Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
I'm thinking towards a car tire

Dan Dan Dan,,,

How could such an educated fellow as you be confused about a car tire on a motorcycle? Harley riders have been putting car tires ie; old VW tires on them for 50 years..... Is "time" your issue? Should you wait 100 years? didn't you see me in Custer? Did I die yet? If I haven't had an "issue" in 8K plus miles on it do you think I am eventually?

Since you off-road your Nomad and I know of no other clown to ever take a Nomad where you've taken it, does that mean it can't go off road. "I don't have enough data to make a decision?" I got your results that it can be done don't I??? Phobias............

If you had a faulty valve repaired and after 8K miles of running sweet afterwards would you consider the problem solved? Or would you be still paranoid that the faulty valve will come back and kill you??!!

If you don't have enough facts including time for you to make the decision to go to the "Darkside" "Cult" but of course, then you ain't joining the Cult period.

Continue to pay huge taxes as the other Lemmings of the world and not try to do anything creative to minimize your low tire life and high taxes. Your a good Conformist...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
I say buy the car tire and do all the testing that the cult members didn't do. They just believe in the tire, no real facts. :)
That's the cool part about riding on a car tire. We enjoy the benefits and don't have to prove anything to anybody. I've done my own testing and I'm more than satisfied with the results. It handles fast, slow, twisties, hills, straight, wet, and dry roads better than the two previous MC tires I had. And that's not just a belief, it's a fact. I don't advocate "the cult" to anyone who isn't considering crossing over or hasn't already made the decision. And before I made the decision, I didn't try to discourage anyone. I kept my unfounded/unproven concerns to myself.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 04-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #18

I'm looking forward to your test results. I think you'll be happy with the change.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 04-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #19
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
OK, here are the 14 characteristics of a cult. I had to change the wording just a little, and put my changes in brackets. . .
Now that's some funny stuff Dan!

I believe that I'm the first KawaNOW member that put a car tire on the Nomad. It was February 16, 2008. At the time, KawaNOW was only about 7 months old. There may be some newer members now that have used car tires before that. However, at that time I don't remember having heard of any others on KawaNOW having done so.

That was over two years ago and that tire is still on the bike. In that time I haven't tried to persuade one person to try using a car tire. I have expressed my opinion but I've always made it clear to others that they need to do the research and make their own decision.

I'm sure that you realize that most of the 14 characteristics you listed can be applied to just about any kind of group of people or special interest group that exists.

Just as most of the "Darkside" comments are made in fun, I'm assuming that your post was made in the same vein.

So, keep up the good work! I really love reading your posts. They are always informative and sometimes very entertaining.

If you do decide to try a car tire I will bestow the Darkside blessing upon you since I am the (self-appointed by the virtue of being the first):

KawaNOW Darkside Grand Master and Leader

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 04-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #20

Please bless mine "Father Bob".

110 cu in SE

Rinehart 4" slip ons
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

VBA #482

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #21
Top Contributor

You are blessed my son!

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006

Old 04-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #22
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Yes, I ask for forgiveness for mounting a truck/car tire on my motorcycle.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #23
Top Contributor

Forgiveness is granted and blessing bestowed as well!

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006

Old 04-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #24

Some cults have Nekkid women!

I haven't been to your meetings, what do you guys have?

BD, one of the things that I was worried about was increased wear on other items (drive shaft, rear end splines, etc. etc.) from the centrifugal force of spinning more weight around. And what if it shows up at 50,000 miles, rather than at 8,000 miles?

Not being a mechanical genius type, I thought I'd wait around until many people had many miles running car tires and just see what happens. Owing a bunch of money unexpectedly, makes being one of the genie pigs, and not having to buy a tire this spring and next spring seem a little more reasonable just from a financial point.

If we're all fixing something at 50,000 miles, I want to be the honorary cult leader for that cult! :)

Now, where's the nekkid women that I hear about in other cults?

Old 04-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #25
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Some cults have Nekkid women!

I haven't been to your meetings, what do you guys have?

BD, one of the things that I was worried about was increased wear on other items (drive shaft, rear end splines, etc. etc.) from the centrifugal force of spinning more weight around. And what if it shows up at 50,000 miles, rather than at 8,000 miles?

Not being a mechanical genius type, I thought I'd wait around until many people had many miles running car tires and just see what happens. Owing a bunch of money unexpectedly, makes being one of the genie pigs, and not having to buy a tire this spring and next spring seem a little more reasonable just from a financial point.

