glide. I don't know what happened with the other models. I didn't care for the 1600 but I will not be an owner of a 1700. There is no comparison of fit and finish when compared against a HD. Kawasaki paints its bikes like "How about something with silver". Kawasaki should be able to look at the bikes on this forum and the light bulb should come on about what the market segment is after. I guess it is the difference in business models as there is no HD Heavy Industries. I have checked the Wing, but I'm just not ready to leave a twin yet, but 118 bhp is the siren's song. Victory may be the way out or maybe I'll just keep saving my allowance and hope my 03 will last like Quinton Grubbs. Rant over - thanks.
Hey Brik,
I sent Kawi customer service a long email a few years ago. I had a Vulcan 1500 Classic at the time, wanted to trade up to the 1700 but didn't like all the plastic. I asked them if Kawi was planning on offering the plastic parts (the fender rails, speedo housing, engine covers, etc.) as chrome accessories for those of use who wanted chrome. I was serious: I would have spent another grand on chrome in a heartbeat. Well, they never got back to me. You'd think they'd at least show a current Vulcan owner some professional courtesy. But not a word. They don't care about us. I doubt they even take the time to read these forums.
________
IntheWind
'08 Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #182
Top Contributor

Quote:
Finally someone said what I was thinking. The change on the 1700s has me looking at other bikes for my next purchase. Check the lid of a 1700 Nomad/Voyager bag against the lid of an HD sometime. 40 or 45 percent of the storage is in the lid and flimsy; Wow! The trunk is no better. Check the quality of the chrome and paint. Personally I think Kawasaki tried to make an improvement with the Vaquero and offer something different, all be it suspiously similar to a Street Glide. I don't know what happened with the other models. I didn't care for the 1600 but I will not be an owner of a 1700. There is no comparison of fit and finish when compared against a HD. Kawasaki paints its bikes like "How about something with silver". Kawasaki should be able to look at the bikes on this forum and the light bulb should come on about what the market segment is after. I guess it is the difference in business models as there is no HD Heavy Industries. I have checked the Wing, but I'm just not ready to leave a twin yet, but 118 bhp is the siren's song. Victory may be the way out or maybe I'll just keep saving my allowance and hope my 03 will last like Quinton Grubbs. Rant over - thanks.
I think Jared has a lot of work in front of him in leading the way forward for the VBA. Hopefully he can get the ear of somebody who really cares and/or counts at Kawasaki and make inroads where some obvious problems exist. You would think that reading this or any other Vulcan forum would be someone's only job at Kawasaki...just to have a clue what their market likes, or does not like about their product. It has been five years in a row now that people have complained about the flimsiness of the 1700 bags and small trunk....the top-loading bags vs the totally awesome side-openers that scream "Vulcan" the very second you see them, the lack of rider/passenger room on the 1700 models....and the complaints about the plastic chrome and paint combinations. What has Kawasaki done in these past five years to address any of that?

Virtually everyone has raved about the 1500/1600 Nomads and how comfortable and classy they are...and always will be. If I were running the show at MaKaw....it would take me until yesterday to move away from the current 1700 platform (the Vaquero being the exception) and instruct my design team to come up with a bike based on the 1600 platform with a 103-106 ci motor, six-speed tranny...and optional touring accessories such as a large trunk, lowers, faring, etc. That bike would be a home run every day of the week....and a grand slam on Sundays. They should quit worrying about price point as a basis of concern. To quote a famous line from Field of Dreams...."If you build it, they will come". I guess until they feel the pain (which might be any day now) of market loss in that genre of bike(s)...they will continue to pound their heads against the wall and deliver bikes to dealerships that just don't seem to sell. You can't sell peanuts to a crowd clamoring for popcorn....and why would you even try...??

