Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #31
Sr. Contributor

Good news - Bad news

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
I passed thru that town back in 06 on my ride. From a legal standpoint there isn't much Bud can do. I bet in Buds records he has sold that item to someone near by and or the new maker bought one himself.

It's just too bad some people see no problem stepping on another guys toes.
We have two members from Morristown Tennessee...
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #32

Good news - Bad news

I'I’m not in any means saying that it is morally okay to copy someone else’s idea, but there is/was a way to protect your design and you opted not to. If the other guy is able to make it, market it, sell it at a better price, isn't that what the free market is all about? Now, you will be forced to create a better design, at a lower price, in order to get people’s attention. I say take this step back as a lesson. Make it slightly better and get a patent. JMO
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 01-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #33

Good news - Bad news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist
I'I’m not in any means saying that it is morally okay to copy someone else’s idea, but there is/was a way to protect your design and you opted not to. If the other guy is able to make it, market it, sell it at a better price, isn't that what the free market is all about? Now, you will be forced to create a better design, at a lower price, in order to get people’s attention. I say take this step back as a lesson. Make it slightly better and get a patent. JMO
Jared, This is no time to be sensible. We want revenge. ;)
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #34
Sr. Contributor

Good news - Bad news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist
You are right, but we are a small community. It's like pissing in the hot tub. While the guy had a right to do it, it still isn't nice or whatever word you want to use. Probably what strikes as dishonest is that it wasn't even an original idea. The guy is a second hander.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 01-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #35
Mega-Contributor

Good news - Bad news

There's no indication the builder owns a Nomad. Sure he has a Nomad in his advertising, but that could have been someone else's bike. No sense going on a witch hunt here. As Jared pointed out, the competitor may have been somewhat unethical, but he did nothing illegal.

Emerson said "Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door". Well, in this case it may be a slightly less expensive mousetrap.

VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #36
Sr. Contributor

Good news - Bad news

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
There's no indication the builder owns a Nomad. Sure he has a Nomad in his advertising, but that could have been someone else's bike. No sense going on a witch hunt here. As Jared pointed out, the competitor may have been somewhat unethical, but he did nothing illegal.

Emerson said "Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door". Well, in this case it may be a slightly less expensive mousetrap.
Tru dat and it was a learning experience for all.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 01-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #37

Good news - Bad news

Price is always an issue in the absence of value. Please don't forget that.

Being the "cheapest" isn't the way to go in my opinion. You win this "war" by providing the "Original", highest-quality product on the market that has been time-tested and has "loads" of testimony to its quality.

Secondly; I would plant the seeds of doubt about the quality of my competitor(s) product. This can be done easily and without sounding like you are directly slamming anyone else's product.

Basically, what I am saying is... market the Idaho Jack Adapter as the "Original" adapter; made with top-quality at a price that affords its quality. Bud... don't forget to sell it on those points.

Getting into a price-war is a bit like a p!ssing contest; which does nothing more than get p!ss on everyone involved. No one wins.

I would opt for keeping the price where it is... while taking claim to being the highest quality by the original designer who has years of experience.... while casting doubt as to a competitor's quality.

Think about it... does anyone want to drop their Nomad because of buying a lower-quality unit that costs just a few bucks less?

I think you see my point. ;)

Bud, I can send you a PM on a couple links to products that do exactly what I am saying.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 01-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #38

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Good news - Bad news

You guys all make some great points. Now that I have cooled off and have a plan developed it does indeed look like I will be able to produce these and get my costs down. It will mean that I have to do some of the labor but that will keep me busy and give me some satisfaction of a job well done.

Greg, I have had exactly those same thoughts about the best way to post on E-Bay. It will indeed tout the ORIGINAL Idaho Jack Adapter. And talk about the selling points that I think will seperate mine from others. One big item is the machined steel block vs the plates welded to the side. We considered that design and dismissed it because we felt that the machined blocks were stronger. I really don't want one of these to give way under someones ride. Another point I am going to make is that mine are all powdercoated for looks and durability. I have seen both and the powdercoat just makes a much nicer finish.

I'm getting very close to going into production. Just need some parts for the welder and a little practice to be able to make a clean weld.

As to the price. I may have enough room in the new finished product that I can still lower it from where I have been selling them. I will know as soon as I have some together and count up all of the current unknowns. (mostly welding supplies)

In a way this is a good thing because as some of you have said it spurred me into action to come up with a more efficient and cost effective way to make these. I was comfortable before because I was selling just enough to help with tires and oil and still keep the cost down. This has been a good thing.

I have to tell you that Joe Norris, aka Chuckster, has been a huge help here and I need to throw kudos his way. Thanks Joe.

Thank you all for your support. I'm proud to be a part of this site.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 01-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #39

Good news - Bad news

Bud, I know that this will all work out OK for you. I learned a long time ago that honesty and integrity always pay off in the long run. I've been involved in bidding out very large projects at our plant and the lowest bidder doesn't always get the job. Especially if that bidder is significantly lower than the other two or three bidding. Those that bid extremely high are usually swamped with work but bid high knowing they won't get the project but their name remains in the pool. Those that bid extrememly low will end up cutting corners to break even and worst case run out of capital. The job with a firm deadline comes to a halt with suppliers holding a lean on material and sub-contractors not getting paid for their labor. It ends up becoming a nightmare and the company the project is being built for ends up holding the bag. Not everyone looks at it this way with some not looking for quality workmanship over a dirt cheap price. They end up learning the hard way. As Greg and others has said, advertise your product as the original stressing quality material and workmanship and you won't go wrong. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. I wish we were closer. I'd have you burning wire like an expert in a matter of days.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 01-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #40
Sr. Contributor

Good news - Bad news

Bud you can make 2 models a shorter one like I talked with you about which might be the New and improved, but a choice for the Original is alwayan option.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 01-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #41

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Good news - Bad news

Mac, I am going to make them shorter as per your suggestion. Just one model.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 01-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #42

Good news - Bad news

What does shorter gain? Just askin'
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #43

Good news - Bad news

What would happens if the other guy patent's the adapter. Would Bud be screwed then?

Old 01-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #44
Sr. Contributor

Good news - Bad news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
What would happens if the other guy patent's the adapter. Would Bud be screwed then?
Bud needs to contact a pattent attorney. If they prove that there are numerous adapters available. The patent office might refuse to give anyone a patent.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 01-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #45
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Good news - Bad news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Hey !! very good point. I was wondering the same when someone said that the item was already "out there" and Bud left it too late/long. Seems to me that if I made something, I could wait till whenever I wanted to patent it. If there is no patent on the adapter what's stopping this "yah - who" from putting one on it? I hope you {Bud} slap a patent on the "new and improved" one, at least.

Is there a lawyer in the house!!! ?

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png