Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 04-11-2009, 12:41 AM   #16

Texas Hill Country ride

Assuming you come in on I-10 due to time constraints. Stop in Kerrville at the State Park. Making time on the interstate and the hitting the twisties at the end of your day would be tough. You can do all the Threes and maybe a little extra scenery in a day and return to Kerrville. An early start, plenty of breaks, lots of water as it heats up. Might take a scenic route from Seguin to Boerne on 46 bypassing San Antonio. Breaks up the monotony and takes about the same amount of time.
Don't be so eager to hit top gear, you'll just have to come down again. Don't fixate on the curves, keep your eyes on where you need to go thru the curves. May be preaching to the choir but you can always come back if your still alive.

PS. 336 has a few cattle guards, beware of attack dear everywhere... and goats

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-11-2009, 05:44 AM   #17
VBA Founder

Texas Hill Country ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsregalnadness
All good terrebonne. Thanks for asking. In fact, I called one of my riding buds today (he's also my sort of personal trainer) and told him I was ready to pick back up on my weight training Monday. I think enough of the kinks are out to get back on the bench.

I only got about 6 weeks to fit my tux.

Trip, is it Lake Nuecess Park in camp wood? We were close to that but never went to check it out. I liked Garner quite a bit, but found Lost Maples to be really nice. Didn't get to stay there, but looked it over. Maybe next trip out we'll call that home.
Sorry to hear about your scrap. Glad things are OK. I can't remember the name of the camping park in Camp Wood, but it's on the Neuces River. Camp Wood is not that big, so anyone can find it.

Glad you enjoyed Garner. I have bike camped there many times and find it an excellent park.

I try to go to the Texas Hill Country every year and since I've gotten a little older, instead of camping, I stay at the D'Rose Inn in Leakey. Deb's the owner and a sweetheart.

What Skeeter says is true, gotta watch out for the cattle guards and deer. And you've gota take your time, you can't rush the Hill Country.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 04-11-2009, 08:46 AM   #18

Texas Hill Country ride

While we're on the subject, there's another hazzard to be aware of on the sisters. While we were riding 337 this spring, we rounded one of the many switchbacks only to be surprised by a man (fool) on what appeared to be a kids bicycle. Fortunately, he was in the oposite lane coming the other way, but he was moving almost not at all! If you've been there you can imagine uphill on a bicycle that appeared to have no gears.

We spoke with a group of rocket-riders fueling up later and warned them about the bicyclist. One of them said something about "again" and shook his head. So, apparently this sucicidal idiot on the bicycle is a regular fixture on 337.

So, enjoy your ride, but look out for a BICYCLE!? ??? in the middle of the road going nowhere fast!.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:27 PM   #19
VBA Founder

Texas Hill Country ride

Hmmmm....I've ridden 337 over 20 times and never seen this guy.

He must be a new fixture. What part of 337 was he on?
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 04-12-2009, 12:32 AM   #20

Texas Hill Country ride

"A" bicycle? The hills are becoming increasingly popular with cyclists and they are out in droves. While I'm not thrilled with their etiquette, we do have to share the road with them. I don't mind so much on the Nomad as I can squeeze thru or make em nervous by mingling. It's when I'm in the truck and I can't pass without killing someone that ticks me off.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #21

Texas Hill Country ride

This guy was on a smallish bike, not a fancy 10 speed. He had no helmet, was heading uphill, and in the middle of the lane. It scared the s%*T out of me when I rounded the swithcback on a downhill run to see this guy suddenly in my vision barely moving. Fortunately, he was in the opposite lane, but could just as easily been in mine going my way.

Anyway, Trip, it was east of Leakey, about a mile and a half on 337. He was headed east, and at the pace he was making, it was going to be a long day for him. Oh, he was fairly tan, so looked like this was not his first time out.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #22
VBA Founder

Texas Hill Country ride

Interesting.........I've never seen this guy. Looks like he's a commuter from Leakey who doesn't really know how to commute.

And he's traveling the best part of 337 too...between Leakey and Vanderpool. Maybe he doesn't live too far from Leakey.

At any rate, I plan on taking a week-long trip to Leakey this September. I'll keep an eye out for him.
Trip's Website

Old 04-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #23

Texas Hill Country ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Interesting.........I've never seen this guy. Looks like he's a commuter from Leakey who doesn't really know how to commute.
LMAO!

Old 05-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #24

Texas Hill Country ride

Did y'all see the pictures the guy on the side of the road was taking on 337?

http://www.jwimaging.exposuremanager...2009rr33736348

(http://www.txmotofoto.com)

I think he was there all day Saturday. He caught us coming and going.

Dennis "Master Mac" McHenry
VROC#880, VBA#673, DarkSide#273
'15 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
'05 Vulcan 1600 Nomad (Left the nest)
'02 Vulcan 1500 Classic Fi (RIP)
'95 Vulcan 750, (Retired)
Houston/Klien, Tx

Old 05-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #25

Texas Hill Country ride

Nice picture Dennis. Could caption it "The Redcoats are coming!"

Old 05-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #26
VBA Founder

Texas Hill Country ride

I like the pic he took of you guys Dennis. When I was going down 16 a couple of years ago, he took a pic of me too.

Trip's Website

Old 05-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #27

Texas Hill Country ride

LW - yea, we thought it was going to be hotter than it was so wore our mesh jackets instead of leathers. With it overcast all weekend, it was actually fairly cool riding.

Trip - your picture came out very clear.

Dennis "Master Mac" McHenry
VROC#880, VBA#673, DarkSide#273
'15 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
'05 Vulcan 1600 Nomad (Left the nest)
'02 Vulcan 1500 Classic Fi (RIP)
'95 Vulcan 750, (Retired)
Houston/Klien, Tx