Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #16

Well I'm just a newb, only came on a few months back when I started gettun interested in buying a Vulcan, which I did buy, and it is my first Kawa and 5th bike I've owned in my life (I'm 62 yrs old).

I've belonged to many and all types of forums over the years. I even remember back years ago before HTML sites took off, we had what was called NewsGroups. They have gone the way of legacy since they were more expensive to maintain and HTML forums took over. But they did have a more precise thread tracking ability.

There are always some disagreements, and folks who have extended egos, etc etc. It's unavoidable on this planet, forum or real life. But from what limited stuff I've seen on here you guys seem like a good bunch. And that includes Chris (Monkey Man), who also seems like a good guy. Of course all of you know each other better than you know me since from the number of posts I see by your names you've had more exposure.

But Chris and everyone else had the balls to say what they felt at the time. And that my friends is American and freedom and as far as I'm concerned what makes the world go round.

Just my 2-1/2 cents worth.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
RWB when this forum first started in 2007 it was just two handfuls of clowns with Nomads hanging out and having a hoot insulting each other in fun. As time went on we had our first National Rally in Custer and we all got to meet each other for the first time! There was not one disgruntled member. Everyone and I mean everyone I've met at the Rallys are my friends. Not one member came waiting to tear into me for my shenanigans! When I told them I was Blowndodge they just laughed at me!

Unfortunately over time the "sentimental" crowd joined in and our fearless leader was bombarded with emails about the nature of our camaraderie, complained excessively and we had to morph into a bunch of members vying to play a part in Brokeback Mountain.

Times have changed..

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 12-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W_B View Post
Well I'm just a newb, only came on a few months back when I started gettun interested in buying a Vulcan, which I did buy, and it is my first Kawa and 5th bike I've owned in my life (I'm 62 yrs old).

I've belonged to many and all types of forums over the years. I even remember back years ago before HTML sites took off, we had what was called NewsGroups. They have gone the way of legacy since they were more expensive to maintain and HTML forums took over. But they did have a more precise thread tracking ability.

There are always some disagreements, and folks who have extended egos, etc etc. It's unavoidable on this planet, forum or real life. But from what limited stuff I've seen on here you guys seem like a good bunch. And that includes Chris (Monkey Man), who also seems like a good guy. Of course all of you know each other better than you know me since from the number of posts I see by your names you've had more exposure.

But Chris and everyone else had the balls to say what they felt at the time. And that my friends is American and freedom and as far as I'm concerned what makes the world go round.

Just my 2-1/2 cents worth.
Hey there R W B ....first I want to say welcome to the VBA and that I haven't taken anything you've said as criticism of me.

I'm not quite the same age as you, but I'm knocking on the same door, if you know what I mean. I've also been around computers since the days of DOS and newsgroups etc.. I remember getting my first computer and having most people ask me "what are you going to do with a computer man?" Glad we have moved up from there.

I think you're right about "There are always some disagreements, and folks who have extended egos,......" and I hope I conveyed that to Chris. I didn't mean to say that his point was invalid or untrue. Just so I'm clear, I was only saying that I had never seen the abuse happen as long as I've been connected with KawaNOW/VBA. That is the main reason I'm still here.
I too think that there are a great bunch of guys and gals here and having met a few of them in person, they have all proven to be nice/good people.

I appreciate that Chris is able to voice his feelings and how he sees things too and I take my hat off to him and anyone else that stands up to be counted. I really hope that this kind'a shit Chris refers to stops and that things really do get better for him here at VBA. I wouldn't hesitate to note the "members" who he's finding to be an issue and ask the "Admin people" to step in. Everyone should be able to come here and ask the questions they need answered and to comment on posts without fear and apprehension. Having said that though I think we need to put on our thicker skin when we log in and have some fun and expect some kidding from the characters we are. I might be one of the sentimental crowd that "dickhead"....oopps! I mean Brad is talking about, { maybe he means sensitive crowd } but I can dish it out and take it as well as the next guy..... and have fun doing it. I consider everyone I've ever met at the rally's my friends also. Brad was one of the first ones to bust my chops online and then shake my hand at the Custer rally. As far as "dickheads" go, he's one of the best.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Last edited by rickyboy; 12-08-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #19
Top Contributor

Having fun is one thing but insulting people is not what this forum is about.
This post was not directed at any one person in particular.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I have seen it happen on this forum and no it isn't funny or goodnatured ribbing.
V&H pro pipe
FI2000
custom intake
work in progress

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
RWB when this forum first started in 2007 it was just two handfuls of clowns with Nomads hanging out and having a hoot insulting each other in fun. As time went on we had our first National Rally in Custer and we all got to meet each other for the first time! There was not one disgruntled member. Everyone and I mean everyone I've met at the Rallys are my friends. Not one member came waiting to tear into me for my shenanigans! When I told them I was Blowndodge they just laughed at me!

