Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-21-2019, 07:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
I have one thought no one has touched on. How much weight do you have at or behind your rear wheel?? I had the issue with my 1500 Vulcan, but not my 1700 so far. How much do you carry in the bags? Is it possible you are to heavy on the load in the back to cause a slight lift on the front wheel?

I thought if you could lift the front and Spin the front tire to feel for cupping? I noticed you said it "LOOKS OK". But slight differences may be felt as you spin the tire.
There is no hesitation in the front part if raised! I tried to ride with empty bags - the same

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-21-2019, 07:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Well, a way to find out if your neck bearings are loose....is to center your handlebars while your bike is raised off the ground....the handlebars should not 'flop' to the steering stops. If it does, your steering is too loose!
While your bike is suspended off the ground, and firmly tied down so it won't fall, bend over, grab the forks at the axle, and pull up and release perpendicular to the lower forks.
...this will let you know if bearings have any slack. This will also tell you if the bushings in your forks are tight, also.

I realize that we are throwing alot at you to check on your bike, but you can't have ANY LOOSNESS there.
Hope that the language barrier won't keep us from helping you get your bike fixed....
As I have already said, in the front part, I replaced all the bearings with new ones, and tightened everything with a torque wrench on the manual! Raised the front axle, no swinging

Old 01-21-2019, 08:33 PM   #33
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepline View Post
As I have already said, in the front part, I replaced all the bearings with new ones, and tightened everything with a torque wrench on the manual! Raised the front axle, no swinging

Greetings
I had a similar problem. Turned out to be the front tire was starting to delaminate. It was not out of round but moved side to side. I had checked the steering bearings as advised and doubled the bearing torque. Still had the problem. When I replaced the front tire the problem was gone. And the tire didn't have many miles on it.

All I did was jack the front end up and spin the tire by hand. You could see the tire wobble side to side. Was not much of a side to side movement but it got real wild one time. I thought I was going to lose it before I was able to get control back.

Hope this helps.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:43 PM   #34

Since your front bearings are ok....which front tire are you running? How many miles on it? Its age? What air pressure are you running?
The big Vulcan cruisers are great bikes, but sometimes very tempormental with certain tires at certain psi....
MAS might pop up soon and give us his thoughts....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 01-21-2019 at 08:46 PM.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Since your front bearings are ok....which front tire are you running? How many miles on it? Its age? What air pressure are you running?
The big Vulcan cruisers are great bikes, but sometimes very tempormental with certain tires at certain psi....
MAS might pop up soon and give us his thoughts....
He posted this 2 pages ago.

"All elements were twisted with a torque wrench! Tires new METZELER MARATHON (front, rear) during the installation of tires problems with the wheels found. Rear pendulum tight. Tire pressure 2.5 atmospheres. It still seems to me that the problem is behind, since the belt for the season was very tight! Although I ate only in the city. It seems that the rear wheel is not properly positioned, but apparently I did not see it"
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-21-2019, 11:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
He posted this 2 pages ago.

"All elements were twisted with a torque wrench! Tires new METZELER MARATHON (front, rear) during the installation of tires problems with the wheels found. Rear pendulum tight. Tire pressure 2.5 atmospheres. It still seems to me that the problem is behind, since the belt for the season was very tight! Although I ate only in the city. It seems that the rear wheel is not properly positioned, but apparently I did not see it"
Duh....sorry..........brainfart.....metezler.
Working waaaay to much lately

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 01-22-2019, 09:27 PM   #37

Can anyone have any ideas other than the front axle?

Old 01-22-2019, 10:20 PM   #38
Top Contributor

The problem you described in your original post has been fixed by many forum members by tightening or replacing the steering bearings.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:48 AM   #39

Then it remains to wait for the summer! And try

Old 01-26-2019, 06:16 PM   #40
Advanced Member

My Vaquero has pushed the front around a little at about 30-40 MPH but keeping a decent grip on the handlebar eliminates the heebee jeebees. I noticed it particularly when I was running Michelin commander tires. It has never been a problem running Bridgestone Exedra Max tires but the Excedras wear too quickly. Always a compromise but when the speed picks up like the others said it balances out nicely.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:56 AM   #41

Greeting to Moscow!
I have read through your posts and would like to offer the following.

#1 - The Tapered Roller Bearings (All Balls) fixed the Wobbles on the 3 Voyagers I have owned. The Kawasaki Stock bearings are roller bearings - not the same.

#2 - Front wheel Alignment - Because the Voyager has a floating front axle you must align / square up the front forks before you tighten the 2 pinch bolts on right side.

Here is the best alignment process I have found.
* Loosen the 2 pinch bolts bottom right fork.
* Loosen 4 fender bolts (with the fender tight it can hold your forks out of alignment)
* Place front tire against something solid that won't move.
* Sit on bike and Bounce the forks up and down several times - 5 or 6 big bounces should work. You need to flex the shock.
* VERY IMPORTANT. Get a helper to tighten the pinch bolts to the specified torque spec while you are still on the bike holding it up square. DO NOT put bike on the side stand and get off the bike - this will change the axle alignment you set by bouncing it.
* Once pinch bolts are tight - get off bike and re-tighten the fender bolts.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:56 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post
(Snip)

Here is the best alignment process I have found.
* Loosen the 2 pinch bolts bottom right fork.
* Loosen 4 fender bolts (with the fender tight it can hold your forks out of alignment)
* Place front tire against something solid that won't move.
* Sit on bike and Bounce the forks up and down several times - 5 or 6 big bounces should work. You need to flex the shock.
* VERY IMPORTANT. Get a helper to tighten the pinch bolts to the specified torque spec while you are still on the bike holding it up square. DO NOT put bike on the side stand and get off the bike - this will change the axle alignment you set by bouncing it.
* Once pinch bolts are tight - get off bike and re-tighten the fender bolts.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Mike, awesome! Will be filing this away in the useful info section for sure.

Ride safe,
Smokier

Old 02-24-2019, 07:59 AM   #43

Well ... I will closely follow the theme , too, is interesting ;)