Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Fess Up Time

As some of you know I have been itching for a new ride for quite some time. All the new bikes out there and you guys getting new rides I decided to spoil myself and spend some major bank on a luxury touring bike.

Last Wednesday, my brother purchased my beloved 2006 Nomad. It has 42K pampered miles. Like some of you that let the ol girl go it pained me a little. Wednesday late afternoon I went to my local dealer that I have friends working at and picked up a 2013 Bronze Mist Victory Cross Country Tour.

Digressing some like a lot of you I gave up motorcycles to raise a family. I was out of the riding business for over 20 years. After reading Robert's adventures on Ruby Earl I contacted him and then went out and bought a new 2006 Green/silver Nomad. I couldn't believe how much motorcycles had changed! The Nomad was the most comfortable relaxed steed I'd ever ridden. Took it to South Dakota, Wyoming, Utah, Oregon, Nevada and Arizona.

Time continued on and my Nomad never let me down: Ever. Like all there comes a time where you weight the thought of having such an old high mileage bike that it almost becomes a worthless item. Sort of like my XR 600R in my garage. I should have sold that years ago!

Moving forward 7 years last December Marie and I test rode the Victory XCT at the Long Beach International bike show. If you haven't ridden one you should just to check out the differences between a Nomad, Voyager and Harley. If Honda made a V-Twin Gold Wing it would sound like the Victory. The Victory is the only bike that is bigger than my nomad as far as ergonomics go. Lots of us that have migrated to the voyager or Vaquero or Harley notice that they are a little more compact than the older Nomads are. The Victory also has a 2 inch lower saddle than my Nomad did. Nomads have their own personality as do Harleys. Nomad click and clack at times and Harleys sometimes sound like a industrial pump motor.

Not to say those are bad things but the sound of a Victory is like hearing the motor of an expensive European automobile. Most of us don't have to turn our heads to verify that we just either heard a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. The sounds they make are not mistaken for anything else. The refined sound of the Victory V-twin is that different.

Today I took a near 400 mile ride with Teri Conrad, her boyfriend John and another buddy of mine to the Salton Sea. This ride was over mountains, down in valleys, hair pin turns and climbing and descending and some super slab cruising.

A little about my Vic. As most know they are 106 cu in, six speeds, cruise control, heated driver and passenger seats, heated grips. Ipod hookup, information screen to navigate through the AM/FM XM AUX and weather channel. Wonderful sounding stereo speakers with bass, treble and fading options.

There is a toggle switch that allows me to navigate between 2 trip meters, instant MPG's, Average MPG's, average MPH, time on road, remaining miles left on fuel. Victory also has an extensive catalogue of accessories.

It also is one of the best handling motorcycles I've ever ridden. Aluminum frame monoshock. I just "think" turn and it does. I had to relearn some of my floor dragging days because I was cutting the corners in the mountains too tight! There is no comparison. Believe me. It's not even close. I've only been "holding hands" with her today but when I get to know her and take her to bed she's going to be a bullet in the mountains!

Today on a motor with less that 20 miles on it I averaged 42.9 in 400 miles. Mountains and super slab at 75 mph. Which coincides with 2800 rpms.

Well I've tooted my horn long enough but what a difference 7 years makes!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads