Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Harley copying Kawasaki?

The truth is when you look at the Voyager, it's the other way around.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Harley copying Kawasaki?

So he's happy with the K1200?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loafer
I don't follow what HD does. So I say: What have they been waiting for? They could have made the best bikes on the planet. But their agenda always seems to go in another direction. People want to purchase those things. When I ask what they liked about it, that made them want to buy it. They usually say something like I've always like that style over that style, or it was the color. They have no idea that different bikes, are for different reasons. They buy a bar hopper and get a new seat, highway pegs, change the handlebars, put saddlebags on, add something else. 2 to 3 thousand dollars later they trade it in because they want a touring bike. They don't know what they are doing.
I have a cousin who has every clothing accessory available, are you listening Rich? He has bought three HD's in 8 years. He put an average of $5,000.00 of accessories on each one. He finally sold everything HD and bought a BMW K1200s says he threw to much money away foolishly. That he should have decided what kind of riding he wanted to do. And then looked for the bike to fill his needs.
That's how HD has stayed in business, they are very smart.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 09-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #18
Sr. Contributor

Harley copying Kawasaki?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda
I don't really see HD copying Kawasaki. The engine is still air cooled, the switchgear is different, the tranny uses a separate oil tank, etc. I do see that Kawasaki seems to be taking on some HD cues, like a belt drive vs shaft, and the seat extending over the tank, for example.
I guess I never thought of one manufacturer making improvements that others used as "copying".
Kawasaki made a 454 LTD in the 80's that was belt drive. But the material quality wasn't there. HD started using belt drive after the materials for belts improved. All of Kawasaki's LTD series had a seat that went up the tank slightly. The switchgear on HD's sux! HD have traditionally had a separate oil tank because they used to leak, easy to check and pour. ;)
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 09-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #19
Sr. Contributor

Harley copying Kawasaki?

He's had it for two years now, Says he's happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch
So he's happy with the K1200?

Quote:
I don't follow what HD does. So I say: What have they been waiting for? They could have made the best bikes on the planet. But their agenda always seems to go in another direction. People want to purchase those things. When I ask what they liked about it, that made them want to buy it. They usually say something like I've always like that style over that style, or it was the color. They have no idea that different bikes, are for different reasons. They buy a bar hopper and get a new seat, highway pegs, change the handlebars, put saddlebags on, add something else. 2 to 3 thousand dollars later they trade it in because they want a touring bike. They don't know what they are doing.
I have a cousin who has every clothing accessory available, are you listening Rich? He has bought three HD's in 8 years. He put an average of $5,000.00 of accessories on each one. He finally sold everything HD and bought a BMW K1200s says he threw to much money away foolishly. That he should have decided what kind of riding he wanted to do. And then looked for the bike to fill his needs.
That's how HD has stayed in business, they are very smart.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Harley copying Kawasaki?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch
The truth is when you look at the Voyager, it's the other way around.
??? I guess I'm not following your thoughts.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #21
Advanced Member

Harley copying Kawasaki?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda
I don't really see HD copying Kawasaki. The engine is still air cooled, the switchgear is different, the tranny uses a separate oil tank, etc. I do see that Kawasaki seems to be taking on some HD cues, like a belt drive vs shaft, and the seat extending over the tank, for example.
I guess I never thought of one manufacturer making improvements that others used as "copying".
Kawasaki made a 454 LTD in the 80's that was belt drive. But the material quality wasn't there. HD started using belt drive after the materials for belts improved. All of Kawasaki's LTD series had a seat that went up the tank slightly. The switchgear on HD's sux! HD have traditionally had a separate oil tank because they used to leak, easy to check and pour. ;)

HD's have a separate oil tank because they are dry sump. It has nothing to do with oil leaks,
Mustang seat and fender bib
Avon Venom tires
2 right side Harley mufflers the quiet side.
TFI fuel control
Progressive 430 shocks 430-4213B (Best Mod to the bike I've made)
Progressive fork springs (See Above)
Kuryakyn grips
A touch of chrome farkles
Reckless fairing color match 2 tone paint.
Kenwood deck with Polk 5 1/4" speakers.

