Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #346
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlknvlcn60 View Post
I put the Thunder intake manifold gasket in last Fall back when I was experiencing all the backfiring problems doing everything under the sun to get rid of the headaches. I gooped it on both sides with high temp Permatex and really sealed everything up in that connection including burying the O-rings tightly in there. Since the Ivan ecu tune, things run perfectly now even better so no regrets on the gasket....every little thing you can do makes it that much better.
I had seen a few that said they used the thunder gasket, high temp grease and kept the seals. Wondered why I couldn't use permatex instead. If I can get a weekend it's not raining, I'll have to do that as well.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #347
Advanced Member

I've always relied on Permatex products for many years, both for cars and bikes.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #348
Advanced Member

I am getting about 42-44 mpg now if...and I say if, I am not being so ham fisted. The roads we ride out here go up and down hills and mountains, with nice sweepers and twisties so naturally the throttle gets opened more often than not unless we are droning the long flat straights in places and yes, the wind can sometimes be a bear. Just this past weekend a wind spout came across the road and blew my "wind sail" Vaquero into the other lane (lucky for me no one was coming in the other lane toward me) and wiggled the front end a little! Typical spring weather. After my ecu tune with Ivan, my friends tell me they smell a little rich mix coming from my tail pipe, mostly when the motor is running a little cooler but as things warm up I expect improvements for better mpg. The motor runs so nice now though....smoother, cooler, and stronger.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:10 PM   #349
Advanced Member

My problem is the ride home from work. I may sit in traffic just trying to get out of downtown, only to get on a crowded freeway. Riding in early in the morning is much better. Less traffic, more open freeway.

Even without trying now, the bike just gets up to 80 so easily now.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 04-19-2016, 05:39 PM   #350
Advanced Member

I noticed that too.....5th and 6th gear the bike seems to pull much better and harder, with less throttle input at the grip. So it makes sense, when cruising in top gear at say, 70-75 you will save fuel and go longer on a tank.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-20-2016, 04:51 AM   #351

I've got about 400 miles on the bike since Ivan's flash and I'm averaging 41-43 mpg without much time on the highway. Did get 34 mpg on my first tank running it hard. I'm switching from a Chuckster air intake to a Roaring Toyz today, will be interesting to see if there's any change at all in performance or MPG. I'm still playing with the PCV some after having the bike just test run on a dyno to where where the A/F was with the flash.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:24 AM   #352
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fried Chicken Blowout View Post
I've got about 400 miles on the bike since Ivan's flash and I'm averaging 41-43 mpg without much time on the highway. Did get 34 mpg on my first tank running it hard. I'm switching from a Chuckster air intake to a Roaring Toyz today, will be interesting to see if there's any change at all in performance or MPG. I'm still playing with the PCV some after having the bike just test run on a dyno to where where the A/F was with the flash.
I took the bike on a hard run yesterday to test WOT. In 5th at about 4400 RPM I heard a small plink plink. Not sure if I would call it pinging. It did not sound like a rattling bag of marbles in the engine at all. The bike was pulling stupid hard. I had changed the PCV to add 3% fuel from 3750 rpm to redline in the 60%-100% throttle range. I now bumped those settings to 4% just to be safe. The air is pretty dense here in South FL. I dont ride at WOT so I am going to leave it alone now. At 80 mph cruise the motor is cool as a cucumber and a slight goose of the throttle will get you to 95 mph in seconds. I am running 93 octane right now.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:44 AM   #353
Advanced Member

When I first got mine back and put in, I did an easy cruise up to the gas station. When I left there, I found out that Ivan does indeed not mess with the rev limiter. Hadn't hit it before, good to know where it is now.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 04-20-2016, 08:56 AM   #354
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
At 80 mph cruise...
I just got mine back from the dealer for an oil leak, so my ECU is going out next week. But I am curious. On mine at 80 with the cruise on it has a weird kind of rumble...almost like it is lugging. Very minor, just annoys the snot out of me. Did you have that before...and is it gone now?

