Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-09-2010, 05:14 AM   #16

Nomad 1700 vs Yamaha Stratoliner

you could add larger boards. highway pegs etc. I've never had my 05 nomad over 100mph and never will. It wasn't built for that kind of riding. I have never gotten under 40mpg on mine. I cruise on the highway at 70mph. if you're only getting in the 30's at best then 1. there's something wrong with your bike or 2. You're too heavy handed with the throttle. FIT: of course, I'm 5'8 and that can make a big difference in comfort. A bike that allows you to stretch out, at 6'3, is probably not going to fit me well . All things to consider when looking at a new bike.

vin

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-09-2010, 05:44 AM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to ken

I've run my 05 on the German Autobahn at 90+ for hours at a time and never have had any problems with it (knock on wood). I'm 5'10" and I find the Nomad very comfortable, especially with my drivers backrest installed. Highway pegs can make the ride more comfortable, for sure. unfortunately, I've never taken the time to calculate milege, even at almost $7.00 a gallon. I wanna ride, I gotta pay...simple. God, it's hot here.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:15 AM   #18

Note he is comparing the new 1700 Nomad to the Strat, not the 1500 or super roomy and awesome 1600. Obviously cramped for one person will be just right for a shorter person and I appreciate the comparison. I too would guess that the 1700 tested here was a factory dud if it had trouble getting up to 95 mph. I test rode a Yamaha Venture demo bike that could not get out of it's own way and a friend of mine just bought a new one that was a dog until he took it back to the dealer and got the carbs cleaned up and adjusted properly. All said, you can't really get around the shorter wheelbase and make the bike less cramped if it is not big enough for you. Riding a 1600 Nomad will spoil you if you like to streatch out and get comfy.

The bottom line is that your bike has to make YOU happy.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #19

Great review that I read with much interest. I seriously looked at the Stratoliner and Silverado, before I bought my first Nomad. I have been happy with my Nomad choice, but have to wonder what would have been.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:04 AM   #20

Nice review. Food for thought. No need to flame. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #21

A friend bought the Strat and really likes it. Mind you, he had to put a lot of money into adding all the extras that come standard on the 1700. When I first rode mine, I thought the riding position was a little more upright than my 900 LT but I think that is better for my back Just last night I was thinking how much I enjoy the riding position of this bike and how easy it is too ride. For the money, this was the best deal out there. At 5'11'' I fit just fine but have ordered highway pegs to try them out. No throttle problems, I can go as fast as the law allows, heat is not an issue, and I like to stop every 200 kms or so to stretch so gas milage is not a big issue, although I wish it was a little better. The Nomad is still the best value for a cruiser.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #22

Did someone flame ndsailer?

ndsailer's post count was 2 when he posted his "comparison". So I have to assume he joined this forum for the sole purpose of starting this thread. The way I read his post is he is simply saying he had a Nomad, but it wasn't good enough, so he bought a better bike. Which if he truly believes that, more power to him, but to join a Nomad forum to tell that to Nomad owners? Hmm.. Or maybe he just had an agenda..

Then his information is...umm...suspect. 28 mpg? 95 mph? Really? Or maybe they are truths for him, but since no one else's bikes performs as his did, one has to question. So is he dishonest, a crappy rider, or just got a lemon? No one but ndsailer can answer that.

I did point out some of the total BS he posted and replied with the performance info for my bike. Strange that our machines would perform at such different levels.

But what I absolutely would not do is thank ndsailer for joining this forum for the sole purpose of discrediting my bike thru questionable tactics and data. But like I said before, 'each to his own'.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #23

Gosh 'ndsailor', you must have gotten hold of the worst lemon Nomad Kawasaki has ever made, and hopefully the only one! Thank God I don't have any of the problems you associated with yours, and it's too bad you did. I do not have excessive heat (heat kit installed), I'm in no way cramped, in fact it's by far the most comfortable and has the best ergonomic seating position of any bike I've ever owned, and that includes the other four bikes I've owned; 2004 Suzuki Blvd, 2004 Big Dog Boxer, 2005 Nomad, 2006 Goldwing. I'm 5' 11" inches at 194#'s, and a 30" inseam. The throttle function is quick and crisp on mine, and with the power it exhibits in each gear, I believe mine would easily exceed 100 mph although I haven't tried; at 75 in sixth gear it will run past 85 in a heartbeat, but that's about as fast as I care to ride! Now that it's broken in I think I could run with the Goldwing. I have to agree that the gas mileage isn't the best on the planet, although I rode it 160 miles yesterday with half on the interstate and my overall mileage was about 37. Here's hoping you enjoy your Stratoliner and don't have any problems with it! :)

