Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #16

What's Your Claim To Fame???

Well about as close as I can get to fame was in February 1976, I was in Baptist Memorial Hospital in Memphis TN. For about 2 weeks on the 14th floor (19 yr. old) and during my stay there Elvis Presley occupied the whole 19th floor for about 2-3 days. The nurses would come in and say "Elvis is on the 19th floor", ooooohhh. I didn't bother cause I figure security was tight and I could hardly get around anyway....
VBA #146

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-12-2008, 06:26 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

My Mom is a Saint. It's true. When the family always gets together they tell stories of each others mis-deeds growing up. Some funny stuff. One day we realized that none of the stories included my Mom although she had LOTS of stories of other family members. We wracked our brains trying to remember some dirt on dear old Mom. Nothing, nada, zip. All we could come with was how much we all enjoyed it on days when she baked and how much she helps other people and never complains about a thing. So, we dubbed her "Saint Flo".
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 01-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #18
Top Contributor

We are pretty sure that my dads uncle was James Carroll who shot a cop in Tamaqua and was hung in Jim thrope and was one of the molly maguires.
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Trip's claim to fame:
My Dad went to high school with Mike Nesmith of the Monkees.
Does he get free white-out?

Old 01-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #20
Top Contributor

I handle the disposition of about 12000 + or - wrecked cars every year. This is Nascar country from way back so I have a lot of contacts with folks involved in that from the old days.

About 3-4 years ago I get a call from a guy who says I was referred to him. Said he was shooting a movie about racing around the Charlotte NC area and needed some regular looking vehicles to sit around on streets, driveways, etc for filming. So I ended up "leasing" him some cars for a couple weeks. He said the movie was called "High, Wide, and Handsome" and invited me to come down and see some filming.

The title changed before it came out....you know it as "Talladega Nights - The Ballad of Ricky Bobby". "my" cars are in the movie in several places but mostly in the scene where he drives down the street blindfolded....the funny part is that the sides of the cars that you can not see in the movie are wrecked all to hell.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

One of my childhood close friends is the CEO of Hilton...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 01-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #22
Top Contributor

Paris isn't the CEO stupid!!!!

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC

Old 01-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #23

We don't see too many stars here in Tennessee, most of the time it's pretty cloudy.
However I have a friend I've never met that recorded this song. I played the mandolin track for him.
If it ever hits, then maybe I'll have a claim to fame.
" scroll down to Goin' home"
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=262187143

Shep

Old 01-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #24
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

No Sh*t Sherlock! Paris is in France!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 01-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #25
Top Contributor

Quote:
No Sh*t Sherlock! Paris is in France!!
+1

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC

Old 01-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #26
VBA Founder

Quote:
[quote:qsxt2vdr]
Trip's claim to fame:
My Dad went to high school with Mike Nesmith of the Monkees.
Does he get free white-out? [/quote:qsxt2vdr]

Nesmith is too cheap to supply any.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 01-12-2008, 10:02 PM   #27

My claim to fame was back in 1967 i was on a local kids show called Admiral Fog Horn. And on your birthday you could stand with the admiral and ring a bell when he called your name. The last kid in line got to ring the bell for the kids who couldnt make it there. I got into a fight with a kid on who was going to be last in line. The other kid won. To this day i still have a hard time talking about it so please no one tell any one.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #28

This sort of fits in, at lease equally lame - A first-cousin that I grew up with was a major league pitcher (drafted by the Mets, spent most his career with the Cardinals and finished with San Diego) for enough years in the 1970s make ML full-retirement. Then there was the time that a buddy and I, errr... "met" Mary Hopkins (semi-famous English folk singer with the one hit, "Those Were the Days My Friends" in about 1970 -- 50-60 age bracketers might recall), and her sister one night in a Bahamas Bar (spent the entire evening dancing and talking but that was it.) Okay, I said it was lame...

Old 01-12-2008, 11:40 PM   #29
Mega-Contributor

My only real claim to fame is I sacked former Chicago Bears QB Jim McMahon in a high school football game. It was in 1976, he played for Roy High School (Roy, UT) I was a middle linebacker for Skyline High School (Salt Lake City). We were playing in a state semifinal game and we beat Roy 45-17. We went on to take state that year. That was a pretty good year... Of course, he went on to win the Super Bowl, so I guess 1985 was better for him than it was for me.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-12-2008, 11:56 PM   #30
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
My best friend (who passed away back in 2000) knocked Matthew McCounaughey out cold in the Howards parking lot in Kilgore, Tx, the summer of 1988. I don't remember how it started, but we were all riding around in different vehicles, drinking beer, and being general teenage nuisances.

We finally got Matt and his friends to pull over in the Howards parking lot so we could all throw down (or "chunk" as we called it then). There was already bad blood between Roy (my friend) & Matt, but I don't recall now what it was all about. Matt was being his usual arrogant self, smacking this gum in a really annoying way. Anyway, Roy sez, "Quit smacking that gum, or I'm going to slap the sh*t out of your mouth." Matt keeps smacking, and turns and smiles at his friends. All of a sudden WHAM! Roy caught him with a crushing right hook, and Matt hit the ground. There was this silence that fell, and the next few seconds seemed to stretch out. Bong (another friend) just sighs, and takes his glasses off and sets them on the top of our car. One of Matt's friends (don't remember his name) sees Bong do this and says, "Hey! Put your glasses back on!" It seemed Matt's friend lacked a certain something, uh, I don't know...NUTS, maybe?

Anyway, long story short, the seconds stop stretching out, Matt realized he's on the ground and leaps up. He lets out this elephant-like roar that I remember to this day, and starts to charge Roy when his friends grab him and drag his ass back to their truck, and take off.

I can't stand him as an actor, so I tell this story a lot.
Too bad your friend is no longer with us. I'd buy him a beer for doing that - hell, I'd buy him two. I used to work with a guy who grew up in New Jersey and went to high school with .......Jon Bon Jovi. He told me his friend beat the crap out of JBJ in the lunchroom one day. I'd buy him a drink, too if given the chance.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17