Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #511

Thumbs Up ECU and warranty Issues.....

I just dropped my Voyager off at my local dealership for the 7500 mile service and asked him if he had any problems with the ECU re-flash and the warranty. He said that was no problem and would not void my warranty. I was very glad to hear that as I have read that a few people have had issues with their dealerships.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-15-2016, 01:39 PM   #512

I haven't heard of anyone having issues with their dealerships. Why would you even bring it up to your dealership? That's just inviting them to deny a warranty claim. It's been discussed at length here that unless a mechanic physically pulls the ECU out to inspect it, something they more than likely will never do, there is no way for them to detect the ECU has been flashed. Too much information can often be a bad thing.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:49 PM   #513

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
I haven't heard of anyone having issues with their dealerships. Why would you even bring it up to your dealership? That's just inviting them to deny a warranty claim. It's been discussed at length here that unless a mechanic physically pulls the ECU out to inspect it, something they more than likely will never do, there is no way for them to detect the ECU has been flashed. Too much information can often be a bad thing.
The reason I brought it up is because I had to tell them not to plug in the 02 sensor when they were doing the service. I have a great relationship with him and I wanted to make sure that he had no issues with it. If he did I would have just told him I would have it re-flashed back to stock to satisfy him. I would not have done that but instead just purchased another ECU for installing when ever I had to take the bike in for service or repairs.

I would rather have this conversation with him before any warranty claims arise. If the 02 sensor was still plugged in then I would have never said anything about this.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 06-15-2016, 02:07 PM   #514

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
The reason I brought it up is because I had to tell them not to plug in the 02 sensor when they were doing the service. I have a great relationship with him and I wanted to make sure that he had no issues with it. If he did I would have just told him I would have it re-flashed back to stock to satisfy him. I would not have done that but instead just purchased another ECU for installing when ever I had to take the bike in for service or repairs.

I would rather have this conversation with him before any warranty claims arise. If the 02 sensor was still plugged in then I would have never said anything about this.
I didn't specifically talk to my dealer about the flash but I did ask him about modifications and upgrades. He told me that Kawasaki doesn't have a problem with them. In reality Ivan's reflash is probably safer for the bike than add on fuel management which a less knowledgeable user could really screw up. If anything, I expect to get more miles out of this bike from the cooler operating temperatures.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:21 PM   #515

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
I just dropped my Voyager off at my local dealership for the 7500 mile service and asked him if he had any problems with the ECU re-flash and the warranty. He said that was no problem and would not void my warranty. I was very glad to hear that as I have read that a few people have had issues with their dealerships.
I may have to have this conversation too. Today I had my Commanders put on and they have to take the exhaust off for the rear tire (only left side apparently). So I asked the wrench (who I know pretty well) if he plugged/unplugged anything and he said no. When it goes in for service I may go your route.
2002 Honda 750 A.C.E. (gone)
SCRC 2nd Officer Central Jersey Chapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-16-2016, 01:38 AM   #516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erilflynn View Post
And the 02 Sensor
Anyone know why you have to disconnect the O2 sensor?

Old 06-16-2016, 02:14 AM   #517

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADTIME View Post
Anyone know why you have to disconnect the O2 sensor?
Yes... Ivan does. Give him a call, or check through his thread (this thread!)

Edit: The flash renders the sensor obsolete. It will only interfere with Ivan's fuel mixture, and mess things up.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Last edited by Peg; 06-16-2016 at 02:18 AM.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:03 AM   #518

Exhaust Removal?

Quote:
I may have to have this conversation too. Today I had my Commanders put on and they have to take the exhaust off for the rear tire (only left side apparently). So I asked the wrench (who I know pretty well) if he plugged/unplugged anything and he said no. When it goes in for service I may go your route.
The reason they would remove the left exhaust is so they can pull out the rear axle. While I do not remove the exhaust - I do remove both shocks which allows me to jack up the rear tire until the axle clears the left pipe. Sounds like 2 different ways to skin the same cat.

Mike (Red_VGR)

Old 06-16-2016, 01:32 PM   #519
Advanced Member

I guess I am lucky, no exhaust can removal on mine for tire changes, with the 2-1 pipe.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:18 PM   #520

Just got the Ivan flash today. Called this morning and asked if it could be done today. Ivan told me to come on up. I took the 2.5 hour drive from Newark, DE to Congers, NY. All told, it took about 45 minutes or so. It was only that long because he was shipping multiple orders of flashed ECUs when I arrived. The flash makes a huge difference in my 2012 Vaquero. 6th gear is ridiculous when passing now. Downshifting is extremely smooth. Not one pop from the exhaust. I can't really speak to gas mileage yet because I was very heavy on the throttle for the ride home (indicated 110 at one point on the NJ Turnpike). $350 well spent. If you haven't gotten it done, do it

Old 06-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #521

I thought about planning a site seeing trip up to Congers since it would be around 10 hour ride for me from NC. I can't get away from work now and I didn't want to wait any longer for the flash so I mailed my ECU to Ivan yesterday. Can't wait for the improved performance.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:06 PM   #522
Advanced Member

Quote:
Let your wrench know next time that its not necessary to remove the muffler to remove the axel in order to remvoe the rear wheel.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:43 PM   #523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
Yes... Ivan does. Give him a call, or check through his thread (this thread!)

Edit: The flash renders the sensor obsolete. It will only interfere with Ivan's fuel mixture, and mess things up.
A little tidbit of info:
I took the bike to Ivan's, had the reflash done, then didn't notice until about 20 minutes later that my ABS light was still on following start-up test. Turns out that Ivan inadvertently disconnected my ABS plug rather than my O2 sensor. I corrected the problem, but didn't notice any ill effects from leaving the O2 sensor plugged in, nor any changes in bike behavior after unplugging it. Lesson learned here is that if you are a bit worried about your dealer and didn't want to discuss the reflash with him, simply plug the sensor back in for the service.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #524

Got a call today that my ECU is on it's way back from Ivan. Does anyone have a link to something on how to disconnect the O2 sensor? I have a 2016 Vaquero that is stock so need to leave the sensor in the exhaust pipe until I decide if I want to change the pipes. Do I disconnect it at the pipe or where?

Old 06-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #525
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsilver1968 View Post
Got a call today that my ECU is on it's way back from Ivan. Does anyone have a link to something on how to disconnect the O2 sensor? I have a 2016 Vaquero that is stock so need to leave the sensor in the exhaust pipe until I decide if I want to change the pipes. Do I disconnect it at the pipe or where?
Does the tune require disabling the 02 sensor? If not, some aftermarket pipes should have the bung for the 02 sensor on them.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11