2007 GSX1250
Stock for now

Old 09-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #22
Sr. Contributor

Harley copying Kawasaki?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman
[quote author=glmvt board=general thread=19712 post=297402 time=1284249442]

HD's have a separate oil tank because they are dry sump. It has nothing to do with oil leaks,[/quote

I don't know about you, but I've seen them leak oil. Don't know where it comes from, and frankly I hope they all run out of oil.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #23

Harley copying Kawasaki?

now boys.....

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 09-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #24

Harley copying Kawasaki?

Quote:
....Don't know where it comes from, and frankly I hope they all run out of oil.
Could it be the push rod seal like the ones on the Nomad's that are known to leak? After all, Harley is just coping Kawasaki according to one member here. :)

Old 09-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #25

Harley copying Kawasaki?

I would add that Nomad's do not exactly have the greatest transmission that I have ever used... in fact, my Ultra's transmission is smoother than my Nomad's...

...just saying. ;)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #26
Sr. Contributor

Harley copying Kawasaki?

I had been bashed for years by HD riders about how inferior my Jap bikes were. They are the most ignorant people I have ever met. One of HD's most successful dealers since 1950
is right here in South Barre, Vermont. When Harry and his wife ran it, they were friendly to all riders. Years go by, son Alan and daughter Ann start to take over. The we are better than you starts. Lots of other brand riders will never go to their shop anymore. Alan died of Leukemia. Harry died a year later in a car crash. Harry's wife and daughter bring in grandson. The we are better than you attitude is even bigger.
A friend of mine, had a daughter suffering from cancer. One of her last wishes was to be a biker babe for a day. Seven of us got together and put a plan together for achieving her goal.
We bought her leather chaps and vest and also a jacket and boots. We solicited all MC riders throughout the state to join us. We were going to meet in So. Barre, Vt. and ride to N.H. and take her to the top of Mt. Washington. Have lunch and then back to So. Barre, Vt. We were all brands seeking all riders to join us. Three of our members were told the local H.O.G. chapter had a ride planned for the same day we going on our ride. We were told we would have to put a proposal on the table at their next meeting, and they would vote to see if they would join us. Two of our reps went and told them of our plans. They said they would advertise in the local paper once, and all the HD riders had to lead the way. And they sent a T-shirt for Hollie to wear. Our reps told them they would give Hollie the T-shirt and that they were welcome to join us. But that the organizers and road blockers would be at the front.HD riders could ride as a group in our group. They decided not to ride with us. And on that Sunday 45 HD riders drove by us where we were staging, headed for their days ride. We went on our ride an hour later. We had 175 motorcycles in our group. 5 were HD's and they said they quit the local chapter for not joining with us. Hollie had a great day. She died 12 days later at 12 years old. Sorry for being so long, but if you had been there and seen the look on that little girls face....... No HD rider is better than me... No HD is better than my Nomad, period...

Old 09-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #27

Harley copying Kawasaki?

Gee loafer, sounds like Greg and I won't be getting a Christmas Card from you.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #28
Sr. Contributor

Harley copying Kawasaki?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Gee loafer, sounds like Greg and I won't be getting a Christmas Card form you.
What are you talking about?

Old 09-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #29

Harley copying Kawasaki?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Gee loafer, sounds like Greg and I won't be getting a Christmas Card from you.
What are you talking about?
"I had been bashed for years by HD riders about how inferior my Jap bikes were. They are the most ignorant people I have ever met."

He and I both ride Harleys.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #30
Advanced Member

Harley copying Kawasaki?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
I would add that Nomad's do not exactly have the greatest transmission that I have ever used... in fact, my Ultra's transmission is smoother than my Nomad's...

...just saying. ;)
I'll 2nd that very nice shifting indeed
Mustang seat and fender bib
Avon Venom tires
2 right side Harley mufflers the quiet side.
TFI fuel control
Progressive 430 shocks 430-4213B (Best Mod to the bike I've made)
Progressive fork springs (See Above)
Kuryakyn grips
A touch of chrome farkles
Reckless fairing color match 2 tone paint.
Kenwood deck with Polk 5 1/4" speakers.

2007 GSX1250
Stock for now