Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #16

I went to the DarkSide today.

mabe i missed it! witch darkside tire are all of you sugesting for the nomad? I just installed a new set of Avon Cobras on my bike, so far they are great, seen to handle better, and the are very quit, now i hear sounds that i did not hear b 4 couse of the tire noise from the standered stones that came with the ride! Now i will see if they last longer than the 11,500 miles that the stones lasted.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #17

oh i forgot to ask what size tire?

Old 06-22-2009, 09:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaiahsdad
I have questions that I am just to lazy to search for. How does the tire handle in the rain? How strong is the side wall and have there been any issues with going to the dark side (other than troubles finding a patch). I just called and I can get the tire for $145 and probably a stupid question, is there any kind of tire guarantee on milage like there is on cars? It is hard to resist the dark side.... must....resist....must....resist.....
Don (isaiahsdad), I'm not by any means trying to sound like a SMART A. at all on this matter but, I have a FalkenZiex512 205/65-16 on my 07 1600, and as far as handling in the rain with a MT you have a contact patch (this is the amount of the tire that is touching the road) of about 2inches wide and about 4inches long, with a CT (depending on size) you have a contact patch of about 6-8inches wide with the same 6-8inches long, so I not an expert or (EX-SPERT) EX meaning Former SPERT meaning Has-Been, (HAHA) But I would think the more of the tire you have on the road at any given time the better the traction. As far as a warranty you pretty much leave that on the counter when you purchase that CT because it is not designed for a motorcycle (I have seen some of the guys on the MCDarksidersForum who have said they have got as much as 40k on theirs? I like to ride mine too hard so I guess that will effect my mileage outcome). Now back to handling, I can only speak from my own opinion (how it feels to me) riding thru curves, it will NEVER be a MT (it feels kinda like a MT that is a little low on air pressure) on a straight road it feels better than a MT because of the side walls are alot softer (don't get worried about the side walls being softer, a CT is designed to withstand the pressure of a 4000lbs car trying to force the bead of that CT off the edge of that rim, I don't think I will ever be able to put that much force on my rear tire on the bike) so the ride is a WHOLE LOT smoother. As far as issues, 1st I wouldn't recommend the 205, not because it doesn't fit, because there are many Nomads out there with that size on them, but because in my own opinion the tire is just too close to the drive tube (mine has not even so much as made a scuff mark on the tire) but you can barely see between them, 2nd the only reason I probably made the decision to go with this size was I thought wider is better! Not always the case I've seen the 195's they are plenty wide. Next you can find a CT ALOT cheaper than that, I got mine off E-Bay with free shipping for about $75. Shop around but be aware of the date codes when you purchase something on-line. Hope this helps Don! [GOOSE]
2003 Bandit 1200
CMA GateKeepers, Southern Cruisers#034, Patriot Guard Rider

Old 06-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #19
Advanced Member

As a darkside rider, i will NOT suggest to anyone going to the darkside or what tire to use. as i have said before, become informed, do your research, and make a educated decision. you can see what riders are using, what their results are, but i think you would be hard pressed to find anyone who is going to suggest one tire is better than another. personal bikes, personal choice. you can go to the darkside forums, and they have a data base of what others are using, on what bikes, riding styles etc.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #20

thanks, when my cobras start to get too near time to change i will study up on the issue!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-23-2009, 04:17 PM   #21

I went to the DarkSide Sunday with Achilles tire. so far, so good ..

Old 06-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #22

Goose, you da man, not only do you have the perfect hairdo, but your reply was well thought out and helps very much. I don't know why a few people her have criticized me for posting the question as I did. Maybe I should have phrazed the question differently but I guess the way I did phraze it, got under the skin of some people. People are telling me that whatever I do, do research! I am well aware of that, that is precisely the reason I asked the question here. I am going right to the source and asking the right question, to the people who could give me the informed answers. In my humble opinion, asking questions is part of the process of doing research. If you are a darkside rider, telling me what size brand or tire size is not going to wind you up in jail, or break one of the 10 commandments. By asking the questions, I am trying to "become informed, do your research, and make a educated decision". I don't want to go to a darkside forum and see what people are putting on there Harley, or there Goldwing. I went to a Nomad forum, and asked Nomad drivers specific questions. Not to tough of a question. "but i think you would be hard pressed to find anyone who is going to suggest one tire is better than another" is in my opinion a ridiculous statement. I would hope that if there is a tire out there that could possibly be dangerous to me, I would really hope that someone would point it out, transversely, I would also hope that if someone had a very good tire, that they would share that information. It is all part of the idea of being "fellow Nomadians" Thank you for those of you who gave me information about my questions, and again, thank you Goose.

