Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-06-2007, 09:43 PM   #16

Bike Weight Opinions Please!

Well, if the incline is when you pull in, pull in, leave it in gear and put the Kick down. If you back it into an incline you will have a tendency to have the Kick roll-out from under it. If the incline is down, then definitely back into it. (Is that logic?)

Hey! Did you get your bike with the risers put on it back yet?

Semper Fi!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #17

Hmmm. I'm going to read the post again waynem. The visual didn't hit me the first time. Yes - I did get the risers on they work great! They really make a difference. I took a pretty long ride and didn't feel at all stretched out. Almost don't need a backrest, because the riser make me sit straight up. Put some new grips and my throttle boss and stilletto end caps back on. Need to adjust throttle boss a little - wrist was sitting a bit to high than what I'd prefer.

Thinking about riding to Boston next weekend, so I should really know what else I need to do in order to be comfortable on long rides when I come back. Finally took my stickers off using the hair dryer method. Worked pretty well - except rubbing off the leftover glue with my thumb wasn't the best idea in the world - rub so hard my thumb swelled up a bit. :-[

Old 07-13-2007, 10:59 AM   #18

let me try again.
IF you are pulling into a parking spot, and the incline is nose-up, then there is no need to try and back in. You can easily back out of that incline. If the incline is steep, then you want to make sure you put it in first gear to keep the bike from rolling back.

Now, that same incline, and you want to huff-n-puff and back your rear end into it, once in place your bike will have a tendency to roll forward. The kickstand will give way and the bike will fall over. You would have to put it in first gear and reset the kickstand if you want to back into an uphill incline. Does that make sense.

Semper Fi!

Old 07-14-2007, 03:36 PM   #19

waynem -makes perfect sense. I'll have to work on it in about 4-8 weeks. went down on the bike yesterday morning on way to work. broke my collarbone. :'( all things consdering everything is fine. :) bike didn't sustain much damage. engine guard worked like it should. bike still in great riding shape. need to replace windshield, don't have to cut it down now, one saddlebag - wont lock, few other scratches but not on the paint.

had to swerve to avoid hitting the car in front me when traffic came to dead stop immediately after i had changed lanes. didn't hit anything. bike fishtailed on me when i hit the brakes. i guess i just fell off and bike tipped over and skidded a bit before it stopped. :-[ don't really remember hitting ground, but must have skidded too 'cause my helmut has skid marks from ear to middle of helmet. something to be said about those helmet laws. didn't have to worry about picking up the bike because by the time i got myself together other folks who stopped to help had already picked the bike up and it was sitting tall on it's stand. another rider stopped to help. thought i was ok until trooper went to help me up - i asked him to, then felt the pain rip up my shoulder blade. still was able to get up and survey damage to bike. needless to say i was pleased she didn't suffer much. trooper asked if i needed an ambulance and considering the pain in my shoulder i said ok - after making arrangements to have bike towed. bad mistake - tow service charged me $384 to tow bike ; should have waited to have someone come and ride bike home. anyway for the most part all is well - but it looks like i'll be out for a good portion of the riding season. this going to be long, boring and hot summer.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:14 PM   #20

First, sorry to hear about your accident. I broke my collarbone twice when I as a kid. Painfull!
Second, the towing bill is outrageous. I joined the American Motorcycle Association and signed up for MoTow. It cost me something like $55 total. MoTow is a service for members of the AMA that will get you help ( towing,bring you gas,fix flats etc ) from garages that are familiar with bikes. They will tow 38 miles free and then so much a mile after that. Never used it but I think it is good to have.
Anyway, rest up, take it easy and you will be riding again before you know it.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #21

thank you tc - appreciate info on tow bill also. i'll look into the ama - sounds like it is well worth. needless to say i was shocked about the towing charge.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:32 PM   #22

Hi dip!

So sorry to hear about your accident :(. I took a spill 3 years ago when a dog ran out between 2 parked cars right on my front wheel. I've been chased by dogs but this one came right in front of me. I could not see it for the cars. I did not break any bones but was black and blue, little road rash on one arm. Bike (not the Nomad-did not have then) had some road rash and on broke mirror.

Get back on as soon as possible. Don't be surprised at feeling a little nervous at first....it will pass.

