Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #16

Ultimate Baffles (Important) - Screens vs Pins

Do we need to own two sets of baffles, in case one gets damaged trying to get it out?

I am alittle nervous about how loud the bike will become with the ultimate baffle. I think the Vance and Hines baggers I installed this week are pretty loud. But the better the sound, loud can become music.

Thanks Jasperboy, Netnorske, dkdixie and any other Nomad riders that have worked and continue to work on this baffle issue.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-21-2009, 09:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
Perhaps having a smaller diameter hole in the baffle, would quiet them down just enough so that the screens are not required. The hole could always be opened up later if it doesn't make a difference.
Ring, good point.
When Cliff and I first discussed the diameter opening, we thought about 1/8" smaller and larger than stock. Decided to go with stock size thinking the V&H engineers must know something.

IMO smaller would produce a raspy sound like drag pipes. When I get the loaner pair back, would like to open the diameter in .125 increments and see what it does. The sound with no baffles is very low, but unbelievably loud. Plus you lose too much torque.

The screens definitely add back pressure, increase torque and quiet the sound down at cruising speed.

I wish I had the means and knowledge to play with a blank pair and try all these different possibilities.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 07-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmac
Do we need to own two sets of baffles, in case one gets damaged trying to get it out?

I am alittle nervous about how loud the bike will become with the ultimate baffle. I think the Vance and Hines baggers I installed this week are pretty loud. But the better the sound, loud can become music.

Thanks Jasperboy, Netnorske, dkdixie and any other Nomad riders that have worked and continue to work on this baffle issue.
Don't need two sets. You can get them in and out.

If you think stock baffles are too loud.....or loud enough, you don't want the Ultimates.
They are considerably louder at idle and low speed, but quiet down at cruising.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
(retired)

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 07-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #19
Advanced Member

I just put a set of these on my 06 v&h pipes man what a difference. Way quiter and a little more low end power and almost no more popping on decell. I ordered the on friday and had them monday great product. http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZVHPRO-M2.html

Old 07-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #20
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirello
I just put a set of these on my 06 v&h pipes man what a difference. Way quiter and a little more low end power and almost no more popping on decell. I ordered the on friday and had them monday great product. http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZVHPRO-M2.html
Seems like maybe you should have started a separate thread for these quiet baffles rather than post in a thread touting louder ones... . J/K....that's a good looking product....(if quiet baffles your thing).... ;).
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-21-2009, 08:36 PM   #21
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmac

Billmac,
I just recently (yesterday) changed my screens from the ones with the little square holes to the ones with the round holes (dkdixie has a pic). The round hole screens provide a little more surface area for the exhaust to pass through, thereby giving you more back-pressure and additional torque.

I also noticed a mellower sound at high-end speeds. What you will find with the UB's is that like dkdixie said, at idle and low speeds, they will be significantly louder than the stock V&H...but... they will sound SOOOO good you won't even care :)!

As you go through each successive gear, the sound mellows and by the time you are in 5th gear, you can't tell the difference between the stockers and the UB's.

As you decel to a stop light, you won't have all the cackling that you get with the stock V&H pipes. Those sound like the old Glas-Pacs of the '70's with all that fiberglass wrap around the baffles. After you come to a stop, you get to sit there at idle and sound like a bad-ass for a minute or two... !

What I really love is the sound the UB's make between shifts as you roll off the throttle and the exhaust dumps quickly. That sweet sound most closely can be identified with something you would hear on Pit Road...very throaty !!

As soon as you get the chance....get a pair of these things, but be forwarned... they are not for the meek or sensitive! If you love that HD potato-putt however....these are for you! JMHO

My personal set-up is a follows since they have morphed a bit since I first installed them:

1) Built per amended drawing (with the pin thru the main body, not the bevel) with the exception of a 1/4" flat spot lathed on the beveled side to accommodate the screens and screws.

2) Pins installed

3) Round hole screens installed

4) Sound.....Priceless !

VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 07-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #22
Top Contributor

Just wondering how you can hear all these subtle changes in sounds Net and nobody that has been trying the loaners or ones making them can give such detailed descrptions of going lower/higher with a hint of rumble like a harley. Just pondering bro. :-)

Old 07-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #23

Netnorske, you have got me anxious to try those UB's. For the right sound, I'll take loud.

I was shocked my wife approved of the Vance & Hines exhaust. She said they sounded better than the drilled stockers. And I thought I was going to have to pull rank on her over them.

I have warned her Kris, that the UB's will be even louder but sound better.

Billmac

Old 07-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #24
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc (Lonewolf)
Just wondering how you can hear all these subtle changes in sounds Net and nobody that has been trying the loaners or ones making them can give such detailed descrptions of going lower/higher with a hint of rumble like a harley. Just pondering bro. :-)
Doc,
When you ride all the time, which I do....you notice every little change....at least I do. As for the HD sound....well.....CJ wanted to give me a prize at Custer for having the bike that sounded most like a Harley... ;)....does that count... ?

Some of the guys trying the loaners might be running a high idle. You have to turn it down to about 850-900 to get that potato-putt sound...but it is definitely there. It's not exactly the same as an HD....but very, very similar... !
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Old 07-22-2009, 12:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske
Quote:
Doc,
When you ride all the time, which I do....you notice every little change....at least I do. As for the HD sound....well.....CJ wanted to give me a prize at Custer for having the bike that sounded most like a Harley... ;)....does that count... ?

Some of the guys trying the loaners might be running a high idle. You have to turn it down to about 850-900 to get that potato-putt sound...but it is definitely there. It's not exactly the same as an HD....but very, very similar... !
Good point about the idle Net! You need to wait a few minutes after start up to really get the "sound" your looking for. I was amazed at the cadence like rumble after riding for a few minutes, and then letting it idle warm. The signature "HD" sound is about 50-100 RPM's away from stalling, just enough to get the back cylinder to fire, pa.....tata, pa....tata, pa....tata....
VBA #931R
VROC #16379R

Old 07-22-2009, 07:06 AM   #26

And if your idle is "50-100"rpm's" from stalling its way too low!
You're not getting oil to the upper engine and stator isn't charging.

Need to be at least 850-900 rpm's......mininum.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
(retired)

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 07-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by "dk dixie"
And if your idle is "50-100"rpm's" from stalling its way too low!
You're not getting oil to the upper engine and stator isn't charging.

Need to be at least 850-900 rpm's......mininum.
Agreed, I just meant that to really get the HD sound you need to back down the idle to as low as possible. HD's always sound like they are about too stall out in my opinion.
VBA #931R
VROC #16379R

Old 07-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #28
Top Contributor

And if you run our bikes at spec(950rpm), that aint going to sound harley like. I have heard kris clips that idle is wayyyy lower. i can get my stock pipes to sound harley by going down to about 500rpm, but as you say no oil to the top. so Ultimate baffles at 950 might sound betetr but aint going to be low enough to get the potato sound IMO.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #29
Top Contributor

Quote:
And if you run our bikes at spec(950rpm), that aint going to sound harley like. I have heard kris clips that idle is wayyyy lower. i can get my stock pipes to sound harley by going down to about 500rpm, but as you say no oil to the top. so Ultimate baffles at 950 might sound betetr but aint going to be low enough to get the potato sound IMO.
Doc,
Whether you idle it down lower or not....these things sound awesome compared to anything else I have heard for the Nomad. I can't even begin to tell you how many heads have turned when people hear my bike.... ;)! They expect to see an HD....when they don't, they cock their head and look hard to see what it actually is...it's classic!

Sounds like Jasperboy has a good line on a production set....for $75 no less! Live large...try a set and see for yourself!
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Old 07-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #30
Top Contributor

My bike isn't a Harley, if I wanted it to sound just like a Harley. . .I would've bought a Harley.

That said, dk dixie's and VulcanE's bikes sound great! Now, if I had the bucks for the V & H pipes I would also get the Ultimate baffle.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009