Old 07-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #24
Sr. Contributor

A few things. One, gas mileage is not only dependent on riding style. but the swill you put in it. In Iowa, they put Ethanol in the gas and I never get over 37-38 MPG. When I went to Custer last year and PDC this year, the non-ethanol fuel gets me 41-44. That difference in mileage tells me Iowa probably puts more than 10% ethanol in, but that is my opinion. Two, the new nomad has a throttle by wire. It's very possible something is screwed up with it (and or the computer) and that is causing bad mileage, surging and poor top end. I think you needed to take it to another dealer. Three, as far as fixing deficiencies, I wish someone made a bike where there were none...Unfortunately that isn't true because of our individual differences. For instance, most people love the Mustang seats, but it only gives me another half hour before my a$$ is killing me. If I could fix that one thing, I would be a happy man. It's intolerable.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 07-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #25

Tombstone you actually make a good point here that I didn't catch. If ndseller has moved on to another bike, then his post is mostly inflammatory and of no purpose for this forum. I too have not had the issues he writes about. I have had great experience with fellow forum members who ride the 1700 and so willingly share tech and accessory advice. To me honest dialogue and sharing of information makes this a great board.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:08 AM   #26

When I was looking to move from my Warrior to a bagger, I really wanted the Stratoliner since it was very similar technology and build. After I rode it, I came to the conclusion it is the bike from Yamaha that "coulda been". It pulls hard like my Warrior did, actually, harder. The Warrior was 102 and the Strat a 113. This was awesome, and the reason I didn't buy it. I wanted a touring bike, not a 1/4 mile burner. I looked at the tank which is small compared to the Nomad's. The Strat is a lot more of a "performer". If your concerned about pulling up to a CVO Harley and dusting it, buy the Strat. It really needs to be geared differently and have a six, a larger tank, completely different bars, bigger boards, bigger bags and better windshield. To truly be considered a "tourer". I personally think Star should drop the Royal Star line and drop that 113 in a real full-dresser that is appropriately geared for touring. Oh and they need to keep the price lower. I'm sure there are deals to be had, but Star's MSRP's have been creeping up. I'm not sure there paint and fit and finish are at the level where they can start charging those prices.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #27
Advanced Member

No biggie; we all like different things and different bikes.
I almost went with the Road Star Silverado instead of the Nomad. I am glad we rode them both. For us, the Nomad was the best buy.
Isn't the Stratoliner a 1900cc engine? The 1600 in the Nomad is enough for me.
1965 Pontiac GTO, 389 4 Speed. Bluemist Slate
Cruising the back roads, that is living!
Member #000033.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombstone
Did someone flame ndsailer?

ndsailer's post count was 2 when he posted his "comparison". So I have to assume he joined this forum for the sole purpose of starting this thread. The way I read his post is he is simply saying he had a Nomad, but it wasn't good enough, so he bought a better bike. Which if he truly believes that, more power to him, but to join a Nomad forum to tell that to Nomad owners? Hmm.. Or maybe he just had an agenda..

Then his information is...umm...suspect. 28 mpg? 95 mph? Really? Or maybe they are truths for him, but since no one else's bikes performs as his did, one has to question. So is he dishonest, a crappy rider, or just got a lemon? No one but ndsailer can answer that.

I did point out some of the total BS he posted and replied with the performance info for my bike. Strange that our machines would perform at such different levels.

But what I absolutely would not do is thank ndsailer for joining this forum for the sole purpose of discrediting my bike thru questionable tactics and data. But like I said before, 'each to his own'.
I appologize if I offended anyone with my post. I do not lie and I did not join KAWANOW just to post this message, I was a former member for a number of years and just rejoined this past summer. I am back on a 2010 Nomad and this one runs MUCH better, plus, Kawa just sent out recalls for all of the 1700s to replace the ECU, which my dealer did on my 2009 Nomad. I HAD A LEMON....a SOUR lemon...because the 2010 Nomad I have now runs much better, not in the performance class of the Stratoliner, but that's not what the Nomad is set up for. I have gone through three new motorcycles in one year searching for a bike that performs satifactorally and provides touring comfort for my wife and myself and the 1700 Nomad is the best choice...if it runs right. There are always tradeoffs though...there is no perfect bike. NOW the Vaquero is here with the looks I loved on my midnight Stratoliner....Hmmmm...fourth bike in 2 years????

Old 11-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #29
Top Contributor

Honest reviews are always helpful, good or bad. Good you came back to update. How are you coping with the cramped (as you originally described it) ergonomics of the 1700 ?

Old 11-05-2010, 02:28 PM   #30

I added highway pegs to the engine guards but had to add a backrest too so my back doesn't get tired when putting my feet up. I also added the 1 1/4 inch handlebars from the 2010 Voyager model to my Nomad. The bars come back straighter rather than out to the sides as is standard on the Nomad.