Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #16
Mega-Contributor

Matt, I have offered technical help to hundreds of new members over the years. Yes, I do kid around with BD, TC and others, but when someone has a legitimate technical problem, they get answers.

Ask a stupid question and expect a stupid answer.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
You might be right Doug. Either that or I'm just gettin' old like Tim??!!

I'm annoyed that we keep getting "spammed" on here too. We used to scrutinize the new members a little by submitting emails and passwords.

Now it's wide open for anything... I do eventually see a slow migration to VROC if VBA continues this open to anything from anyone forum. But then that's my grouchy side talking.

Now we have "Premium" membership that cost money. I'd love to pay money to read the latest advertisements in Vietnamese that get left on for days. Just what I signed up for.

This site is no longer "Non profit" yet it's over site is ran like it is. Nothing personal... JMHO..

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 06-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #18

OK, so this is what is behind it. I thought you guys just made some kind of pact to post meaningless stuff and see how many responded or responded thinking you were serious, Or just to get a laugh.

It is your choice, not your duty to respond to a question that has been asked several times or seems obvious to to you.

Having said that I personally would not want people to change the way they respond on here. I see Scott almost always responds quickly with good info, and Brad, well I see he often responds with comic relief,
So do I depending on my mood, And Tim is Tim, see what I mean?
Everybody contributes in their own way and that is what makes this site real. Do we need a group hug yet?

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #19
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
we're all good here... Just long in tooth...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 06-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #20

Believe me I hear exactly what you guys are saying as I've lived it in another area of Motorcycling where I have more knowledge and experience. It can be frustrating but I look at it from the point of view that the vast amount of knowledge and help is what attracts so much traffic around here and for that regular contributors should be proud.

When I returned to the road and bought my Nomad I searched wide and far for a good board full of knowledge and a good vibe from the membership and to me this board stood out. Me personally I don't care for the format of the VROC board.

I feel for Trip and the spambots, on the board I helped with in the span of a year I had pruned over 15,000 spambots from our registered memberlist that had managed to get past the captcha requirement in the registration process, thankfully only a few had managed to post.

Doug Engstrom
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2001 Vulcan Nomad 1500FI, (Sold at 83,000 km)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Matt; I get what your saying. He's my rub and probably others:

without picking on anyone in particular ponder this question:

Question: Do you ride with your high beams on in the daytime?
Answer: Why? is it going to change what you do?? who cares?

Question: How many have changed their tail light lenses to red?
Answer: Why? it's a personal choice.

Question: Should I be running regular gas?
Answer: Run anything you like.

Question: If I put an open air cleaner on my bike is there a chance I could damage my engine?
Answer: If that's the depth of your knowledge as to why one would do it in the first place, you shouldn't be messing with your bike PERIOD!

Question: which oil?
Answer: Really???

Anyone with a tech question about wiring or tuning is one thing. Asking how many do this or that is just horse sh*t..
I completely understand. Yes, questions like that are just plain ridiculous and are a waste of time. I see where you are coming from. I'm not wanting rub any feathers, just was curious to where all this was going.

I love this site and check it every day. I know I haven't met you guys in person yet, but I like to think I've developed some kind of friendship with the regulars on here. I hope that soon I will be able to meet some of you. I'm really interested in making it to the next BIG rally in Colorado.

Now, with all that aside... which oil should I use on my bike, and can you tell me where I can get some different colored lenses for my turn signals?

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 06-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Matt, I have offered technical help to hundreds of new members over the years. Yes, I do kid around with BD, TC and others, but when someone has a legitimate technical problem, they get answers.

CJ, you have been a great help to me in the past. I know you have a wealth of knowledge to give out... and, that you have done that. I'll be right there with you giving stupid answers. But, I'll let you go first. You have much more knowledge on that than I do.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 06-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobandy78 View Post

Now, with all that aside... which oil should I use on my bike, and can you tell me where I can get some different colored lenses for my turn signals?
Royal purple oil. Be sure to save a bit to fill up your turn signals and both jobs are done.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #24
Top Contributor

Quote:
Matt; I get what your saying. He's my rub and probably others:

without picking on anyone in particular ponder this question:

Question: Do you ride with your high beams on in the daytime?
Answer: Why? is it going to change what you do?? who cares?

Question: How many have changed their tail light lenses to red?
Answer: Why? it's a personal choice.

Question: Should I be running regular gas?
Answer: Run anything you like.

Question: If I put an open air cleaner on my bike is there a chance I could damage my engine?
Answer: If that's the depth of your knowledge as to why one would do it in the first place, you shouldn't be messing with your bike PERIOD!

Question: which oil?
Answer: Really???

Anyone with a tech question about wiring or tuning is one thing. Asking how many do this or that is just horse sh*t..
Man BD, who put the burr under your saddle. Oh wait, that would be me.

VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 06-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Does it really matter if new members ask questions that have been asked in the past? That's why they join this forum and ask questions... to get the help they need. The search function for this site is not very good and a lot of people don't even know that it exists. For you guys that are getting upset or irritated at it, you can kindly direct them to the thread that covers their question with a link.