Just read some of the posts here by long-time members who have stated their next bikes will be something else, or by us long-time members who have already moved on from the brand because Kawi failed to meet our wants and/or needs. I at least gave them another shot before tossing in the towel, most here won't. That alone should tell Kawasaki they have gone off the rails someplace and need to get back in the game before it is too late.... JMHO....
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Last edited by Netnorske; 04-03-2013 at 08:22 PM.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #183

Kris... you remember "us" meeting at the Custer national rally. ALL of us rode Nomads at that rally -- and we loved them (as we still do).

That was the year Kawa introduced the new Voyager. I left the rally (with my Nomad) and headed home with the decision I was not going to do all the work on my Nomad to make it what I wanted (mostly the addition of a trunk for storage).

Instead, I headed directly the the Kawa dealer to try-out a new Voyager. Immediate impressions were not good to me... and there is no need to re-hash them... they have been mentioned ad-nauseum.

However, the impact of these "complaints" was valid in my opinion -- especially given the price at that time (remember... dealers were not willing to bargain on price back then).

Besides other issues I had with it (to tall for me to be comfortable - as you now know)... I left the dealer entirely disappointed, if not pissed-off a bit (just ask my wife).

Dropped-by a HD dealer and bought the bike I have now with cash. Now... I am not mentioning the "cash-thing" for any other reason than to emphasize the point Kawa had a "paying-customer" and literally blew-it with me.

Now... having said these things... I still believe Kawa makes a good motorcycle, and that their newer models have merit in many respects.

HOWEVER... I am absolutely amazed Kawa did not continue with the success of the Nomad. I to this day am entirely disappointed they didn't just slightly redesign the Nomad to include a trunk, some "lowers", and a fairing as options to their customers.

I am like you Kris... I would like to have been in that board-meeting to hear the discussion of how the heck their product decisions were going to be a "hit".

Lastly... I loved my Nomad, for those that may take my comments wrong. My statements are more focused on the corporate decisions made rather than their product quality. I still think Kawa makes a great bike for the value to price ratio.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Last edited by glwilson; 04-03-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #184
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheWind View Post
Is the Road Glide more comfortable than the Street Glide? Does a fixed fairing make that much difference?
Everyone has there own preferences, but to be sure ride them both, but ride them equally hard, especially in to the corners, passing and high-speed. Maybe it's just me, but I love the ride of this bike and there is no comparison (in my mind) to the Street Glide. I first was introduced to this bike by a ridding buddy who had one and he never wanted to stop at the end of the day, he wanted to keep going and he often would, going for a side ride (200-300 kms extra) and returning later that night. (He now has a BMW 1600 GT and he just gets everywhere faster than the rest of us.) I never beleived it until I rode his and now I'm the same way. Now an 800 km day feels short!

Old 04-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
I think Jared has a lot of work in front of him in leading the way forward for the VBA. Hopefully he can get the ear of somebody who really cares and/or counts at Kawasaki and make inroads where some obvious problems exist. You would think that reading this or any other Vulcan forum would be someone's only job at Kawasaki...just to have a clue what their market likes, or does not like about their product. It has been five years in a row now that people have complained about the flimsiness of the 1700 bags and small trunk....the top-loading bags vs the totally awesome side-openers that scream "Vulcan" the very second you see them, the lack of rider/passenger room on the 1700 models....and the complaints about the plastic chrome and paint combinations. What has Kawasaki done in these past five years to address any of that?

Virtually everyone has raved about the 1500/1600 Nomads and how comfortable and classy they are...and always will be. If I were running the show at MaKaw....it would take me until yesterday to move away from the current 1700 platform (the Vaquero being the exception) and instruct my design team to come up with a bike based on the 1600 platform with a 103-106 ci motor, six-speed tranny...and optional touring accessories such as a large trunk, lowers, faring, etc. That bike would be a home run every day of the week....and a grand slam on Sundays. They should quit worrying about price point as a basis of concern. To quote a famous line from Field of Dreams...."If you build it, they will come". I guess until they feel the pain (which might be any day now) of market loss in that genre of bike(s)...they will continue to pound their heads against the wall and deliver bikes to dealerships that just don't seem to sell. You can't sell peanuts to a crowd clamoring for popcorn....and why would you even try...??