If we're all fixing something at 50,000 miles, I want to be the honorary cult leader for that cult! :)

Now, where's the nekkid women that I hear about in other cults?
No nekkid wimmin, just BD in a smartly pressed oxford shirt and Dockers with razor sharp pleats. Disappointing, huh?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #26

In our meetings down here, we cut the heads off of chickens and paint bloody tread patterns on eachother's faces. After that, we all meet in the big room for an orgy.

110 cu in SE

Rinehart 4" slip ons
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

VBA #482

Old 04-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #27

With the Chickens?

MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider
In our meetings down here, we cut the heads off of chickens and paint bloody tread patterns on eachother's faces. After that, we all meet in the big room for an orgy.
VBA 936

Old 04-07-2010, 07:09 PM   #28
Top Contributor

Quote:
. . . one of the things that I was worried about was increased wear on other items (drive shaft, rear end splines, etc. etc.) from the centrifugal force of spinning more weight around. And what if it shows up at 50,000 miles, rather than at 8,000 miles?

Not being a mechanical genius type, I thought I'd wait around until many people had many miles running car tires and just see what happens. . .
The Dunlop SP 5000 in 195/60-16 weighs about 2 pounds more than the stock Bridgestone 170-70-16. That's not much but granted it is a little more.

Remember though, that the centrifugal force will radiate directly away from the axle in all 360 degrees equally. Therefore the force being projected straight up (for example) will be totally nullified by that being projected straight down at the same time. This will apply through all 360 degrees of tire rotation. The increased weight in this case will have no effect as far as centrifugal force loadings are concerned.

The only thing I can think of that would really be affected is that the unsprung weight will increase by whatever amount the particular tire weighs over the stock tire. I doubt that a little more unsprung weight would cause any additional wear on the drive line. If so, everyone that replaced the stock M/C tire with a larger M/C tire would be exposed to what you're concerned about. I haven't heard of anyone having any ill effects caused by using a larger M/C tire in place of the stock size.

In relation to your statement, "I thought I'd wait around until many people had many miles running car tires and just see what happens", let me say this: If you are basing your decision only on the experience of those of us here on KawaNOW you are severely limiting yourself. Compared to the entire group of people that have been using car tires on motorcycles for many years and many miles, those of us using car tires here at KawaNOW is an extremely small group.

If you truly are concerned about the long term effects I would strongly encourage you to expand your search for knowledge beyond the confines of KawaNOW.

Research the following links for a good start on that endeavor:

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...r-tires-4.html

http://www.valkyrieriders.com/shoptalk/CarTire/home.htm
http://darkside.nwff.info/

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mai...Siding%2Fstart

http://forums.delphiforums.com/DarkS...ges/?msg=110.1

http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/...eDarkSide.html

http://www.motorcycle.com/news/news3570.html

http://www.tomfranken.com/Darkside/Default.htm

As I stated, this is only a start. There is a lot more information available out there.

Good Luck!

Cheers, Bob

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006

Old 04-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #29

[quote=MAS Tequila]With the Chickens?

MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cajunrider ":7rvg5ohv
[/quote:7rvg5ohv]

Well, I guess not.....those chickens are dead! ::)

110 cu in SE

Rinehart 4" slip ons
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

VBA #482

Old 04-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #30

[quote=Yellow Jacket]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Dan Lund":recynvor
. . . one of the things that I was worried about was increased wear on other items (drive shaft, rear end splines, etc. etc.) from the centrifugal force of spinning more weight around. And what if it shows up at 50,000 miles, rather than at 8,000 miles?

Not being a mechanical genius type, I thought I'd wait around until many people had many miles running car tires and just see what happens. . .
The Dunlop SP 5000 in 195/60-16 weighs about 2 pounds more than the stock Bridgestone 170-70-16. That's not much but granted it is a little more.

Good Luck!

Cheers, Bob
[/quote:recynvor]

Bob, thanks for the info. I thought that there would be a lot more difference in weight, and weight and size does make a difference in some things, I just don't know how it plays out on a nomad.

I was reading an interesting article in Car and Driver magazine about going with larger rims on a car, and lower profile tires to compensate.

The wheels were 15" to 19", and the tires were from 195/65 to 235/35
The wheel plus tire combination ranged in weight from 40lbs to 54lbs. I guess trading tire size for wheel size gains a lot of weight.

They went out and tested performance putting all the tire and rim sizes on the same car. As expected, there was a fuel economy loss of 10% with the heaviest combo, and 4% degradation in 0-60 times.

I thought that a car tire would weigh much more, and that there could be some draw backs in addition to slinging the extra weight around on the mechanicals. If they are that close in weight, perhaps I was overly concerned.

Now, who makes the grippiest tire that fits a Nomad?