Won't change my mind on getting it done, just curious.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:22 AM   #355
Advanced Member

tonik I didn't notice anything like that after my ecu flash...just a much better running bike. Ken....93 octane in Fla.? The highest we get up here in Oregon is 92 and I run the ethanol-free version as availability is good here. Sounds like your PCV tune is working well for you and yes, the air in Fla. is very dense....I remember it well when I lived in St. Petersburg for a few years. Nothing like sea level air. I too, have been noticing a good hard 5th gear pull as well, but I shift usually at no more than about 4300 rpm as the torque curve is pretty done at that point. Sounds to me like your PCV tune has helped raise the curve a little more by adding in more fuel. Interesting.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
Same temps down here but 15-20 mph winds, seemed everywhere I went I was pushin into a head wind!

At half tank I was at 126 miles on my GPS and ran that tank out to 223 miles, took 4.982 gllns for an actual average of 44.85 mpg!

Once our spring time winds die down I'll be back up into high 40's/ low 50's.

RACNRAY

I'll be sending my ECU in next week and I sure hope I experience that kind of increase in fuel mileage. I've been getting around 32 mpg through the break in with all the rolling on and off the throttle for the first thousand miles. 25 mph plus Spring winds haven't helped either.

I just ordered a Thunder Mfg teardrop breather and a set of Vance & Hines slash cuts are sitting in the garage ready to go on too. I'll be going from bone stock to Ivan ECU flash, breather and pipes all at once so I'm expecting a noticeable bump in performance.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #357

after the update I got on my first tank 41 mpg. that's fuel in vs miles on the OD. Don't think my second is going to as good. Can't get off the throttle now. lol
VBA #02668
2014 Voyager ABS
Thunder Mfg Tear-drop breather
V&H Slip on's
Ivanated ECU
Air shocks with compressor and remote
Rear speaker kit
Clarion Amp
6.5" speaker adapters
Polk Audio 6.5" front speaker.
RACNRAY ISO grips with throttle mod.
Bushtek Turbo 2+ trailer
LED Headlight
LED Driving lights
Pulsating break light

Old 04-20-2016, 05:07 PM   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
I took the bike on a hard run yesterday to test WOT. In 5th at about 4400 RPM I heard a small plink plink. Not sure if I would call it pinging.
That "plink plink" is not good and detonation doesn't have to be that full "bag of marbles", can be just a quick "hello". There is also what we call "inaudible" detonation and that is not good either.The abrupt cylinder pressure rise is damaging and runnin 93 octane indicates the engine is operating in that "danger zone" in those scenarios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlknvlcn60 View Post
tonik. Sounds to me like your PCV tune has helped raise the curve a little more by adding in more fuel. Interesting.
Altering settings in a PCV doesn't necessarily "raise the curve" especially if it is only a change of "1". Without knowing if the pinging is caused by a lean mixture or too much ignition timing your just pissing in the wind. The cause of the pinging must be isolated and rectified, if there is too much ignition timing you can richen it up to suppress the audible pinging but you'll still have the inaudible detonation that will damage pistons/cylinder bores and rod bearings.

Years and hundreds of engine builds and dyno time has taught me much and as I have been telling MANY peeps that have called me on the fone asking my opinion on the flash, I have told them it's a generic flash just like a map from DynoJet for a specific exhaust is a generic map, both are starting points that further tuning always benefits. Ivan's claim that his flash will be fine for 95% of the skoots should have never been made as how can he make such a statement and then, from what I have heard, instruct 1700 owners with PCV's to "add fuel" to certain areas?

That 95% is inaccurate.

RACNRAY

Old 04-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #359

Ignition timing at full throttle is stock.

Ivan

Old 04-20-2016, 05:41 PM   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan_ipp View Post
Ignition timing at full throttle is stock.

Ivan
Then that narrows it down for sure.

RACNRAY