Just read some of the posts here by long-time members who have stated their next bikes will be something else, or by us long-time members who have already moved on from the brand because Kawi failed to meet our wants and/or needs. I at least gave them another shot before tossing in the towel, most here won't. That alone should tell Kawasaki they have gone off the rails someplace and need to get back in the game before it is too late.... JMHO....
Well said, Kris!

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #186

I have had a Nomad since 2001 when I bought my 99. We all know its short comings, however it has many assets that offset this little problem and I still have it today. When I bought an additional Nomad some of my acquaintances thought I was a little off, but I like the 1500 and it met the type of riding that I did. I'd like to change the bike I ride to match the type of riding that I am able to do now, however the offerings by Makaw are not to my liking. While I like the Vaquero and can over look the obvious lack of chrome, however the Mrs. does not like the lack of a princess pillion, backrests, etc. Additionally, I just can't embrace the Voyager as much as I try after I touch it.

I use my bike to commute and to take weekend trips; no short trips to bars, weekly bike nights or high speed fright trips. I'm to the point that having to fabricate a bike to match my riding type is not appealing. It is hard not to have a wandering eye when other manufacturers offer out of the box offerings that are ready to ride; no modification required. I know there are those VBA members that enjoy the challenge to modify, but I think Makaw doesn't understand that most of the modifications we make are to improve the performance, operation and comfort and not just to tinker. By purchasing from other manufacturers we no longer have to put on fairings, trunks, additional lights, auxillary fuse blocks, lowers, air wings, aftermarket seats, gauge packages, exhaust systems, suspensions, cruise controls, fuel processors, intakes, risers, handlebars, sound systems, electronics, paint and various trim. At VBA we are building the bike Kawa doesn't offer from parts they don't make. The conclusion seems obvious.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Old 04-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #187
Top Contributor

Quote:
I have had a Nomad since 2001 when I bought my 99. We all know its short comings, however it has many assets that offset this little problem and I still have it today. When I bought an additional Nomad some of my acquaintances thought I was a little off, but I like the 1500 and it met the type of riding that I did. I'd like to change the bike I ride to match the type of riding that I am able to do now, however the offerings by Makaw are not to my liking. While I like the Vaquero and can over look the obvious lack of chrome, however the Mrs. does not like the lack of a princess pillion, backrests, etc. Additionally, I just can't embrace the Voyager as much as I try after I touch it.

I use my bike to commute and to take weekend trips; no short trips to bars, weekly bike nights or high speed fright trips. I'm to the point that having to fabricate a bike to match my riding type is not appealing. It is hard not to have a wandering eye when other manufacturers offer out of the box offerings that are ready to ride; no modification required. I know there are those VBA members that enjoy the challenge to modify, but I think Makaw doesn't understand that most of the modifications we make are to improve the performance, operation and comfort and not just to tinker. By purchasing from other manufacturers we no longer have to put on fairings, trunks, additional lights, auxillary fuse blocks, lowers, air wings, aftermarket seats, gauge packages, exhaust systems, suspensions, cruise controls, fuel processors, intakes, risers, handlebars, sound systems, electronics, paint and various trim. At VBA we are building the bike Kawa doesn't offer from parts they don't make. The conclusion seems obvious.
Is anyone at Kawasaki Motors reading this...?? Hello.....anyone home....?? You really can't argue with any of that....
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 04-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
Is anyone at Kawasaki Motors reading this...?? Hello.....anyone home....?? You really can't argue with any of that....
I don't think anyone's home.
_________
IntheWind
'08 Nomad

Old 08-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #189

Every few years I go into the Harley dealership and ride a Road King. I'm not interested in stepping up to a full blown touring bike, so the only real comparison to my Nomad is the RK and perhaps the Victory Cross Roads Classic. Maybe I just need to confirm my original decision or perhaps to find out if the recent changes to the RK line is worth it. I do admire the fit and finish and find it superior to my Nomad.