Now, at the risk of being strung up by my Buster Browns, can anyone tell me the largest tire size I can put on my 99 Nomad on the rear, without rubbing shaft tube? I am looking at the Dunlop SP5000 as well. Thanks in advance.
Don

Old 06-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #23
Top Contributor

Quote:
. . . can anyone tell me the largest tire size I can put on my 99 Nomad on the rear, without rubbing shaft tube? I am looking at the Dunlop SP5000 as well. Thanks in advance.
Don
Don, I checked the database on this site:

http://darkside.nwff.info/database.php

I couldn't find an example of a 1500 Nomad but I did find one for a 1500 Classic. As far as I know the Classic and the Nomad use the identical swingarm, drive tube and rear wheel size.

The tire that has been used on the 1500 Classic is a 195/60-16.

This is also the most popular size used on the 1600 Nomads.

I understand that there is less distance between the drive tube and the right hand side of the swingarm on the 1500 than on the 1600. However, the 1500 has a 3.5" rim compared to a 4.5" rim for the 1600. Therefore, I suspect that when the sidewalls are pulled in to the narrower rim the section width of the tire respectively is pulled in also.

I would think that this would be the largest size that would fit on a 1500 Nomad.

Hopefully, someone on the forum has a 1500 with a car tire installed and can chip in some information.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 06-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #24
Advanced Member

isiahsdad, if i hav criticized you i am sorry. but at the same token had you gone to the darkside forum, and looked at the data base, you can see what other nomad riders are using. once again didnt mean to raise your hackles, and i really dont put down in type my intentions to well. i will give anyone as much info as i can, but i will continue to tell all who are interested in the darkside, to do the research and become informed. btw, i am using a sp5000 on my 07 nomad and hav no complaints.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:51 PM   #25

Quote:
raise your hackles
Thats funny. 195/60-16 is what I have heard. I am getting a lot of info now and I thank all who gave me all this information. The darkside looms overhead, and could actually be turning later this week.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:21 PM   #26

Another stupid question. I have read a lot of people having problems with auto tire shops not wanting to put a car tire on a bike rim, and the same with bike shops not wanting to do it. I mounted my Stone myself 2 years ago with no problem. Am I going to find mounting this Dunlop just as easy??

Old 06-24-2009, 11:27 PM   #27

Very few bike shops will mount a car tire either. It is a liability thing it seems, and lack of knowledge at a lot of them.

I did my Dunlop SP 5000 and it was work, a lot of work, but it did go on. The wider tire on the narrower rim makes it a challenge. On the 1500 rim, it is a lot narrower, so that may cause you some headaches compared to the 1600 I did.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 06-24-2009, 11:59 PM   #28

Guess you didn't like my answer? :)
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 06-25-2009, 02:37 AM   #29

Oh dude, I guess I had posted my question just after you because it wasn't up when I started. Your answer was what I was looking for. I was doing all the typing on my cell phone and that takes a while.

Did you have a bead breaker when you did it? What gave you the most problem? I have a bead breaker and am going to get some good size tire tools to help me out.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Oh dude, I guess I had posted my question just after you because it wasn't up when I started. Your answer was what I was looking for. I was doing all the typing on my cell phone and that takes a while.

Did you have a bead breaker when you did it? What gave you the most problem? I have a bead breaker and am going to get some good size tire tools to help me out.
No problem, was funny that it was there twice....

I have the HF tire changer. It has a bead breaker that works great. I had the old tire off in no time, breaking the beads was maybe 5 minutes and then a few to remove the tire. I used the HF setup for the whole thing, nicked my rim in a couple spots though with it when installing the CT, but not noticeable so I can live with that. I am thinking that something like this thread may help get the tire on easier, there is a link a few posts in with pictures:

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/v...ic.php?t=10925

The width of the CT, plus the heavier tread make the tire a lot harder to get on. The first bead goes on no problem, but the second was a real pain, and compressing the tire with the straps I think may help a lot. I think you have a 3.5" rim too which will up the challenge a bit.

My tire seated at around 40 pounds, and used Dynabeads to balance. After it was on the rim it was easy.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
VBA #01021
VROC #29389