Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #16
Sr. Contributor

.....KawaNOW and the VROC......

That's a bit of a broad statement to say that most end up in jail... Some people don't need a lot of rules. Some people like a lot of rules. I tend to like a long leash as it were. As far as the VROC site goes, I don't read it often as it can be too much to keep up with, but they are entitled to their opinion as anyone here is as well. All I can say is discourse can be a positive thing. If you want something a little more palatable, the delphi forum is ok. Above all, you have to remember that motorcyclists can be some of the most individualistic types of people you will meet. It goes with the territory. The end result is take everything with a grain of salt. JMO.

I would also add that the sting in any rebuke is the truth...

Quote:
Trip. Most of the sites I go to have Mods.. and those who dont like rules sound like a Kid who says if I cannt have it my way Ill hold my breath til I turn Blue ::) The world has tons of moderators,and most who dont like rules are in jail LOL.........
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by machodc
To each their own.....

Long live KawaNOW!!

But I am pulling my VRoC membership # off my sig line. ;)
NICO,,,,,,,,, YOU can say that again,,,
SUCKS the a Few A Holes can ruin a otherwise good site.....Thats 1 reason Im hardly there,,,

Old 05-26-2008, 09:48 AM   #18
Top Contributor

I needed alot of info. about bikes and ridding when I got back on the saddle after 22+ years. That info. I got answered right away right here, and didn't get bitched at for asking numerous questions. I won't mention the fourm but on another forum I got crusified for asking a question and not being sure of the answer, or what the hell do you want that for. I figured they were mostly snot nose kids. Like I said before "hire a teenager while they still know everything"
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #19
Sr. Contributor

I have found that the local chapters of VROC, etc, are better for things like that as everyone knows each other and chances are they will know you too, so they behave a little better. It's easy to be a butt hole when you're pretty much anonymous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish
I needed alot of info. about bikes and ridding when I got back on the saddle after 22+ years. That info. I got answered right away right here, and didn't get bitched at for asking numerous questions. I won't mention the fourm but on another forum I got crusified for asking a question and not being sure of the answer, or what the hell do you want that for. I figured they were mostly snot nose kids. Like I said before "hire a teenager while they still know everything"
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 05-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch
That's a bit of a broad statement to say that most end up in jail... Some people don't need a lot of rules. Some people like a lot of rules. I tend to like a long leash as it were. As far as the VROC site goes, I don't read it often as it can be too much to keep up with, but they are entitled to their opinion as anyone here is as well. All I can say is discourse can be a positive thing. If you want something a little more palatable, the delphi forum is ok. Above all, you have to remember that motorcyclists can be some of the most individualistic types of people you will meet. It goes with the territory. The end result is take everything with a grain of salt. JMO.

Quote:
Trip. Most of the sites I go to have Mods.. and those who dont like rules sound like a Kid who says if I cannt have it my way Ill hold my breath til I turn Blue ::) The world has tons of moderators,and most who dont like rules are in jail LOL.........
My statement about Jail was more a Joke then anything else :) I also like a Long leash,, but some people take lack of rules to the extream. AND yes ALL should be taken w/agrain of salt.We are ALL different and have our own point of view,,, BUT certain things tick me off LOLand get me going.......Rich

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-26-2008, 10:01 AM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Make no mistake that things can get out of hand on the VROC forum. I have witnessed it and been the object of it. You have to laugh, and think why are they getting so serious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by radco
Quote:

My statement about Jail was more a Joke then anything else :) I also like a Long leash,, but some people take lack of rules to the extream. AND yes ALL should be taken w/agrain of salt.We are ALL different and have our own point of view,,, BUT certain things tick me off LOLand get me going.......Rich
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 05-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #22

Quote:
Make no mistake that things can get out of hand on the VROC forum. I have witnessed it and been the object of it. You have to laugh, and think why are they getting so serious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by radco
Ponch,, YEs I agree 100%,, SOME post do remind me of a kid saying he will hold his breath if he doesnt get his way LOL.....Rich

Old 05-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

I have not been to VROC for some time even tho I'm a member. Nothing against the site I just prefer KawaNOW more. Easier to find things here. Like the layout. Most folks are tollerable. All I can find on VROC is a thread called KawaNOW - Dan Lund. If that is the one that has everyone so steamed we need to lighten up. Trip, you have done a great job on this site and have nothing to apologize for and you have no need to defend your intentions. I checked out VROC when I bought the Nomad as was thrilled to find this site. Some people like VROC, some like KawaNOW, some like Delphi. A few of us move between all of them. This is sort of like when hunters start pointing fingers at other hunters who use different weapons than they do. Bowhunters don't like black powder hunters and center fire rifle hunters don't care for either of the other two. Not universally of course but there are always a few who develop that "tribal" attitude and start pointing fingers at the "others". The sad thing is that when that happens we all loose. Divide and conquer you know. I don't whether to laugh or cry when I see this kind of thing. I just want to ride and be able to share my thoughts and hopes and come running when the bike burps to see if you guys can help. I would suggest a group hug here but either Sue or Nico would come through with their Friday Nite Hug Fest photo so I won't go there. ::)
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 05-26-2008, 10:28 AM   #24
Mega-Contributor

I joined VROC prior to joining KawaNOW. I go to the VROC bike nights, they are a well-established, large group and have enough members here in the Phoenix area to actually have a bike night. I don't visit the VROC site but maybe 1x-2x a week anymore. It seems to me that 90% of the VROC conversations are personal, non or barely motorcycle related. Many of those members have been on there for years and are more like a bunch of old friends who know other members' kids names, spouses, anniversaries, etc.

I had the gall to try and get a Phoenix VROC chapter organized and received nothing but flack from people for even contemplating it. They like their little world the way it is, and that's fine.

I also belong to the Beartooth Kawasaki Forum and the Delphi Vulcan forum. Each forum has its good points, each has its problems. I'm not going to run down another forum publicly. If I don't like a site, I don't go back.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-26-2008, 11:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
The moderators allow people to have an oppinion. I've never had to delete someones post and the only time I would is if it were abusive

One nice feature that proboards has is the ability to link to other threads. When a new member asks a question thats already been asked we don't say "go look at the old posts" We can even provide a link if we want to help them get their question answered even quicker.
I wanted to link to another thread but me no know how- how do you do that? Thks! :-/
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 05-26-2008, 11:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
I'm not going to run down another forum publicly. If I don't like a site, I don't go back.
Good point!
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 05-26-2008, 11:53 AM   #27

Unwind,

Go to the page you want to link to, then move up to the address bar of your browser and cut-and-past it into the text of the message where you want the link to appear. Should work.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #28

Quote:
One nice feature that proboards has is the ability to link to other threads. When a new member asks a question thats already been asked we don't say "go look at the old posts" We can even provide a link if we want to help them get their question answered even quicker.
That's why we love ya wolfie...your job is priceless!!!

They might be jealous of our friendships here! :) I like this format so much better!! Probably cuz it's the only forum I've ever been/belong to!

Old 05-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
...It seems to me that 90% of the VROC conversations are personal, non or barely motorcycle related. Many of those members have been on there for years and are more like a bunch of old friends who know other members' kids names, spouses, anniversaries, etc.....
First, I have not seen the thread in question, because though I am a VROC member & have been to the High Sierra rally in '04, '05, & '06, I don't visit their web forum any more. Most of their goings-on are too far from me geographically.

Anyhow, my opinion of the people at HSVROC was (with one very minor incident, not worth repeating here) very positive. I enjoyed it and I will definately go again. I'd be going this year, but for the fact that the KawaNOW rally is the same day, and I've been dying to go ride Zion's for years.

My opinion of the web forum is pretty much as CactusJack notes: it's a tough place to get any notice unless you are one of the old guard, or you are a newbie who makes a false move and get's rat packed for it. Still, I got along there fairly well for an outsider until one incident that made a real impression on me.

Back before they had a real 21st century web forum, I made the mistake of mentioning how antiquated their message board was compared to the other places I frequented. I was curtly told about the horrible technical difficulties they'd faced even getting it from a 1980's BBS to that current state. I was also clearly informed that "This place isn't for everybody" and I could basically love it or leave it.

That was 4 years ago & I've posted there perhaps a dozen times since.

I guess it's tough to stand in the way of progress, because I've noticed since that time that they've finally updated their web forum to something approaching modern standards. I applaud that, and I hope nobody was severely injured in the process.

Anyhow, this is my primary haunt now, because I want to talk about Nomads, with people interested in Nomads. It seems to be working out well so far. ;)

Old 05-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwind2
Quote:
The moderators allow people to have an oppinion. I've never had to delete someones post and the only time I would is if it were abusive

I wanted to link to another thread but me no know how- how do you do that? Thks! :-/

Right click on the web address of the page you want to link to. Select copy then right click on your new page and select "paste"