Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #31

Don't use the kill switch?

I've been trying to retrain myself to use the kill switch, realizing it's about being safe. Must be true what they say about old dogs, though.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #32

I always use the kill switch. I have a 02 and have to lean forward to turn the key, so I use the kill switch then turn the key off.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 09-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #33

I also use the kill switch. I have never seen one wear out on a Nomad but anythings possible. Oh, I bought a new battery(Parts Unlimited) one week prior to the National Rally in MV. It left me stranded today. Had to call a friend to pick me up. I checked my charging system and it put out 13 volts. I dont intend on buying another one. Back to the OEM battery. I guess I got what I paid for.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #34

usually by kickstand.......

Old 09-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar Guard
I checked my charging system and it put out 13 volts. I dont intend on buying another one. Back to the OEM battery. I guess I got what I paid for.
Tar Guard, if your charging system is only putting out 13 volts, your battery might not be your problem, you might want to check out your regulator/rectifiers, and or stators. Your charging system should be putting out 14 volts..........
Back on topic, 99% of the time I use the kick stand switch to shut the bike down before turning the switch off, the other 1% I uses the kill switch. I use the kill switch when I'm only going to be stopped for a short time, and not get off the bike, example..... going thru the drive-thru at the bank.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #36

I use the kill switch and have walked off several times with the switch on. The gel battery does not appreciate it at all. I have been fortunate enough to get jump start quickly every time. It helps to wave cash and jump cables.

No one has stolen the bike yet. I am trying to learn use the key and forget the switch. I blame Kawasaki, why let the headlight stay on when the engine is not running. The 230 cold cranking amp battery with a 16 amp hour is not going to handle that light for long and still start the bike. Its like, if the dummy doesnt get his bike stolen, we will make sure it wont start for the thief or the owner.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #37
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Explain to me again why using the kill switch is a good "safety" practice??? I swear I must have missed that.??? ::)

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 09-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Explain to me again why using the kill switch is a good "safety" practice??? I swear I must have missed that.??? ::)
It's the same as "I had to lay it down to avoid an accident."

Old 09-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #39
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
<chuckle>
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #40

FWIW Ma-Kaw says to use the ignition switch. (see attachment) Think I'll stick with the kick stand.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 09-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #41
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave

<chuckle>

+1. It's to save your 1k resistor.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 09-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #42

A tip from the Master Strategy Group:
http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=117

Short forum discussion on the tip
http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/to...?TOPIC_ID=1660
2008 Red/Black Nomad - Traded at 29500 miles

Old 09-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #43
Top Contributor

Take this from someone who has had a throttle cable break (on a previous bike...Honda)......

There is only one muscle the will involuntarily remember what to do immediately ...the rest you gotta figure out quick.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 09-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #44

No doubt! Hopefully, my first reaction woudl be to squeeze clutch and brake. However, I hope to have the instinct to be able to kill the engine shortly after. By using the kill switch routinely, rather than the key, it should be beat into my head that is the quickest way to kill the engine.
2008 Red/Black Nomad - Traded at 29500 miles

Old 09-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #45
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin City Stan
FWIW Ma-Kaw says to use the ignition switch. (see attachment) Think I'll stick with the kick stand.
Before You Dismount
Six things to do

By: James R. Davis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We all have our own unique way of doing things. Some people, for example, do exactly two things before they dismount their bikes: they turn off their ignition switch and they put down their side stand. Given a little thought about it, however, I think there are a few more details to attend to (however 'uniquely') before we dismount our motorcycles, and if we make a habit of doing them we can avoid some major trouble for ourselves.

•Use your engine cutoff switch to shut off your engine

Some people seem to think that switch is there for use only in an emergency. Not true. The reason you use the engine cutoff switch rather than the ignition switch to shut off your engine is because you do not have to take your hand off the grip in order to do so. Further, if you make a habit of doing so you will build 'muscle memory' as to where it is so that you can quickly and unerringly find it in the event of an emergency.
•Turn your ignition switch off

Obviously, unless you do this your lighting system is still on and your battery is discharging. By the way, it is good form to get into the habit of using your LEFT hand to turn off the switch (if possible) so that you can keep your front brake lever activated.

•Turn your fuel valve (if you have one) to the OFF position

A stuck needle valve in one of your carbs can allow a great deal of gasoline to leak past it. If a needle valve should happen to stick while your motorcycle is left in your garage overnight, that leaking gasoline can cost you your house and your life. When you start your motorcycle you should always turn your fuel valve to the RUN/ON position. Thus, by making it a habit of turning the valve off at night you also eliminate the risk of having left it in the reserve position (had it been there when you last dismounted) and running out of gasoline on the road somewhere.
•Put your side stand down - and confirm that it is locked in place

After leaning the bike onto the side stand you have insured that it is stable from side to side before you try to dismount. (Your bike should be in first gear and you should push the bike forward until all the play in your gears is gone before leaning the bike onto the side stand.)
•Turn your handlebars full-lock left

A motorcycle is several times more resistant to movement when the front wheel is not pointing straight ahead. Even a gentle nudge from behind can cause a motorcycle that is on its side stand to roll forward unless the front wheel is not pointing straight ahead.
•Squeeze the front brake lever

If you build these six steps into a habit that you always perform before dismounting, you are serious about ALL aspects of motorcycle safety.

Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]