Unfortunately over time the "sentimental" crowd joined in and our fearless leader was bombarded with emails about the nature of our camaraderie, complained excessively and we had to morph into a bunch of members vying to play a part in Brokeback Mountain.

Times have changed..
I hope someday to attend one of those rallys, I have my own specific set of problems which doesn't allow such at least for now. One we have a pet that is hostile to anyone but us, so we can't board him. I love pets but I told my wife when this one dies, I don't want anymore, I want to be pet free in my last years. But with my luck he will outlive me.

Additionally my wife has Multiple Scelerosis for some yrs now and her health (strength endurance etc) has a tendency to come and go at it's will. She still rides with me and never complains but sometimes she does have trouble holding up. I still attend some rides without her, but have not as yet taken off to leave her for more than a day.

And currently my damn left knee has gone bad on me and locks up in the bent position if I turn it the wrong way. I have an appointment in January at the Veterans Hospital for an MRI. When it goes out I can't ride (or even walk without crutches) for a week or more. The Doc says he thinks I have a torn Meniscus, whatever the hell that is.

But I'm keeping my head up, and I ain't lookun for no sympathy, we do pretty damn good for a couple of retired working stiffs. I am just trying to explain why I currently have limitations on when and how far I can travel. Since my knee issue I've had to cut out most all my Patriot Guard Rides.

But sometimes when I get bored I love to come on here and browse thru you guys gallery of pics and I can dream of all those rides I see out west with beautiful scenary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboy View Post
Hey there R W B ....first I want to say welcome to the VBA and that I haven't taken anything you've said as criticism of me.

I'm not quite the same age as you, but I'm knocking on the same door, if you know what I mean. I've also been around computers since the days of DOS and newsgroups etc.. I remember getting my first computer and having most people ask me "what are you going to do with a computer man?" Glad we have moved up from there.

I think you're right about "There are always some disagreements, and folks who have extended egos,......" and I hope I conveyed that to Chris. I didn't mean to say that his point was invalid or untrue. Just so I'm clear, I was only saying that I had never seen the abuse happen as long as I've been connected with KawaNOW/VBA. That is the main reason I'm still here.
I too think that there are a great bunch of guys and gals here and having met a few of them in person, they have all proven to be nice/good people.
. . . . . . . . . . .
Thanks for the input, and you are correct I wasn't criticizing anyone. I haven't been on long enough to have seen anything I could criticize anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Insults are counter productive, I always try to be forgiving enough to not take a possible insult as one. I do this because over the years I have been made aware of times that others thought I had insulted them. And that bothered me that I had no idea that I had done so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyers View Post
I have seen it happen on this forum and no it isn't funny or goodnatured ribbing.
I'm been on Harley forums and Metric forums, it does happen. After awhile we may know some we like less than others, but keep this in mind, I've met quite a few folks in person from other forums, and you don't really get to know someone "just" on the forum. It's a lot different when you meet them in person. And even then it may take several meets to actually get to know someone. Not discounting the forum experience, it's great, but it is what it is.

Anyhow nice of you guys to respond to a newb nobody like me. I will keep surfing around and enjoying your posts and pic galleries. Later......

Old 12-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #22

OK, therapy time is over!
Group hug, everyone!
'cept blowndodge of course ...

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 12-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #23
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
Group hug, everyone!
LMAO

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 12-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
Group hug, everyone!
LMAO too! However I don't know any of ya good enough for a group hug yet LOL. For all I know ya might have learned a few things in prison in the hugging department LOL.

Now as for blowndodge, truth for me is back in 1969 before I went into the Army (if you remember there was a little war going on called Viet Nam, and Uncle Sam called the number on a few of us). I had a 442 Oldsmobile Cutlass.

I ran that thing at Oldsmar drag strip (north of Tampa) in E stock class. We were allowed to run headers and 7" cheater slicks (had some treads), but everything else was stock. I beat GTO's, Chevelles (the 325 hp models) every single time I run them. But the Dodge GTX 440 Magnums kept me from getting a trophy ever single time. I could even take the Dodges out of the lights a length, but they always would catch me right before the traps.

