Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #16

Headpipes! It was the darn auto correct!

The heat shielding is now installed inside the side panels as well. There is a ton of heat that transfers back past the battery, and towards the rear tire. But, there are small deflectors which push it out to the side and into the side cover. That is why there is a lot of radiant heat there. Hopefully the heat barrier will help.

I will update again once I install the PCV and get it on the road tomorrow. Should be one hell of a nice ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZVaquero View Post
Just a quick update:
I finished the pipes and wrap, then fired it up this morning. It runs significantly cooler, almost one full tick on the heat gauge. It also feel incredibly cool while standing next to it, even after idling for 15 minutes in the driveway. A lot of the discomfort was coming from the rear cylinder exhaust pipe. The wrap is the titanium from DEI. It took two packages of 2 inch 15ft long. $35 at my local advance auto. I only wrapped it up to the collector on the V&H Pro-pipe...

Great sound too!

I plan on using some heat barrier on the seat bottom and side panels next, I will then update again prior to the PCV install.
Wow! The wrap really worked!? I'm gonna do it then. So, did you start at the head end and work back? did the stock heat shields go back on ok? any other tips or tricks you can relay to us?
Sergeant at Arms, Chapter 32-1
Combat Vets Motorcycle Association

Old 07-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #18

The exhaust wrap made a significant difference in the heat radiating off the header when I did it. Between the PCV and the map I worked up, the full Thunder intake, exhaust wrap and V&H slash cuts my temperature gauge runs just over the 1/4 mark now...

Remove the exhaust system and header to wrap it, you can't do a good job wrapping the header otherwise. Soak the wrap in water and wrap it as tight as you can. I used stainless steel ties to finish the job and the stock heat shields will fit back over the wrap without any issues. I used 50' of 2" wrap with a 1" overlap to do my wrap job, I got it here: http://www.amazon.com/DEI-010108-Bla.../dp/B000BRNF68

The header nuts are 13 ft-lb when you torque them back down... This is right before I installed the heat shields:

Now it looks like this: http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=29289

Last edited by DarkStar; 07-31-2012 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Link...

Old 09-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #19

ceramic coat the pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZVaquero View Post
Hi all, I am new to the forum, but just bought a left over 2011 Vaquero in black a few days ago. So far I love the bike, but the heat is a bit much for my taste.

Which brings me to my point... Heat shields near the upper thigh just like the Harley guys get. I couldn't find anything available, so I was thinking of fabricating something to help out a little. I understand retuning, and wrapping the headphones makes a huge difference, but I want something for the thigh area.

My question for you all is...
If I develop something which is a simple bolt on, no modification to the bike needed, and helped protect the upper thigh area, what would you think it is worth? Powder coated matte black to match the frame, or I could send them out in raw finish.

I was also thinking of a deflector for the fan air to help with that issue. Could be a package deal, who knows... Post is long enough already! What do you all think?
Google... Ceramic coating. You can have the inside and or out side of the pipes coated. If its done correctly you can put your hands on the pipes engine running and it will not burn you.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #20

Pipe wrapping is an easy job, even for a novice. My son-in-law and I wrapped mine last weekend, along with the silicone coating, and what a difference! I wasn't complaining before about the heat, but I am game for things that make the ride better. This is better!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #21
Top Contributor

Only twice have I noticed the heat coming off the engine. Both times it was while waiting at traffic lights in 32c degree weather. Not an issue for me.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Only twice have I noticed the heat coming off the engine. Both times it was while waiting at traffic lights in 32c degree weather. Not an issue for me.
me either,my heat gauge stays between 3/8 and 5/8 mark.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold