Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #16

Thoughts on recent observations

One thing the Goldwings have right is the abundance of lights. If I could afford it and figure out how to do it, I would look like a tractor trailer rollin' down the highway. Lots of lights for sure.

I have seen some GW riders in shorts. I think they are extremely stupid but not as stupid as the kid I saw the other day riding a crotch rocket wearing shorts and flip flops. IDIOT!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-24-2008, 10:51 PM   #17
Mega-Contributor

Some of those bikes have more lights on them than a runway.

VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-24-2008, 11:07 PM   #18

What a biker rides or wears is his/hers choice, I also noticed the difference like wolfman has.
But we all seem to follow the crowd that we're hanging out with, no big deal its all good, do what's right for you. I wear leathers, Levi's, do-rag, boots and when I have to a half helmet come cold, rain or shine. I been riding like this since the 70's. I always look at riding a bike kinda like being a cowboy, but that's just me. And the way you are, is just you
(but the BMW dudes seem to be a little uppy-it-de, if you know what I mean) sometimes its the crowd you run with.
Enough of this rambling, I need a beer.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:27 PM   #19

I have an Arai full face. Has an in vent on the chin guard, two out at the top of the face sheild, two in at the top of the helmet and four out the back. More than enough airflo if I'm not hiding behind the Nads windshield. Top intakes are covered if the face shield is up so it depends on where ya want your air.
I wear the leather jacket more in the spring and fall. Textile jacket is warmer in the winter.
No jacket or an armored mesh jacket in the summer. mesh for trips. When it's really cold I wear insulated hunting boots and ski gloves. So whatever makes me comfortable.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 07-24-2008, 11:40 PM   #20
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Scion0"
I'd like to find a place where those cool jackets are affordable.
What kind of jacket are you referring to?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-24-2008, 11:55 PM   #21

Send a message via MSN to scion0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
I'd like to find a place where those cool jackets are affordable.
Textile jacket or an armored mesh jacket type (Tourmaster, Joe Rocket, etc)

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Old 07-24-2008, 11:59 PM   #22
Mega-Contributor

I wasn't saying that anybody should dress a certain way depending on what bike you ride. Wear what you want to wear. I happen to have a dislike for wearing bright colors, and I always have. Even my normal street clothes are dark, I'm just not a colorful guy I guess. You'll never see me wear fluorescent, day-glo or pastel anything, that's just how I am.

What I find funny is that the "traditional biker" wearing leathers, etc., is probably one of the most stereotypical images in modern culture, yet the BMW/GW crowd is almost as cliche'.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 07-25-2008, 12:01 AM   #23
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack

Textile jacket or an armored mesh jacket type (Tourmaster, Joe Rocket, etc)
Have you tried http://www.newenough.com? they have some smokin' deals on nice riding gear and they offer superb customer service. I got my Powertrip mesh jacket from them, and a lot of others here have bought from them too.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 07-25-2008, 12:08 AM   #24

Yes, I recommend Newenough.com as well. I've had great service from them. Check their eBay auctions as well, particularly if you wear an odd size.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:24 AM   #25

I ride a vtwin but dress like a crotch rocketer (full face Scorpion helmet and Frank Thomas bright yellow/white textile jacket w/armor) 90% of the time. Not for the look but just improving the safety factor. My full face stays pretty cool even in the heat...but when it is real hot I will leave the shield up and slip on some shades...don't like those bees and bugs in my eyes.

It would be interesting to hear what any of you have to say about modular helmets....I thought about one but they seem so bulky when the lower part is on the up position. But maybe I could get used to it.

I remove the jacket liner over 60 degrees. And I just wear a long sleeve or short sleeve TShirt when it is over 80....I try to be as visble with bright colors as much as possible....except I always wear jeans, but I do need to get some rain gear even though I try to avoid riding in the rain whenever possible.

I could care less what other riders think of my look and I don't care what they wear...too each his own.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 07-25-2008, 01:28 AM   #26

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC

TC < I'm the first to admit to being a scary-cat. I know for a fact a stupid deer will run in front of you 2/10ths of a mile from your house in the middle of the night. On that same stretch of road many nights I rode with no helmet and a tee shirt hauling A$$ on a VN800 with strait pipes. But on 29Nov.'07 it was 30 degrees that night and I had on Wells overalls and jacket. Aside from bruises and a severely sprained ankle I came out alright. Now I ride on hot days with a padded textile vest and go to a gray padded textile jacket at night. I like stuff thats different from the crowd or else I would be riding a HD. Hey ScionD........I get my cool stuff from leatherup.com. They have good affordable products for the price.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 07-25-2008, 05:53 AM   #27

I never really paid much attention to the GW and BMW riders because I don't see very many of them down here. Most are cruisers and sport bikes. The cruiser riders down here are pretty much like you described except in the summer where most are in blue jeans and tee shirts. The majority of sport bike riders are in tank tops and short pants with either sandals or tennis shoes. I've even seen some barefooted.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 07-25-2008, 06:55 AM   #28

Send a message via MSN to trevwales

I have to confess I have a Kilimanjaro jacket, and weather-proof pants, but I am living in Wales, which is pretty much rainy all the time. Also like to be seen and not hit! On the other hand, for the dry days, have a nice Belstaff leather jacket, and leather pants, which have hardly been used :(. In the UK most people use full-face as we dont have to deal with the heat you guys have to. I have a Schuberth C2 and also a 3/4 Dainese helmet.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:14 AM   #29

I too concur with WM observations. I believe the BMW crowd evolved more from the European sport touring culture, not too surprising, which appears to be be optimized for safety and comfort in a damp cooler climate. Whereas the metric cruiser crowd here has generally adopted the more traditional US biker culture/style. GW's maybe somewhere in the middle and dominated by older and financially established (softer :)) types. When Wolfman saw me, I was wearing a textile jacket, jeans, and 1/2 lid, although I often wear leathers all around and full helmet but I let the weather mostly dictate what I wear and was expecting that ride to be mostly warm to hot with some potential for cool and wet, all of which we got.

As for the mesh jackets, I got and really like the AlpineStars flow thru, available from the Neweough site recommend by CatusJack above. Although it is really a sport riding type jacket, since it is all black it tends to fit in with the cruisers too . It is very practical, lots of armor, solid construction, cool up tot 90+F when moving where it almost feels like wearing no jacket at all. Has the great feature that the mesh does not absorb water and comes with a removable breathable water/wind resistant liner that turns it into a cool weather jacket as well as a very good rain jacket. I use it for maximum summer time flexibility with minimal packing requirements. Cost was about $160.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:33 AM   #30
Top Contributor

hey you guys that do wear high vis colors do you feel you really get noticed more(safety speaking)?? i wear black leather jacket when cold, nothing when hot(most months in TX), was thinking more visibility more safety. Like the Airglide 2 high vis yellow jacket since I was wanting a flow thur type textile jacket. All of tourmaster are good but no high vis color I seen. Any comments would be helpfull. Thx guys.