Damn them Dodges. But they sure kicked my ass back then.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #25
Top Contributor

Quote:
LMAO too! However I don't know any of ya good enough for a group hug yet LOL. For all I know ya might have learned a few things in prison in the hugging department LOL.

Now as for blowndodge, truth for me is back in 1969 before I went into the Army (if you remember there was a little war going on called Viet Nam, and Uncle Sam called the number on a few of us). I had a 442 Oldsmobile Cutlass.

I ran that thing at Oldsmar drag strip (north of Tampa) in E stock class. We were allowed to run headers and 7" cheater slicks (had some treads), but everything else was stock. I beat GTO's, Chevelles (the 325 hp models) every single time I run them. But the Dodge GTX 440 Magnums kept me from getting a trophy ever single time. I could even take the Dodges out of the lights a length, but they always would catch me right before the traps.

Damn them Dodges. But they sure kicked my ass back then.
Oh No !!!! now you've gone and poked the sleeping giant. I'm sure Brad/blowndodge" will have something to say about how great he is or how he won all the prizes at the "redwoods rally", and put me and others in their place, yada yada yada !!!! He's going to need to open both doors just to get his head in the room. ........

Now he'll probably suggest that the head at the top of his shoulders isn't the only head he can fit in here....or something stupid like that.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 12-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #26

You know, from time to time one person will do something that offends or steps on the feelings of another person and yet the first person is completely oblivious of the negative impact they have had on the second.
Perhaps in a one to one email or similar form of contact the ofended party could comunicate directly to the one that did the ofending. You might be surprised how quickly the ofender might explain their intent and apologize for their unintended negative impact.
From time to time I've said or done things that offended another. I've been most grateful when they took the time to let me fix that. So perhaps we can all consider that if we have a complaint about someone, we might actually take that concern to the person and see if it can be resolved. Sometimes maybe not but most time I think all would be happierafter it was hanled that way?
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 12-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #27

This is a great forum w a great bunch of people. I was very happy that I took a chance and went to the Antlers rally(my first) as I had the pleasure of meeting some damn fine people. I plan on making as many rallies as possible. No place is perfect but if the group I met at Antlers is any indication, there's a lot of quality people here.
VBA #02113
Antlers, Oklahoma '12
Blairsville, Georgia '13
Antlers, Oklahoma '13
Eureka Springs, Arkansas '15

Old 12-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #28
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
LMAO too! However I don't know any of ya good enough for a group hug yet LOL. For all I know ya might have learned a few things in prison in the hugging department LOL
Henceforth my Brokeback Mountain remark! Now you get it RWB. Too much hugging and reach around going on with the sentimental crowd for me!

My hats off to you buddy. Sounds like you have your priorities right. I would be having as much fun with the lady as well. Good on ya..

I'm troubled that some think they are "outcasts" or not welcome inside some "click" group. Chris doesn't realize that I am the butt end of many jokes within KawaNow/Vulcan Bagger. Apparently I make some laugh with my goofy ways, even if it's at my expense it's ok. It's always ok with me.

I expect all the guys here to wear the "big boy shoes." One can't be a biker or motorcycle rider and have easily hurt feelings.

We don't use words like "loser" "worthless" "nerd". Incidentally that is Ricky's legal first, middle and last name anyways!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 12-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
I found there are small cliques of Vulcanadarie here. There are a couple different groups who, for their own reasons, feel they're better than everyone else and make sure other, "lesser" riders know by threatening them or constantly cutting them down then there are the guys who try to help you even if you ask the same question over and over. So...you go nice guys and you got dickheads.
Is this about some of the humor in your post about the Victory topping the Nomad?
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Henceforth my Brokeback Mountain remark! Now you get it RWB. Too much hugging and reach around going on with the sentimental crowd for me!

My hats off to you buddy. Sounds like you have your priorities right. I would be having as much fun with the lady as well. Good on ya..

I'm troubled that some think they are "outcasts" or not welcome inside some "click" group. Chris doesn't realize that I am the butt end of many jokes within KawaNow/Vulcan Bagger. Apparently I make some laugh with my goofy ways, even if it's at my expense it's ok. It's always ok with me.

I expect all the guys here to wear the "big boy shoes." One can't be a biker or motorcycle rider and have easily hurt feelings.

We don't use words like "loser" "worthless" "nerd". Incidentally that is Ricky's legal first, middle and last name anyways!
FYI...if someone asks you to play the brokeback game either opt out or play the pitcher position
VBA #02113
Antlers, Oklahoma '12
Blairsville, Georgia '13
Antlers, Oklahoma '13
Eureka Springs, Arkansas '15