Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #16

Should All Bikers Carry A Weapon ?

Besides weapons, what other precautions do you take. Anybody have an alarm system on their bike ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #17

Normally I do not go to places where I feel the need to carry a weapon, and particularly not when I have a passenger with me.

But I used to go to some pretty low dives like The Bomb Shelter and The Moon Dog. They were the kind of places where people would screw with your bike if you didn't keep an eye on it, and they'd screw with you too if they though they could get away with it. I carried all the time in those days. Knives, zip guns, lead saps. At least a belt knife and a boot knife all the time. I don't do that sh!t any more.

That was over 30 years ago, but if things get worse I may start up again.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewindgy
Good luck with that here in Canuck Land! Here the criminals have all of the rights and the honest people just have to shut the ___K up and grin an bear it!
I just don't ride down town where the Rubies and Bum's hang out! It just isn't worth having some goon knock you off you scooter and mug you! We got's problems with gangs of youth's swarming people on the streets at night and now even right out in the open! Thye don't care because here in Bleeding Heart Canada the youth can't be prosicuted and their names can't be given out because they are all special!
I've always thought our Canadian neighbors were more courteous and polite than their American counterparts. Maybe that just means the Canucks say "thank you" as they take your wallet, watch and cellphone.
rewindgy is right on, we can't protect ourseves without bearing the consequences of legal action, however I don't care about that, and it wouldn't stop me if need be.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
...we can't protect ourselves without bearing the consequences of legal action...
Ummm...if you are physically attacked, you don't have the right to defend yourself with whatever comes to hand? If you are attacked by someone that intends you serious harm, what's the difference if you shoot him, hit him with a shovel, or smack him with a hockey stick?

Old 06-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #20

I think I'm the minority here. I don't carry any weapons, not because I'm opposed to guns, I just don't see the world as that big of a threat, nor do I wish to see it that way.

I'm afraid that if I carried a gun around with me all the time in case I need to kill somebody, that on some level, life would be worse for me. I think that I'd naturally start seeing my environment as a more hostile place, a place where I might need to start killing folks.

I can't remember the last time I thought I better start killing folks, and I'm not going to start feeling that way on a daily basis for sure.

If I did feel that way, I'd move back to Tonga or something, rather than stay here and plan every day for who I might need to kill.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
Normally I do not go to places where I feel the need to carry a weapon, and particularly not when I have a passenger with me.

But I used to go to some pretty low dives like The Bomb Shelter and The Moon Dog. They were the kind of places where people would screw with your bike if you didn't keep an eye on it, and they'd screw with you too if they though they could get away with it. I carried all the time in those days. Knives, zip guns, lead saps. At least a belt knife and a boot knife all the time. I don't do that sh!t any more.

That was over 30 years ago, but if things get worse I may start up again.
Damn, CQ ! I hope I don't ever make you mad.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #22

I may have carried weapons, but I've never felt the need to kill anyone. Not once in my life. Rarely has there been violence, have I felt the need for violence, or have I even threatened violence. In 53 years I can count the times on one hand. If I choose to cary a pistol, it's not because I feel the need to kill.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankerfrank
Nobody ever made me mad by accident.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #24

Shooting someone for stealing your gas would go over like a fart in church here. In Utah you can only use a weapon to prevent a forcible felony. If you shot someone for stealing your gas you would be viewed as the aggressor and you would go to jail. Basically if someone is attacking you, burglarizing your house, or trying to get into your car (WHILE YOU ARE INSIDE OF IT) are the only justifiable reasons for using a weapon in Utah.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
I think I'm the minority here. I don't carry any weapons, not because I'm opposed to guns, I just don't see the world as that big of a threat, nor do I wish to see it that way.

I'm afraid that if I carried a gun around with me all the time in case I need to kill somebody, that on some level, life would be worse for me. I think that I'd naturally start seeing my environment as a more hostile place, a place where I might need to start killing folks.

I can't remember the last time I thought I better start killing folks, and I'm not going to start feeling that way on a daily basis for sure.

If I did feel that way, I'd move back to Tonga or something, rather than stay here and plan every day for who I might need to kill.
I agree, Dan. I too would like to see the world as a safe place. I have never been confronted with a situation where my only alternative would be to take a life. I hope I never do, but I DO see our country becoming ever increasingly violent. I DO see an ever increasing feeling to be prepared to protect and defend myself. I certainly don't like it. I wish it were different. It's a decision I hope I never have to make, God willing. You are absolutely correct, Dan. When we get to the point we need to carry sidearms, it's time to live in an third world country.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankerfrank
Nobody ever made me mad by accident.
LOL Well put, my friend.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #27

Cadd; If we shot someone we would be in more trouble than the crook, theres a kick on here to ban all handguns from legal owners and shut down the clubs and ranges. This is so the crooks have less guns to steal. Hows that for logic. However, as you said, a shovel or hockey stick can make you see things a little different if need be.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
Shooting someone for stealing your gas would go over like a fart in church here. In Utah you can only use a weapon to prevent a forcible felony. If you shot someone for stealing your gas you would be viewed as the aggressor and you would go to jail. Basically if someone is attacking you, burglarizing your house, or trying to get into your car (WHILE YOU ARE INSIDE OF IT) are the only justifiable reasons for using a weapon in Utah.
Do you mean a firearm? Or any weapon?

Old 06-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
People in Utah don't fart in church ? How dull !!

Old 06-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #30

I specifically meant "firearm" The word weapon is carry over terminology from time in the Marine Corps. However, I believe the word weapon still aplies if it is anything used intending to cause bodily harm or death.