My local Kawa dealer is basically a car dealer equivalent. I go in there maybe once a year to look at the new models, or for scheduled maintenance that I don't want to deal with. That's about it. Of course the Harley dealers are much more than that. And I do enjoy the Harley bike shows, brats and beer Saturday's, etc.

I don't define my self worth by the kind of bike I ride. I don't often ride with a crowd, and I've never followed one. The bottom line for me, is the ride. I love the way the Nomad rides. I feel the RK to be cramped. It runs hotter than my Nomad and frankly, I just can't get past the shaking vibration at idle. I know it's supposed to be old school, but to me, it's just vibration. I do find the RK easy to maneuver at parking lot speed, but I'm so used to my Nomad, I can turn a tight line as well as most Harley riders anyway.

At my stage in life, money isn't an issue and I could have a Harley if I wanted it. Maybe in the distant future when my Nomad finally dies, and MawKaw hasn't improved enough, I'll get a Harley. But not now.
VBA #00716

Old 08-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #190
Top Contributor

I have few complaints about my Voyager. It does all the things that my 05 Nomad did, but better. Having said that it is a little more cramped between rider and passenger but that is the only complaint I have about it. Seeing as I ride solo 90% of the time it is hardly an issue.

It has cruise, a radio, a trunk, better wind protection, is faster, has a longer range between fill ups and handles better than a Nomad, at all speeds.

I enjoyed my Nomad but enjoy the Voyager more.

When I sell the Voyager it will be because it is probably my last bike. There is nothing out there right now that I would prefer to own.

Last edited by redjay; 08-25-2013 at 09:01 AM.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerwillis View Post
I have had two Nomads and believe they are some of the best bikes on the road. I went into a Harley Dealer Ship the other day and got the bug. In your opinion what are the pros and cons of Nomad vs Harley. Rather learn from those who have been there than make a pricey mistake.

You ask this question on a Kawasaki dedicated web site?

FYI, it's dealership not Dealer Ship. As far as I know Harley does not own any ships.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #192

I was thrilled with my 1500 Nomad, but the POG concern and the "impovements" on the 1600 caused me to "trade up." I wanted very badly to like the 1700's but couldn't.

The Vaq is beautiful and would have been my next choice but I had already made those changes to my 1600 (fairing, solo look, etc...) and wanted a touring bike. I looked at the Voyager one last time before deciding on the Victory.

Never had any issues with the Kaw's, but agree with the thoughts of others here that they don't seem to be responding to what the loyal riders want. Too many of us spent alot of time and money on aftermarket items as the factory offering were too few.

Will always have fond memories of all the years and miles on my Nomads, but there are some very good options out there, and sadly many are leaving the flock. Hope you are paying attention MaKaw!
VBA #931R
VROC #16379R

Old 08-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #193
Top Contributor

Jasperboy.
You stated "Too many of us spent alot of time and money on aftermarket items as the factory offering were too few".

What does the Voyager not have that the majority of Nomad owners put on their bikes ?

The Voyager has a trunk, 12 volt outlet, a radio, spotlights, all standard equipment.
It also has cruise. They did not get it completely right but they listened.

A few subtle changes and it could be what Nomad owners are looking for.
More space between rider and passenger and for the purists, side opening bags and a stronger trunk.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #194

I would like to have a street glide but just can't justify that kind of money. I like my Nomad a lot and will probably keep it until it dies. It has the power,looks and ride that I like.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #195

I have always wanted a street glide and demo'd one before I bought the Vaquero. I loved the looks but I didnt like the ride as much as I thought I would and in the end turned it down because I could have bought two vaqueros and plus the Vaq rode a lot better

VBA #02164