Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #31

*** MEMBER NEEDS HELP! ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Just got off the phone with him. He's going to play with unplugging the kickstand switch and cleaning it. This question is it cranks and he has turn signals, fuel pump whine, head light tail light, getting full power. I'm only familiar with the kickstand switch allowing the motor to crank like its going to fire up but not starting. Kill switch will cause no cranking as the clutch lever switch too. I wasn't aware the ignition switch malfunction would allow the starter to turn and the injectors or coils not to fire.

I told Jared if he wanted to know for sure that he wasn't getting spark to do the radical test and hold the damn spark plug in your hand. Not fun but the results are conclusive!

Dennis was calling so we ended the call..
On my 99 (different switch) I was on an alone trip through desolate Southern Utah. Every time I turned the bike off, it would have a hard time starting. It would crank and crank, but no firing. I would try and try, it would start smelling like gas out the exhaust, but no start. When the battery would start slowing, and I'd think I was stuck for sure, it would all of a sudden fire up and run perfectly.

Next time I stopped, same thing. Right when I'd think that this time, I'm really screwed, it would fire.

It ended up being the ignition switch. I took an extra old one and combined them and it worked from there on out.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #32
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Don't know if this will help anything but I just went out and fired my bike up. With the sidestand down and in neutral it will fire up. With the sidestand down and in gear it will not even turn over. That may eliminate the sidestand issue.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 03-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #33
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

As Brad mentioned earlier a sure fire way to determine if it is getting fire is to hold the darn sparkplug in your hand. I have done that many a time with my cars back in the 60s. If it is firing you will know for sure then.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 03-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #34

I just gave him a final call. He's frustrated with the lack of tools. He can't even get his tank off becasue he's missing that size socket. Dennis is going to go help him after 5:00 with some tools.

Hopefully he salvages a trip out of it.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #35
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
I just gave him a final call. He's frustrated with the lack of tools. He can't even get his tank off becasue he's missing that size socket. Dennis is going to go help him after 5:00 with some tools.

Hopefully he salvages a trip out of it.
Maybe a trip from Provo to St George and back. People laugh at me for all the tools and crap I haul around. This is why.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #36

I carry a lot of tools in my saddlebags also CJ. I figure if I have the tools maybe someone will stop to help that knows how to use them. :-/
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #37

another great reason to be on this site. hats off to all who are taking time out of your day to try and get him up and running again. This is one of my bigger worries when I ride. Not a lot of local riding buddies so I have to travel solo to find the groups sometimes. getting stranded on the bike sounds like no fun! I always try to remember my laptop with internet connection and the basic staples for tools, more if I am going farther. But the the piece of mind to be able to post for help here while road side is priceless. good going guys!

Old 03-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #38

too far to fetch him with a trailer.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 03-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #39

Let's hope it is a simple fix.

Dave Mills AKA BiscuitsNGravy
2006 Vulcan Nomad "BiscuitsNGravy"
Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF
Patriot Guard Riders/American Legion #431

Old 03-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #40

I called his cell (no answer) left a message asking if I could sit in front of my computer and help him somehow. Or maybe track down a place (hotel) that might have internet access he can borrow.

I am west coast time so it is still early here....so he can call me if I can help somehow.

Wish I knew more than just change oil and fill the gas tank but that is why I bought a Nomad!
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 03-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #41

Utah just called to update me, and asked me to post here.

Dennis was super helpful, but the bike isn't running. Dennis took his ignition switch off his bike, put it on Utah's, and it changed nothing. They checked all that they could think of, and nothing.

Dennis was super gracious, and let Utah keep his bike overnight and tomorrow, and set him up with some riding buddies that are going through Zions tomorrow. So he still escaped the snow in Salt Lake, and is down in the warm sunshine riding a Nomad through my favorite place to ride, Zions.

Because of the snow in SLC, they took their bikes down on trailers and unloaded in St. George. So he has a place to stay, a bike to ride, and says to tell you all thanks for all your help and ideas.

Must have been a pretty damn frustrating day though. At least he was stuck in someone elses vacation condo, not on the side of the road.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:04 PM   #42

Wow...here is a big toast to Dennis! and everyone else!

VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 03-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #43
Sr. Contributor

Where was Mac Mac when we needed him? He seems to have a vast knowledge. He has probably forgotten more than I will ever know.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 03-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #44
Mega-Contributor

I was wondering if they might have trailered down, when I drove down I-15 last weekend, I was glad I was in a car and not on my bike.

It was very nice of Dennis to help out Jared the way he did.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #45
Sr. Contributor

CJ, I would like to think that any of us would have done it had we been in a position to help. I am sure Skeeter from Kerrville, TX would have gladly picked him up with his trailer if he had been closer. That is just the way it is with good bikers. Of course there are always a few jerks out there. Mostly nice people are what you usually find though.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181