Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-04-2008, 03:05 PM   #31

First ever pics of my trailer project

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
IMO Mobil-1 is not really a wheel bearing grease. It'll work OK, but will need to be renewed more frequently than real wheel bearing grease. I'd recommend short fiber grease or that blue stuff for boat trailers.
Really? Hmmm, I used the Mobil-1 because that's what someone else recommended. If it's not the right stuff, I'll get something else. Autozone didn't have a huge selection of grease.
I need to clarify my statement C.J.: It'll work fine, and actually it could be argued that it's even better for a motorcycle trailer because, although it won't last as long, it lubricates very easily because it's less viscous (especially when cold.) So it would make the trailer a little bit easier to tow

Anyhow, I think you're OK to use it, but it just needs to be replaced about twice as often. Now what makes the others superior as wheel bearing grease is their ability to absorb shock loads. Mobil-1 won't be as good at that; but OTOH you won't normally have extreme shock loads because you won't be loading that trailer to nearly the load capacity of the tires and bearings.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #32
Mega-Contributor

I won't rush out and repack the bearings. I'll wait until they need it and then try a different type of grease if the mood strikes me.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbrian
...the grease i use in the wheels is made by lubrimatic (blue marine grease mentioned by caddman)....
Yeah. That's what I use in my boat trailer. Also it has Bearing Buddies so you can grease it quickly and they also help force out any water in the hubs. My other trailer has short fiber grease, which must be packed by hand.

So there's this trade-off: People will grease less often if it's hard to do. They'll grease more often if all they have to do is stick a grease gun on a nipple. If you're using Bearing Buddies, you certainly can't use short fiber grease. You can't pump the stuff, which is why it lasts so long: the action of the wheel doesn't pump it out of the bearings either.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
I won't rush out and repack the bearings. I'll wait until they need it and then try a different type of grease if the mood strikes me.
Oh, heck no. They're greased! You won't need to worry about it for a few thousand miles at least.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #35

Scott,
Trailer project looks to be coming along great !! Thought you were just going to temporarily mount the hitch and look at trailers at a later date.

I know the temptations of doing something !!

Looks great and will be waiting for added pics.

2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to donguer Send a message via Yahoo to donguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by radco
CJ, the set up is looking good and before and after pics will be a must......as fo Hauling a Keg and the goodies thay would be GREAT but you need to add a drain in the trailer for the melting ice, Porta Potty not needed ,,too expensive,, Just Wear DEPENDs, they are for people on the go who have to go ::)
"Depends" on while riding a motorcycle, Puts a whole new meaning to "Taking a sh++".

Old 08-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #37

CJ..Looking forward to the next set of fotos..

Old 08-04-2008, 04:32 PM   #38

I thought the port-a-potty was to go along with the keg...? didn't know it was for when you were riding! Don't know about the depends on the bike. Think i can wait till I see a gas station!

Old 08-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #39
Top Contributor

Weren't you supposed to break those bearings in with dino grease for the first 600 miles and then switch to synthetic Scott?

I really want to see the finished product

Old 08-05-2008, 10:38 AM   #40
Mega-Contributor

** moved to its own thread in BD's garage.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17