Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-04-2007, 08:47 AM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Helmet

[quote author=socwkbiker board=general thread=1186158782 post=1186232004] ::) Suddenly I don't feel so well. Stomach getting queasy...ooohhh...not good.

LOL!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2007, 10:27 AM   #17

Helmet

have 3 - full modular flip, 3/4 with shield, half helmet - all by HJC. wear all three, depending on ride and weather; was wearing half most of the time until recently when a club member died of head trauma when he collided with another vehicle and helmet came off. needless to say that got me to thinking so i switched to 3/4 and wouldn't you know it the next week i went down and skidded a few feet; 3/4 was damaged, but my head came through without a scratch. brains may be a bit scrambled but i suspect that happened many years prior to this accident. from now on 3/4 will be used on most rides, except very cold and/or rainy days. will miss half cause i do enjoy the freedom - but i like my head more. to each his own.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:31 AM   #18

Helmet

Smart move Dip.

Old 08-04-2007, 03:55 PM   #19
Top Contributor

Helmet

I wear an NexL Sports beanie(half) which cost about $200. the testimonials and pics I have seen on hundreds of wrecks proved to me this is one TOUGH helmet. They are hard to find, order and wait a long time but worth it. No soft padding just mold to your head. For cold weather I own a 3/4 Shoei no face mask for me and wife has same. Here in TX its the beanie about 8-9 mo a year. of course a few days of do-wrags too.

Happy Riding

Doc

Old 08-04-2007, 04:48 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Helmet

I just picked up a 3/4 JHC today. Rode home with it on. Pretty nice but my beautiful face in now exposed!! I'll need to be careful I guess!!!!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #21

Helmet

Having seen the traumatic effects of bike wrecks from working accident scenes I always wear a lid. In my ATV days I had a full face but since we are a subdivision of Hades I was always wringin wet. I wear an HJC half and it isnt too bad most days. I like the removable liner so when I do sweat it up I can take it out and wash it and have essentially a new helmet all over again. I plan on picking up a 3/4 flip-up before our 45 minutes of winter arrives after the first of the year. I will have to start contacting manufacturers to see if anyone even makes a kevlar jacket in a Gi-mongous, because nobody here carries one that will fit. If I can find a mfr that makes them, it will likely cause a worldwide shortage of kevlar.
I'm in enough trouble with PETA over my vest purchase, but I'll probably end up in leather for the winter as well; but that would be too hot for summer riding on the face of the sun.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #22

Helmet

Living in Wisconsin I wear a full-face helmet whenever I ride. I'm thinking about a 3/4 when I pick-up the Nomad.

I would say this when it comes to helmets. Buy one that fits right, is a minimum of DOT certified, is comfortable, and that you will wear. A full-face helmet on the book shelf is less useful than a 1/2 helmet on your head. Just wear a helmet. As so many of us learn when we least expect it, our helmet may be the reason we live to have these sorts of discussions.

I have a friend who is an accident scene reconstruction expert who has investigated motorcycle accidents where the motorcycle was not even moving forward. From a standing stop a rider falls over, hits their head and dies from the momentum of head hitting the ground.

Please wear a helmet, for your own safety and the benefit of those that love you.

Regards and God Bless,

Stewart
VBA #60
2009 Vulcan Nomad 1700 - Black

Old 08-04-2007, 09:35 PM   #23
Top Contributor

Helmet

lw, have you tried leatherup.com? They have a lot of jackets with protection and I think they even have gimongous. And tell PETA to get over it. I had that beef for dinner tonight so

Quote:
Having seen the traumatic effects of bike wrecks from working accident scenes I always wear a lid. In my ATV days I had a full face but since we are a subdivision of Hades I was always wringin wet. I wear an HJC half and it isnt too bad most days. I like the removable liner so when I do sweat it up I can take it out and wash it and have essentially a new helmet all over again. I plan on picking up a 3/4 flip-up before our 45 minutes of winter arrives after the first of the year. I will have to start contacting manufacturers to see if anyone even makes a kevlar jacket in a Gi-mongous, because nobody here carries one that will fit. If I can find a mfr that makes them, it will likely cause a worldwide shortage of kevlar.
I'm in enough trouble with PETA over my vest purchase, but I'll probably end up in leather for the winter as well; but that would be too hot for summer riding on the face of the sun.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 08-04-2007, 09:38 PM   #24
Top Contributor

Helmet

Doc, I decided to look that lid up and found a place that's supposed to sell them near me. Do they run small or a bit big. I have a big ol bald noggin no I gotta get big sizes.

Quote:
I wear an NexL Sports beanie(half) which cost about $200. the testimonials and pics I have seen on hundreds of wrecks proved to me this is one TOUGH helmet. They are hard to find, order and wait a long time but worth it. No soft padding just mold to your head. For cold weather I own a 3/4 Shoei no face mask for me and wife has same. Here in TX its the beanie about 8-9 mo a year. of course a few days of do-wrags too.

Happy Riding

Doc
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss

Todd and BD

Old 08-04-2007, 10:05 PM   #25

Helmet

[quote author=socwkbiker board=general thread=1186158782 post=1186281333]lw, have you tried leatherup.com? They have a lot of jackets with protection and I think they even have gimongous. And tell PETA to get over it. I had that beef for dinner tonight so

Thanks for the heads up socwkbiker. Does Leatherup do the kevlar mesh jackets? I have found leather locally, but not the mesh, which would be better suited for the sauna-like Houston sumers.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:08 PM   #26
Top Contributor

Helmet

They do have kevlar mesh jackets. I actually bought one recently with all sorts of armor, thinsulate liner, very comfortable and functional for $79. I saw similar in the stores for $150-$200. That one ran small but they have a lot of jackets.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss

Todd and BD

Old 08-04-2007, 10:18 PM   #27

Helmet

OK, Thanks again. I tried Cincinnati Tent & Awning, but they were backlogged I'll look em up and see what they have to offer. Friend of mine forwarded a road rash story this week that made my skin crawl (pardon the pun).

Old 08-05-2007, 03:04 PM   #28
Sr. Contributor

Helmet

Or as someone once said, if god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them taste like meat.

Quote:
lw, have you tried leatherup.com? They have a lot of jackets with protection and I think they even have gimongous. And tell PETA to get over it. I had that beef for dinner tonight so

[quote:c3udje3a]Having seen the traumatic effects of bike wrecks from working accident scenes I always wear a lid. In my ATV days I had a full face but since we are a subdivision of Hades I was always wringin wet. I wear an HJC half and it isnt too bad most days. I like the removable liner so when I do sweat it up I can take it out and wash it and have essentially a new helmet all over again. I plan on picking up a 3/4 flip-up before our 45 minutes of winter arrives after the first of the year. I will have to start contacting manufacturers to see if anyone even makes a kevlar jacket in a Gi-mongous, because nobody here carries one that will fit. If I can find a mfr that makes them, it will likely cause a worldwide shortage of kevlar.
[/quote:c3udje3a]
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 08-06-2007, 10:04 AM   #29

Helmet

[quote author=ponch board=general thread=1186158782 post=1186344256]Or as someone once said, if god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them taste like meat.

Or as the T-shirt proclaims: "All God's creatures have their place. . . right next to the mashed potatoes"

Old 08-06-2007, 10:07 AM   #30
Sr. Contributor

Helmet

I will plagiarize these "eating animals" statement today!!!!

Member # 0005