As far as the weight. At parking lot speeds I can U-turn sometimes and sometimes I duck walk. :-[ Just depends how much room. The length and rake on the Nomad is 66.5/32...as an example the Harley road king has a length of 63 with rake of 26. The shorter rake makes for easier tight turning; the longer rake makes for better straigth line stability when out on the hwy cruising. I also have a moto guzzi which has 61.5 length, rake 29.....I can U turn it much tighter. My hubbie has a Goldwing he can turn good, lenght 68 but rake of 29.

Hope you're healing fast and with little discomfort.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 07-27-2007, 02:09 PM   #23

thanks unwind2 - it's funny you mention "the get right back on and ride nervousness." although i wasn't going to admit it, i had thought about the nervousness issue...i experienced this when i watched my husband go down 2 years ago; i was trailering my bike as he was riding with a group of friends. anyway - the first time i rode after his accident i was a little nervous - couldn't figure it out since i wasn't the one that went down. however, after a week or so -- the nervousness went away and all was well with the world again. i've never considered not riding again, but i have decided that i would do my first couple of hundred miles by myself e.g. just me and my bike once i'm given the green light to ride again.

i've still got to work on those tight turns. i used to have a vn 750, and could maneveur turns virtually parallel to the ground - hence the name dip, but i need a lot more practice on the nomad. first problem is my speed...i need to slow down. i learned how to ride with folks who ride hard and fast and i've gotten into some bad habits in terms of speed.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:17 PM   #24

It actually took me a couple weeks to get used to the way the Nomad handles..... I used to ride a '98 Shadow 750 ACE and then a 2000 Roadstar Silverado 1600. Although the weight of the Roadstar and Nomad are close, it handles very differently. The wide front tire threw me off on U-turns and cornering. I finally realized you can virtually turn the handle bars all the way on U-turns and feather the clutch to keep it moving (remember to turn your head and look where you want to go.. not down). Also it seems that I actually lean my body less on high speed turns on the Nomad, and counter-steer much more with my arms straight..... leaning the bike rather than myself..... anyway, glad you're doing ok & I agree that miles = confidence. Nico

Old 07-29-2007, 01:28 PM   #25

dip - Yeah after my incident with the dog that was in a subdivision. My stomach knotted up for a long time when we went through subdivisions and I creeped along. For a long time if I saw a dog in a yard that was even just sitting or laying there I would cringe bad! Finally got over it. Too bad we're so far apart would be fun 2 ladies on Nomads to ride together. :-/

Machodc- The Nomad is the 5th bike I've owned. It took me a lot longer to get used to it than any of the other 4 bikes. Of Course it is also the largest I've owned. I worked my way up to it: 250 cc,500cc,1100cc (2 different ones), now the Nad 1600. What was finally the clincher for me to get used to it was a long trip on it from TN to Canada. Me loves it now-
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 07-29-2007, 04:26 PM   #26

Old 07-29-2007, 05:11 PM   #27

unwind2 - yeah it would be nice to ride with another lady who recognizes quality :)

machodc - what was it about the long trip that helped you feel more comfortable on the nomad vs some of the other bikes you've ridden.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:52 PM   #28

Dip,
I think it was just getting used to way it handles.... the old "becoming one" with the bike thing.... the clutch friction zone, the gear ratios, how much the bike can lean, engine braking, stopping and starting, low speed handling.... everything... just being able to "trust" it I guess.... Now that I'm completely used to it I wouldn't go back for the world and love the way it handles.... I'm still obsessed with finding out what a slightly narrower front tire will do to the handling and am going to do it against some pretty good advice .... but I'm a hard-headed southern Italian and gotta find out for myself.... lol

Old 07-31-2007, 02:03 PM   #29
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

I thought it was a heavy bike at first, it was the heaviest bike I've riden but now it seems totally managable! I wouldn't hesitate to try a bigger bike now that I have a pretty good handle on her!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 07-31-2007, 07:49 PM   #30

yeah - i do understand about being one with my bike - i felt that way on my vn750; but haven't developed that relationship with my nomad. looks like it will be awhile now...be careful with the new tires...you know what they say a hard head makes a soft a@#.