BD & CJ may be doing it in fun, but help the new guys out. Heck, I know there are a TON of threads about front tires... But, I put up another one anyway. I did a search on it, but I also didn't feel like looking through 250 different threads about which front tire to go for. It's a hell of lot easier to put up a new thread related to my set-up and see what the answers are. I may have more questions than what somebody else had.
Theres nothing wrong at all with asking a question, but theres also no reason why they couldn't do a search and read a couple hundred previous posts on the topic. I'm sure they would find there answer most times.

And, How tight to you guys torque your valve caps?

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #26

I don't have a problem with repetetive questions.....especially from a new member as they may not be aware of the search feature or used it to no avail.

The site is new to them as it once was for all of us. Everyone treated me well even though I asked some elementary and possibly repetetive questions.

Most repetetive questions are obvious by the title of the thread. I just don't click on and let someone that has more time answer the question or comment on it.

Heck some members like those repetive questions because they focus on increasing their post count. Obviously I am not one because I have been a member for 4 years and have a wimpy post count.

BD and CJ are just getting old and crotchety. They probably got drunk and dwelled on this topic for a few hours one night, were tired and cranky when they got home from the rally and decided to vent a bit.

Let them have a few days to recharge their batteries and they will be back to their fun loving selves.

Ride on!
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 06-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
wannabe? Now I feel bad.
Sorry...but you were the follower on this effort
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 06-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #28

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
I must live in a cave because I'm unaware of the 'issues' that you guys are wound up over. I'm just happy that new people join. If someone asks an easy question by the time I've found it several others have answered so I don't need to say anything. Fine with me. As has been said, we were all new one time or another.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 06-09-2012, 01:35 AM   #29

Quote:
Either that or I'm just gettin' old like Tim??!!
That's a gimme!

Old 06-09-2012, 04:05 AM   #30

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney View Post
I don't have a problem with repetetive questions.....especially from a new member as they may not be aware of the search feature or used it to no avail.

BD and CJ are just getting old and crotchety. They probably got drunk and dwelled on this topic for a few hours one night, were tired and cranky when they got home from the rally and decided to vent a bit.

Let them have a few days to recharge their batteries and they will be back to their fun loving selves.

Ride on!
If I catch a question from our much appreciated new members, I'll do a search and find the answer for them until they learn their way around. It's like showing a new co-worker where the rest room and cafeteria is. It's a good idea to do a fair amount of research before working on any motorcycle.

You omitted TC along with BD and CJ in the crotchety bstrd(s) category. Get your act together! You been here long enough, and ought to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
Theres nothing wrong at all with asking a question, but theres also no reason why they couldn't do a search and read a couple hundred previous posts on the topic. I'm sure they would find there answer most times.

And, How tight to you guys torque your valve caps?
I SEEN THAT! Bite my kiester!
I'm kidding. Just wanted to see what it was like to be crotchety like BD, CJ, and TC.
It feels nasty, and I wanna go take a hot shower and scrub my skin raw!

Quote:
I completely understand. Yes, questions like that are just plain ridiculous and are a waste of time. I see where you are coming from. I'm not wanting rub any feathers, just was curious to where all this was going.

I love this site and check it every day. I know I haven't met you guys in person yet, but I like to think I've developed some kind of friendship with the regulars on here. I hope that soon I will be able to meet some of you. I'm really interested in making it to the next BIG rally in Colorado.

I can guarandamntee you when you meet us at ANY rally, you gonna have the time of your life, a lot of great memories, and can't wait 'till the next un!

Don't say colored on here, it gets BD like totally upset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
OK, so this is what is behind it. I thought you guys just made some kind of pact to post meaningless stuff and see how many responded or responded thinking you were serious, Or just to get a laugh.

It is your choice, not your duty to respond to a question that has been asked several times or seems obvious to to you.

Having said that I personally would not want people to change the way they respond on here. I see Scott almost always responds quickly with good info, and Brad, well I see he often responds with comic relief,
So do I depending on my mood, And Tim is Tim, see what I mean?
Everybody contributes in their own way and that is what makes this site real. Do we need a group hug yet?
I don't think they was a pact. I did only one crazy question because them other two was doing it, and because dadgumm it,..... it lightens the mood and keeps the conversation from getting stale around here.

I hate group hugs!!!!!!!!!
Hugs ought to be done individually. Shirts optional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post

The only stoopid question is the one not asked.
I think I read that on a fortune cookie 1 time or in one or something.

One time one of my hateful, bone crushing, lard ass, school teachers, well a few actually, spoke that unasked question quote. I ask something. They answered with something close to "Kawhead, every time I think you've said the stupidest thing I thought I heard you say,,,,,,,,you start talking again!
Damn this wine is good!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
I can't believe you guys who have been on this site for a long time can't figure out what they are doing.
Some of the new members ask the same questions over and over. Not all, but some of the questions have answers that are so obvious the question seems, shall we say, not worth posting or the time it takes to answer.
This is the kind of questions they are dreaming up.
So, to answer your question, they are making fun of some of the questions new members ask.
TC.......you're mean as hell.

Life must have drop kicked your ass down the pit thats left when they move out houses.

I just know there is going to be a eight page thread of people defending you against those two remarks.

We're good host and welcome the new folks and their questions.

I posted my question to lighten the mood. Them other too,,,,,,,,,,,I shan't hazard a guess, as I'm afraid I will come to understand their thoughts and fear sleep for never ending nightmares I will suffer consequentially.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead